LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 09-05-2003, 09:22 AM   #21
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts
Has to be a FORD
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2003, 11:53 AM   #22

Ed (Jack and other guys),

This target was a 7 shot group fired carefully (two hands, slow fire, good sight focus, etc. etc.) but not from a rest. The range was about 60 feet (the target distance is anywhere you put your target frame here in WV). My gun has a slightly improved trigger and it is well sighted in (both per Hugh's instructions), but the trigger is still heavy and gritty per 1911 standards.

I admit that I can't do this every day, I usually drop more than one shot from the group and it is very hard to shoot this gun rapidly. Nevertheless, the inherant accuracy of this gun is uncanny. If I do my part, it never drops the shot out of the black.

Review some of Thor's targets again. These guns are amazing. Get yourselves some glasses that put the sights in focus (I need them desperately, I turned 69 today), pick up a bushel of ammo and go practice-practice-practice.

I have other accurate guns that are much easier to shoot (especially in rapid fire), but none including my match 1911s that will group like this one.

Gotta go now. It's off to the range--happy birthday to me.
Unread 09-05-2003, 04:43 PM   #23
jackz
User

Gentlemen...Been reading about their quality control and hand fitted parts, they surely are target pistols. Boy, did the accuracy question open my eyes.
Everything makes another question: There are definetly (no shooting) collectables. Then there are the shooters. Seems that the shooters are made from mismatched parts. Wouldn't that lead to less accurate shooters with malfunctions?

I was snooping around last night about holsters. a fellow was trying to id the markings. By the time the posts were getting to the end, not only was it id'd but almost the person who did the stiching was named. Where/how do you possibly know all this stuff. It is incredable!!! I hope all the info is being saved somewhere for all humanity..
Regards, Jack
jackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2003, 11:20 PM   #24

Jack,

My '36 Mauser is a shooter because it has been refinished and the grips replaced. It is not cobbled up from a lot of mismatched parts. All parts are matching and it looks to be in great condition. However, it has been salt blued and everything is blue, even the parts that should be strawed. Therefore, it is not a collector.

That's great as far as I'm concerned because the price I paid for it was reasonable. (As I said before, I am a shooter not a hard core collector.) I should also note that it is tight enough that it must be cleaned and lubed after about 200-250 rounds, unburned powder residue starts to induce malfunctions.
Unread 09-06-2003, 12:58 AM   #25
jackz
User

Thanks AGE...I am starting to put some education together and think I see what the dividing line is.
Suppose for a minute that my P-08 (I think this is how it is said it should be referred to) never happens. (I shudder on that!) What would a real world price be for a nice shooter? One that upon buying, take it and start shooting. (No work or checking out) Something from a really reliable person/dealer. I do realize that most of the fun is in the hunt. (Been there but only AFTER I know what I'm doing!)
Thank you, Jack

If anybody wants to jump in, please do. Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thanx
Unread 09-06-2003, 10:46 AM   #26

Jack,

I admit that I paid $500 for my '36 Mauser and also bought grips and a couple of magazines. I never like to add up this stuff, but the total for that gun is well below $600. I'm happy with the deal, but others often brag about better deals.

Remember, all of these guns are old-old-old. Mine are 68 (Mauser) and 88 (DWM) years old (but I also shoot 1911 Colts which are at least 76 years old). Neither of the Lugers have perfect barrels; both are decent but have dark bores. Either one may malfunction at any time and I realize that. Since I shoot them, I realize that I may break something, but if it happens I will just replace that part with an unmarked part.

Regarding safety, you can't be too careful. I wouldn't choose either gun for self defense because of their ages and awkward safety. I would never carry one with a loaded chamber. I suppose that there is even a slight chance of a blowup, but I only use relatively mild Wal-Mart Winchester ammo and pray that that won't occur.

Good luck and be careful.
Unread 09-06-2003, 04:44 PM   #27
jackz
User

AGE...Thank you for your sincere honest reply. I know I have a lot to learn. This seems to be a very interesting area of firearms.
I had been giving thoughts about the Sharps Rifles but there really isn't anywhere to shoot them (in Vermont)to their potential 800/900/1000 yds. As though I could see that far! I get whims sometimes. The P-08's though...hmmmm!
I have a "Holy Grail" collectable sxs shotgun (only 22 made in ALL gauges) that I think it's about time to 'pass on'. It would take a while to sell being a niche market. A Luger(s) on the other hand would be almost instantanious for heirs to dispose of.
It is strange, I never thought I would be really interested in handguns. Now I see myself being drawn in. I have shot Ruger .22 target pistols and enjoyed shooting them. (I impressed myself) The "Luger" grip is just so right!
My true loves are Lever Actions. Funny, I feel defensless if they are not nearby. I quess it's what you are used to.(55years of shooting them) Who knows, with luck maybe I could get another good 15/20 years with a P-08. By then I would have to tie it to something to steady it!
Regards, Jack
Unread 09-06-2003, 11:47 PM   #28

Jack,

I started shooting in high school--got a letter with my Remington 513T, then Uncle Sam familiarized me with the M1 Garand. These are two great rifles that I still own. Yes, the old cowboy movies motivated me to buy a couple of Winchester 94s. Neat, but poor shooters unless scoped and then not so neat. Then I found the AR-15 when the media began knocking it. I had to have one and it's the greatest of all rifles in my opinion. Mine has a red dot sight--accurate and fast.

My real interest however is handguns. Colt single actions are the neatest works of art and would have been real innovations in 1873. The movies and TV undoubtedly influenced me, but I love them (I have two). I could still live with one as my only gun, but they aren't the best shooters. Lugers are the next neatest works of art, feel great, shoot great, etc. but are difficult to shoot fast or well. Overall, the Colt 1911 .45 is my favorite shooter (I have a bunch of them in all varieties) as it is very accurate (at least when worked over by an expert--although it won't group as well as a Luger), highly reliable, easy to get parts or service for, and is easy to shoot fast and hit things with.

I guess it is obvious that I am a real gun nut. Funny, I'm not even a hunter and certainly not a hard core collector. I just like to punch paper and have participated in both rifle and pistol matches for almost 60 years. I like them all (and have most of them) but I prefer the name brand U.S. guns with the exception of the Luger. Maybe the various spy and war movies attracted me to them. Anyway, get your Luger out to the range whenever you can and enjoy your Ruger, Sharps, etc. By the way, join the NRA if you haven't done so yet.