LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 07-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #21
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

I also would be interested in the pics/article.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #22
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

If you Email me the jpegs, I can create a compressed PDF file.

Marc
Unread 07-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #23
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

I suppose after 28 years no one will get their knickers in a wad if I post .jpg images of the Shooting Times article on trigger adjustment. They are a bit fuzzy but I think they are OK for folks that have enough gunsmithing skills. If you can't grasp what the procedure is, you probably shouldn't be messing with the gun in the first place. I assume absolutely no liability for any modifications to any Luger using this aricle...it is provided for information purposes only and should not be attempted by anyone other than a qualified and licensed gunsmith.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trig Tune 1r.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	27848  

Name:	Trig Tune 2r.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	27849  

Name:	Trig Tune 3r.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	27850  

Unread 07-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #24
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,940 Times in 1,196 Posts

Good article.

My 1937 S/42 had a very, very strong trigger spring in it, which forced me to build up so much pressure that I would twist the gun slightly sideways and downwards. Quite annoying. A simple fix was the installation of a softer (Swiss 06/29) trigger spring. Made a world of difference.

So before bringing out the drills, taps and screws, try the simple approach first
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 07-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #25
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
I suppose after 28 years no one will get their knickers in a wad if I post .jpg images of the Shooting Times article...
Way to go, Ron! Take a walk on the wild side...

In that article's first page, the upper pic of a Luger barrel...What model/make Luger is that??? Is that the Mauser (with a 6" barrel) that the author was referring to???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

I should have posted that after I took a nap...it has been 38 years since the article was published.
Unread 07-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #27
Blastattack
User

Excellent! Thank you! Any chance you can Re-post this article in a fresh thread and have it stickied? That would be invaluable for all current and future members.
Blastattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:28 AM   #28
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Making a Luger trigger mimic that of an M1911 is a fool's errand. In effect, this method eliminates the first stage of the trigger action that was designed and built in a two stage pattern. It is an unsafe procedure that cannot be recommended under any circumstances.
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:43 AM   #29
earlyluger
User

Saved the article just because I save info and data against future need. I do not think I will try this mod, it is not like I can replace things on a matching serial numbered 1900 model. But good stuff to know.
earlyluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #30
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
by SLIGHTLY bending the front tang of the trigger outward and/or VERY SLIGHTLY bending the trigger lip that engages the trigger lever downward.
Someone had done this to my 29/70 Mauser. I carefully straightened it out to regain the famous mile-long pull!
Unread 07-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #31
Blastattack
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zeleny View Post
Making a Luger trigger mimic that of an M1911 is a fool's errand. In effect, this method eliminates the first stage of the trigger action that was designed and built in a two stage pattern. It is an unsafe procedure that cannot be recommended under any circumstances.
I challenge that statement. What evidence do you have to support any of that?

I would hardly qualify the Luger as having a "two stage" trigger. A proper two stage trigger divides the total pull between the two stages, requiring a greater and longer pull in the first stage, and requiring a shorter but much lighter (not to mention crisp) pull in the second. The Luger's pull consists of taking the slack out f the mechanism, which takes a couple ounces, and then the full 7-8lbs in the last bit of movement. I also fail to see how such modifications are unsafe when done properly. If the instructions are followed to a T and the user does not over adjust the trigger to break on a hair, the pistol should work perfectly fine and be 100% safe. I'm sure Herbert Werle does a very similar procedure to this, and he seems to enjoy a very good reputation, both here and abroad.
Unread 07-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #32
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastattack View Post
I challenge that statement. What evidence do you have to support any of that?

I would hardly qualify the Luger as having a "two stage" trigger. A proper two stage trigger divides the total pull between the two stages, requiring a greater and longer pull in the first stage, and requiring a shorter but much lighter (not to mention crisp) pull in the second. The Luger's pull consists of taking the slack out f the mechanism, which takes a couple ounces, and then the full 7-8lbs in the last bit of movement. I also fail to see how such modifications are unsafe when done properly. If the instructions are followed to a T and the user does not over adjust the trigger to break on a hair, the pistol should work perfectly fine and be 100% safe. I'm sure Herbert Werle does a very similar procedure to this, and he seems to enjoy a very good reputation, both here and abroad.
Please Google "Druckpunkt Parabellum".
Unread 07-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #33
Blastattack
User

Quote:
Please Google "Druckpunkt Parabellum".
I'm not sure I understand. Clearly the Swiss devised a method to improve the trigger pull of their Lugers. I cannot and will not argue the effectiveness and relative merits of their modification. However, that does not explain why the method described in the article is inherently wrong or dangerous. It simply seems like another way to skin a cat. If done properly, with great care and attention, as well as the proper tools, I cannot see how it would be any less effective than what the Swiss devised.
Unread 07-31-2012, 12:10 AM   #34
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand. Clearly the Swiss devised a method to improve the trigger pull of their Lugers. I cannot and will not argue the effectiveness and relative merits of their modification. However, that does not explain why the method described in the article is inherently wrong or dangerous. It simply seems like another way to skin a cat. If done properly, with great care and attention, as well as the proper tools, I cannot see how it would be any less effective than what the Swiss devised.
Both DWM and W+F Parabellum factory manuals identify the trigger pull as possessed of a Druckpunkt, i.e. two staged. We could go on to talk sear engagement geometry, but I'm quite happy to rest my case on this appeal to the bona fide supreme Luger authority. The distinct stages are especially noticeable on Swiss M1929 Lugers.
Unread 07-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #35
Blastattack
User

Quote:
Both DWM and W+F Parabellum factory manuals identify the trigger pull as possessed of a Druckpunkt, i.e. two staged. We could go on to talk sear engagement geometry, but I'm quite happy to rest my case on this appeal to the bona fide supreme Luger authority. The distinct stages are especially noticeable on Swiss M1929 Lugers.
I'm just saying that in my limited experience with Luger the trigger has not resembled anything close to a two stage pull. Maybe it was and I just didn't feel it, I don't know. It just felt heavy, period. Regardless, you have not even attempted to defend your original statement that "It is an unsafe procedure that cannot be recommended under any circumstances". How is it unsafe and why would you not recommend it? If properly executed by a competent machinist, what specific procedure renders the modifications unsafe?As to the elimination of the first stage; so what? Just because something is or was designed as such, does not make it right or better than anything else. Why can't a well tuned Luger trigger emulate that of a well tuned 1911? Unless you plan on illustrating why these modifications are dangerous, I see no reason for you to bother mentioning it.

I'm more than happy to listen to a counter argument, but arguing something based on status quo simply does not fly.
Unread 07-31-2012, 11:43 PM   #36
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Why can't a well tuned Luger trigger emulate that of a well tuned 1911?
Because a striker fired pistol requires a broader safety margin in sear engagement, than a hammer fired one.
Unread 08-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #37
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default luger trigger pull..

take up isn't undesirable or critical, and as mentioned earlier, probably only a few ounces... probalby need not be addressed for any purpose?? Over travel is probably not wanted.. especially excessive.. I'm pretty sure most lugers don't suffer from this anyway.. most of the ones i have had broke clean at the far end of the trigger travel anyway... But, that being said... Pull weight reduction is probably important, and also a crisp sear break, which probably will require some part modification. ...???... That's where one needs to dwell... two distinct stages are necessary in a Luger.. Not really a two stage trigger... ,,, Want to spend some time, it can be done.. Probably as good as any in a one off situation.. Hard to beat the 1911 in this arena. But, I happen to like Lugers.....Best to all, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 03:56 AM   #38
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
take up isn't undesirable or critical, and as mentioned earlier, probably only a few ounces... probalby need not be addressed for any purpose?? Over travel is probably not wanted.. especially excessive.. I'm pretty sure most lugers don't suffer from this anyway.. most of the ones i have had broke clean at the far end of the trigger travel anyway... But, that being said... Pull weight reduction is probably important, and also a crisp sear break, which probably will require some part modification. ...???... That's where one needs to dwell... two distinct stages are necessary in a Luger.. Not really a two stage trigger... ,,, Want to spend some time, it can be done.. Probably as good as any in a one off situation.. Hard to beat the 1911 in this arena. But, I happen to like Lugers.....Best to all, til...lat'r...GT
I am not sure what you are saying, but in the terminology of the article under discussion, the mutually bearing surfaces of the trigger bar and the firing pin are cut at an angle so as to interlock, for reasons of safety. If anyone here is foolish and reckless enough to try this modification at home, I'm willing to bet that I can fire his modified Luger without touching its trigger.
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:19 AM   #39
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default sear engagement..

Hi Michael... well, to keep it short.. a'lot can be done in just the sear notch location.. keeping it a 90% as designed, polished, build up.. cut back, shortened, lengthened, what ever suits the unique demands that each Luger would require.. I'm not saying is SHOULD be done.... I'm just saying it could be done... And, of course, a luger with .020" slop between the cannon ass'y and frame would not be a cantidiate for this type of work!!! ...... As mentioned earlier.. it just takes a crap pot full of parts, and time, and money, and all three escape me! ... .. I've seen it before.. in just about evey thing i ever tried to compete in.. ....Best to you Michael, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:39 AM   #40
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Hi Michael... well, to keep it short.. a'lot can be done in just the sear notch location.. keeping it a 90% as designed, polished, build up.. cut back, shortened, lengthened, what ever suits the unique demands that each Luger would require.. I'm not saying is SHOULD be done.... I'm just saying it could be done... And, of course, a luger with .020" slop between the cannon ass'y and frame would not be a cantidiate for this type of work!!! ...... As mentioned earlier.. it just takes a crap pot full of parts, and time, and money, and all three escape me! ... .. I've seen it before.. in just about evey thing i ever tried to compete in.. ....Best to you Michael, til...lat'r...GT
I won't argue with anything of that, Gerald. All I can say is that the best Luger trigger pull I have experienced is on a factory target pistol with a stock sear geometry. Here is a record I made with a Lyman electronic trigger gauge, of trigger pull averaged over 10 measurements:
  • 7.63x25mm Borchardt C93 SN 1774: 2.59kg
  • 9mm Para Krieghoff P08 SN 3249: 3.48kg.
  • 7.65mm Para W+F P06/1929 National Match SN 59951: 2.64kg
  • 7.65mm Para W+F P06/1929 National Match SN 65721: 2.15kg
  • 7.65mm Para W+F P06/1929 SN 71644: 3.80kg
  • 7.65mm Para W+F P06/1929 SN 77493: 2.57kg
  • 9mm Para SIG P49 SN A204931: 2.88kg
  • 9mm Para SIG P49 SN A156213: 2.90kg
  • 9mm Para SIG P49 SN A107159: 2.75kg
  • 9mm Para SIG P49 SN A105553: 2.56kg
  • 9mm Para SIG P210-2 SN P74064: 1.86kg
  • 9mm Para SIG P210-1 SN P77209: 1.94kg
  • 7.65mm Para SIG P210-6HF SN P79103: 1.24kg
  • 9mm Para SIG P210-6HF SN P79136: 1.82kg
  • 9mm Para SIG P210-6HF SN P79608: 1.20kg
  • 9mm Para SIG P210-6HF SN P79609: 1.23kg
  • 9mm Para SIG P210-2 SN P79980: 1.67kg
  • 9mm Para SIG P210-6 SN P86618: 1.78kg
All are double pull, with a very crisp stage transition (Druckpunkt). You can tell which guns have been resprung.