LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 08-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #21
RWS
User

You have few boxes and, at least, one of twohem is opened. They are collectible and a lot of collectors dream with a sealed box. Keep them.

But it is pleasure hard to explain the act of fire the ammo designed for your gun, you have a part of history in your hand loaded with the proper ammo. Shoot a mag or two (16rds) and feel the experience.

A few weeks ago I shot a 25rds. box of 1931 9mm Largo trough my Astra 400 made in 1931.
RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 05:39 PM   #22
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,988 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
the act of fire the ammo designed for your gun
Steel cased 9x19 wasn't exacly designed for the P08, and even if you do shoot it, performance will be less than that of modern ammunition, the risk is greater. Why bother?
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #23
Composite
User

Ok.I will not fire my Luger with this ammunition,but what kind of ammunition did the germans use in the Luger under ww2?
If they use this ammunition,many guns used in ww2 will have barrel wear.My Luger has the original barrel and have been used by the germans under ww2, but it looks almost like new.....

(sorry for my bad english)
Composite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #24
Jack Lawman
User

Default Your mileage may vary...

Ballpark values:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=168838457

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=173609335

These types of auctions are usually about the highest price available. Unopened boxes add value (I don't know how much more).

Jack
Unread 08-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #25
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,988 Times in 1,205 Posts

There is a lot more WW2 surplus ammo going around in Europe than in the US, it seems. Especially since Norway and Eastern-Europe started cleaning their warehouses (and Interarms went out of business in the late nineties).

An average sealed WW2 box will do about 25 Euros. WW1 boxes, depending on condition and rarity can go up to 50. The rarest ones (like proof round boxes) can easily do 100+ on a good day.

Biggest problem at the moment is getting them out of Europe and into the US with current regulations.

We sell new brass 9x19 for about 25 cents a piece. A WW2 round averages at 1.50 - 1.60 a piece.

And when shooting WW2 ammo, you just may be shooting that rare batch of experimental or low production volume ammo without knowing it.

About barrel wear: Many 'captured' P08's spent most of their time in their holsters. Even during the final stages of WW2 the P08 was hardly considered to be an effective combat fire arm by most. And many had little or no desire to test the combat abilities of the pistol at all. The majority of souvenir guns was taken during disarming of rear echelon troops anyway.

On the other hand, on the Russian side, the gun saw more action and it isn't a surprise that the DDR had to replace so many barrels on their pistols. And, going back to an old discussion on the forum: I believe that barrels were changed out much more frequently than we usually think.

Also note that companies that imported surplus pistols after the war would have selected the best ones for resale and probably salvaged the rest for parts (or had them refurbished). This may also explain the larger number of good condition barrels on the US collector market today.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 07:00 AM   #26
Composite
User

This is a picture taken in Norway summer 1942.
This is Luftwaffe training camp,1 hour drive from Oslo
I wanted to share this Luger picture with you.
9 Lugers!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	luger luftwaffe.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	14626  

Composite is offline   Reply With Quote