LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 07-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #21
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Eric, a little of topic, how did you get such wonderful closeup, I just bought a new kodak, and mine dont compair, Tks
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #22
dgallo
User

Hey Norm,

Unfortunately I did not get the shoulder straps with the gun, I doubt he had them. As far as the magazine goes, are you refering to the clip that slides into the handle? Or do you mean a metal case or someting to hold extra ammo? Sorry to sound so duft here boys, but this is new to me, but the more I read about this Luger the more I like it. I plan on passing this gem down to my son some day when he is old enough to appreciate this weapon and the history behind it. Also another question. How do you recommend I preserve the gun? I know the obvious such as keep it in a dry place and under lock and key, but should I coat it with some type of gun oil or something so it doesn't get any suface rust? I live in New England, so we have hot humid summers and cold ass winters. Thanks all.
dgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #23
Big Norm
RIP

Tak,
Chelsea sounds familiar. That could be because we have a city in Michigan by the same name. She might be in contact with them. My lady friend who volunteered me to do the shelve work will be seeing her today and I requested more information about John William Richardsons (also called "Bill") military background for you. Her name is Dafney (how's that for a good, solid, British, womans name?).

Apparently, heroism runs in the family gene pool. She also has some medals of Bills father who fought in
WW1. Sadly, she doesn't have any Lugers. I don't know if she has any war pictures. She is a member of the Michigan Daughters of the British Empire and quite proud of her background. So I am sure that her war stuff would be authentic. Send me a message via the forums mail box with your email address and I will give you information as it comes in from Dafney.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #24
Big Norm
RIP

dgallo,
first and most important, when you oil/grease your artillary, remove the grips. The oil will saturate the wood, cause the wood to darken and eventually deteriorate.

Second, the Luger uses a magazine and nor a clip. A clip is a little metal thingy that holds the ammo by the base of the bullet casing. When loading, the bullets are then slide down the clip into whatever holds the ammo in the weapon. With a magazine, the entire metal casing that hold the ammo is slide into the weapon.

For storing your Luger, a large numer of people here use a soft casing from Bore Stores.
www.pistoleer.com/borestores
This gun case is made from wool, is breathable and is silicone impregnated. You could probably get it at numerous gun shows. For the artillary, it would be the 12 inch case which is size P-4 from Bore Stores.

Jerry Burney is the wizzard of leather. He would be much better than me to give you good advice regarding your holster.

On which oil/grease to use, everyone here has a favorite. On my better Lugers that I don't plan to shoot, I use Vasoline Petroleum Jelly. But I have been chastized for using that on the forum. I like it because it doesn't wick off onto the gun case while in storage. With a little heat, it softens a lot and becomes easy to wipe off if I decide to show the gun to anybody. Other people here use a pasty oil based substance that I have only seen at gun shows. I forget the name but it is good stuff. All this is if you plan to store the gun for a long period of time and your weather is like it is here in Michigan...very humid or very cold. Well, thats better than hurricans in Florida, floods in New Orleans and mud slides and forest fires in California.

If you plan to take this gun out and shoot it. Then just a good coating of oil will do. I have also been chastized on the forum for suggesting car oil. New not used (Hee! Hee!). Others here on the forum have there own personal preferences. Possibly there best oil you can buy is sewing machine oil. You don't have to go that far though. But the most important thing is to keep a good coating on your weapon. Learn how to field strip your weapon. You don't have to know how to totally take every piece off of it off. You can do that much later when you get more comfortable with it.

Finally, do not use a screw driver the pry open the 'Take Down Lever' (With great emphasis). Many newbies do that and end up breaking the lever. Put the butt of the pistol in your stomach, then push down on the tip of the barrel for about a quarter of an inch and the lever will move quite easily. Then remove the side plate.

When putting the gun back together, look for a metal part on the end of the receiver at the end that looks like a "T". This will fit into a slot on the frame when you slide the upper and lower parts together. Put the butt of the handle onto your stomach and push the tip of the barrel down about a quarter of an inch. the put the side plate into place and then push the 'Locking Bolt Lever' closed. If the metal "T" is not placed right you will not be able to reassemble the Luger.

I hope this helps. Have fun shooting and bragging.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote