LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 01-05-2004, 10:47 PM   #21
wterrell
User

Pete is correct.
If I purchase a copy of a book, I do not have to keep the book bound. I can separage each page and place a page in every room in the house. I can even take a page with me in the auto to read as my wife drives. I might even take a leaf or two to the outhouse.
I purchased the book and I do not have to keep it assembled.
The same applies to the CD pics.

Another subject: copyright is a legal process. If a picture has not been legally copyrighted, it is not copyrighted nor recorded with the US gov't. Some pics come under copyright protection as content of a copyrighted publication, but if the publication is not copyrighted, the publisher has just issued the pic into the public domain and relinquished ownership and claim to the pic.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2004, 10:53 PM   #22
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by wes:
<strong>Pete is correct.
If I purchase a copy of a book, .....</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Thats called "private use". Want to argue? Feel free. Do it on the Forum, so all can enjoy. I'll respond - when I have a few minutes.

BTW: Pete has a lot of learning to do - ask him how to pause a screensaver and take a snapshot.

Duh.

John D.
John D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 12:41 AM   #23
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
The CD is being sold as a screen saver, not a reference. If you could pause and review each image, then you could copy it and use it for whatever purpose, and I would suspect that as a reference the CD would cost a heckuva lot more than $20.
This discussion is getting off the topic of Lugers, and it isn't headed in a healthy direction. I have seen too many instances of this type of banter escalating into harsh words and folks getting all bent out of shape over something that shouldn't have been discussed in the first place. Excuse me for sticking my nose in here, but I would strongly suggest that we find something else to talk about that is more appropriate for the exercise of our knowledge. There are other venues for legal and computer techonology discussions.
Just sign me "Grumpy Old Fart"
Unread 01-06-2004, 01:49 AM   #24
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Actually, you don't have to "copyright" something officially to make it "copyrighted"

See this site; http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">In Summary
These days, almost all things are copyrighted the moment they are written, and no copyright notice is required.
Copyright is still violated whether you charged money or not, only damages are affected by that.
Postings to the net are not granted to the public domain, and don't grant you any permission to do further copying except perhaps the sort of copying the poster might have expected in the ordinary flow of the net.
Fair use is a complex doctrine meant to allow certain valuable social purposes. Ask yourself why you are republishing what you are posting and why you couldn't have just rewritten it in your own words.
Copyright is not lost because you don't defend it; that's a concept from trademark law. The ownership of names is also from trademark law, so don't say somebody has a name copyrighted.
Fan fiction and other work derived from copyrighted works is a copyright violation.
Copyright law is mostly civil law where the special rights of criminal defendants you hear so much about don't apply. Watch out, however, as new laws are moving copyright violation into the criminal realm.
Don't rationalize that you are helping the copyright holder; often it's not that hard to ask permission.
Posting E-mail is technically a violation, but revealing facts from E-mail you got isn't, and for almost all typical E-mail, nobody could wring any damages from you for posting it. The law doesn't do much to protect works with no commercial value. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Fair use, means that you can use an illustration for teaching, criticism, etc., but this is a limited use. As an example: </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">This means that if you are doing things like comment on a copyrighted work, making fun of it, teaching about it or researching it, you can make some limited use of the work without permission. For example you can quote excerpts to show how poor the writing quality is. You can teach a course about T.S. Eliot and quote lines from his poems to the class to do so. Some people think fair use is a wholesale licence to copy if you don't charge or if you are in education, and it isn't. If you want to republish other stuff without permission and think you have a fair use defence, you should read the more detailed discussions of the subject you will find through the links above. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 07:40 AM   #25
wterrell
User

I like my crow with a little bar-b-que sauce and a good wine. Not too spicey for I tend to acid reflux.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 10:48 AM   #26
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Wes, that is just the "older" way, it used to be or at least everyone was told, that you Had to send it in and have it cOpYwritted.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 09:47 PM   #27
ViggoG
RIP

John D.,
Quote:
BTW: Pete has a lot of learning to do - ask him how to pause a screensaver and take a snapshot.

Duh.
UnQuote.
Its really too obvious, Just use a Hi Res Digital Camera, And Observe as "Looong" as one wishes.
jus me again
ViggoG is offline   Reply With Quote