LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 09-16-2003, 10:08 PM   #21
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
Geladen is the German word for loaded. A 1906 American Eagle with a Geladen marked extractor could mean that the extractor has been replaced. But more than likely it was assembled using up leftover or mixed in German parts. Some of the very early 1906 American Eagle Lugers even had "Gesichert" (German word for safe or secured) in the safety area, which might be attributed to using up left over frames from the 1906 Navy Commercial production. These Gesichert marked 1906 Eagles will be found in the low 25000 serial number range. They are quite scarce and 100% authentic.
Unread 09-27-2003, 11:25 PM   #22
Joe Y
User

I have a couple of questions for anyone. Exactly how many rounds did the 1906 commercial Luger magazine hold?

Also, if I keep the gun well oiled is there any issue with storing it in a felt lined box?

I know it used 7.65 ammunition. The gun came with a couple of old boxes of Remington 30 Luger which I thought was equivalent. But it also came with some German ammo which is smaller in diameter, labeled 7.65 (.32). What have I got here?

Also, I have seen German "Pistoile" and "Pistoilen". Can anyone tell me the difference?
Joe Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2003, 11:57 PM   #23
Joe Y
User

In my last message I was wondering about the "e" vs "en" ending. I think I made up the "oil" part, just my imagination I guess.
Unread 09-28-2003, 12:16 AM   #24
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
Joe,
"e" is singular, "en" is plural.
Unread 09-28-2003, 06:38 AM   #25
Roadkill
User

Morning, I'll add a little more to Tac's excellent as alwats reply, the .30 Luger bullet and the .32 bullet are very close in diameters, the .32 is .311"-.314", the .30 pistol is .308".
Its the case shape that makes them noncompatable.
Reference the felt case, moisture/humitity is the
destroyer of guns, felt or any such material is a moisture magnet,provided the humidity is removed and the gun well protected it should be alright as long as ut is checked and maintained regularly.
Welcome to the forum. Tac, you coming down south when you get here?

rk

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2003, 08:37 AM   #26
Joe Y
User

Gentlemen, Thank you all for the information and assistance. Per a previous question - How many rounds did a commercial 1906 magazine hold?
Unread 09-29-2003, 10:08 AM   #27
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
The original magazine holds 8 rounds... some of the latest commercial magazines that could be used only hold 7 rounds due to their construction.

...and Welcome to the Luger Forum Joe from a fellow Virginian.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2003, 10:39 PM   #28
Joe Y
User

Thanks for the reply John and the welcome from a local.

As I mentioned before I am building a box to store my Luger. I was thinking about making storage areas in the box to hold a loading tool, cleaning rod, and possibly a self contained cleaning kit. (Hopefull future procurements!). I have seen several of these items on the internet but for later model Lugers. Are there such items unique to the 1906? I dont have the patience to find and buy these items before I build my display box. Does anyone have any general dimensions on the three items mentioned so I can make appropriate storage compartments. Thanks in advance for any information.

Regards,
Joe
Unread 10-01-2003, 11:30 AM   #29
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Joe Y,

Unless building boxes is something that you aspire to do, may I recommend that you take a look at the website of our illustrious webmaster emeritus...

Les Center (aka Dok)

http://www.centercustomcases.com/

Here is one he did for a Navy Luger and he builds them to order...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2003, 10:44 PM   #30
Joe Y
User

Oh thanks John. I am looking at my humble beginnings and thinking .... firewood.

Those are absolutely beautiful cases.