LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 03-06-2003, 01:07 PM   #21
wterrell
User

Refreshing of the rifling in the field.
Straightening of the barrel in the field.
Removal of blockage of barrel in the field.
Repair of the 'unknown' in the field.
The witness marks were for the benefit of gunsmiths unrelated to the manufacturer/arsenal.
The very same purpose as a 'jack' with a new auto. Ford Motor Co. or Chrysler Corp. does not need a 'jack' but the owner does.

But Mr. Simpson could enlighten us in short order if he would post a reference or two.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2003, 02:49 PM   #22
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
To totally paraphrase (mangle the quote?) a learned colleague – “Any repair technique as illogical as the field disassembly, and reassembly would have to be documented to be believed. It is too fantastical”. Repair at that level is an arsenal function.
Unread 03-06-2003, 03:42 PM   #23
wterrell
User

The answer is simple: have Mr. Simpson post his references. No big deal.

But to wile the time, many repairs were performed in the field. War has a way of disconnecting the perfect order of things. At those times, the nicety of sending a weapon back to a chaotic civilization is ridiculous and would not be done. Down and dirty is the mode of war. Especially the two world wars. They conduct their repairs as they conducted their production: streamline.
I can accomplish the task out here in the yard. It is made possible by the provision of witness lines for to realign and then I know beyond a doubt that the torque has been re-acheived and accomplished. No fancy torque wrenches needed. Why spend 3 week at best and lose the use of a valuable weapon by sending it back to civilization, when the whole repair operation may be accomplished with 5 minutes of disassembly and whatever necessary time devoted to the repair operation? Sounds pretty logical to me.
The first DWM's were commercial and exported from Germany to all points on the globe. Return to factory was not considered, yet they were marked for the benefit of whoever worked on them.

p.s. no to worry, no offense taken.
Unread 03-06-2003, 03:58 PM   #24
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Glad no offense was taken because none was intended. It was a legitimate concern. What prompted what was intended to be a slightly humorous mis-quote, is that there are a few armorer's kits in existence (whether discovered complete or assembled), and they do not appear to have any tools for field R&R of barrels. Perhaps such a tool was a separate item of issue? I would be interested in hearing a little bit more about this field barrel R&R issue if anyone has any information.
Unread 03-06-2003, 04:22 PM   #25
wterrell
User

No problem, Ron. Making a hard-hitting, pertinent challenge is difficult, and I just wanted to assure you that I enjoyed your well designed post.
The concept of 'tongs' is old. (Salad tongs are a totally different concept.) In the 20th century they were widely used in the outdoor industries such as the oil field. One type of wrench that I know as 'tong' is an automotive oil filter removal wrench (stylized but same principle). Simplified plastic versions may be purchased at any modern outlet such as Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc. Homemade versions may be made with leather, or webbed strap, a little wire, and some sturdy object for a handle, most desireably, metal.
Another portion of the equation for removal and replacement of the barrel is the barrel wrench.
The last ingredient is a little muscle.
With this wrench you can break and make-up very tight joints such as a Luger barrel and receiver.
Unread 03-06-2003, 04:29 PM   #26
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

I am familiar with that type wrench. We called them "strap wrenches" and they were part of one of the maintenance tool kits for the NIKE Hercules missile system.
Unread 03-06-2003, 05:02 PM   #27
ken d
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Slightly OT
Having changed a few M1 Carbine barrels in the past and remembering they used index or alignment marks on the bottom of the barrel and front of the receiver, I looked up this old Government Technical Order: Army Tech Manual TM9-1276, Dept of the Air Force Tech. Order 39A-5AD-2, dated 17 Feb 1953, to quote page 121, para. 59a. ASSEMBLY. Replacing Barrel. Select proper barrel and receiver combination so that about 1/16" draw is obtained when assembled. Screw the receiver on the barrel with wrench 7113308 (fig 9): draw up receiver until alignment marks on barrel and receiver (*Fig 92)coincide. Then determine that the flat surfaces on bottom of barrel and receiver are parallel. Check this by indicator or placing two bars, about 10" long, in position as illustrated in fig 93; and sight over the edges. When the two bars lie parallel, the barrel and receiver are in exact alignment for proper functioning.

Note: After installing barrel on reciever, adjust and check the head space as described in paras. 57d abnd 58d.

*Fig 92 shows lines on front of receiver and bottom of barrel in alignment.

My .02, In mass production, If we used alignment marks for replacemnt and new manufacture, did we copy other countries' methods or start our own?
Further might the alignment of Luger barrels require an additional check as outlined for the M1 carbine above, which could result in a slight misalignment of marks.
In the US Military there are normally 3 Levels of
maintenance: Organizationl, Field and Depot. Replacement of weapon barrels is normally restricted to Depot level maintenance.
Would have sent pictures but have no scanner or camera capability.

Regards

Ken D
ken d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2003, 05:30 PM   #28
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Depot (or arsenal) replacement is what I thought would be the required practice. But as Wes points out, war tends to override propriety. I wouldn't think field replacement would be encountered very often.
Unread 03-07-2003, 07:25 AM   #29
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,948 Times in 1,198 Posts
Hi,

My other hobby consists of keeping cars of a certain german make up and running. 'witness marks' are plentiful on most parts where exact realignment is needed when they are reassembled. And these marks are there for the benefit of whoever is working on it. I've also seen slight misalignments on parts that were removed/reattached/etc.. several times. Seems to be a logical chain of events and I can imagine that the same goes for the luger as well. As far as wartime repairs go: I remember from my service days that small repairs were done without arsenal intervention.

In certain war situations during WW1 and II both sides used whatever they could get their hands on and it's not uncommon to have allied troops repairing and using german handguns, using whatever parts they can find (field/trench/captives, etc...).

Heck, even our Dutch UN guys used captured AK47's in certain countries because they were more reliable than their own guns....
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 06:09 PM   #30
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Witness marks are one detail of the larger topic of barrel originality. Illustrated below are the witness mark examples in the context of the guns they actually are on. Examples 12-14 are not included as the guns are not mine to identify, however for the sake of comparison I will note that example #12 is a military Mauser. As in the case of the witness marks themselves, there are questions about barrels concerning original practices which must be answered before any definitive statement can be made.

What are the principles by which barrel serial numbers include their letter suffixes? The 1910 instructions and amendments for marking P-08s as translated in G�¶rtz & Bryans (pp111-114) specify only the serial number on the barrel; oddly, the text does not mention serial numbers on the frame at all. The letter suffix itself is dealt with in note 2 at the end of the instructions--this is the instruction which deals with the number sequences, and specifies that the sequence letter is to be applied below the pistol numbers on the frame and on the magazine. The accompanying document illustrations do show the frame with serial number and suffix on the front, but only the number sans suffix on the barrel.

Real-world examples reveal Lugers with barrel number suffix and without. Of my Lugers which have frame number suffixes, a 1917 LP-08 barrel is with suffix, as is a 1918 LP-08 (with mismatched barrel). My S/42 and u-block Police do not include their suffixes.

Still's Imperial Lugers shows a picture on page 43 of a military-style serial number with a letter suffix on the barrel. In Weimar Lugers guns can be found with corresponding barrel number suffixes on pp. 58, 150, 239, and 272 (one of these is a u-block Police, so much for my own sample); and without corresponding suffixes on pp.66, 138, 210, and 212. A barrel with suffix is pictured on page 230 of Third Reich Lugers.

Does anyone here know why Luger barrels are disparately marked?

Corresponding questions need to be answered about authorized rebarrelling practices. At what level was barrel removal and replacement accomplished--field repair level? armory? some intermediate repair depot? The power-proofing procedures presented in G�¶rtz & Bryans (p.119) for replaced barrels imply that this was an armory-level repair. Were replaced barrels stamped with serial numbers to match the weapon? Are there regulations extant which detail these specifications?

Example 02 KOL is an obvious assembly job, barrel and receiver are original to neither frame nor each other.

Example 06 5-inch is a modern rebarrel; the origin of the 5" barrel is obscure.

Example 11 1918LP is plainly a rebarrel, the serial numbers match the frame except the barrel suffix is l and the frame suffix is b.

Comments on the examples presented should prove interesting,--observe critically, and comment candidly.

--Dwight

Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2003, 10:49 AM   #31
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Hi Dwight,

The barrel replacement of the Dutch luger is quite well documented. Because of humid tropical conditions, barrels were replaced every 7 years (on average) whereby the year of service should be stamped into the barrel (but sometimes wasn't).
Unread 03-09-2003, 11:12 AM   #32
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts
Dwight, I finally opened the safe, so let me look:

1914 Erfurt (reblued, buffed bad, but witness mark plainly visible) aligned

1940 Mauser aligned

1914 DWM aligned

1928 (alphabet) DWM aligned

and althought possibly off topic, my Martz rebarreled 9mm 4 inch, he placed a witness mark aligned on the barrel and receiver.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2003, 11:52 PM   #33
Dwight Gruber
User

Gerben,

Neither of the Dutch Lugers pictured have barrel dates.

The Vickers bore is very finely pitted throughout, and the lands are very nearly shot away--it should have been rebarrelled long since.

The KOL is not really a complete KOL. Although the frame is in the proper serial# ranrge, and the toggle train is a proper DWM Dutch assembly (Geladen on both sides of the extracter, the serial# modified in the proper fashion), the receiver is a garden-variety Crown/N Commercial, and the barrel is a (4") non-standard barrel. If anyone can identify the barrel marking...please, identify the marking!!

Does anyone have a Vickers which can be compared to the sample illustrated?

--Dwight

Unread 03-10-2003, 10:35 AM   #34
Dwight Gruber
User

Corresponding questions need to be answered about authorized rebarrelling practices. At what level was barrel removal and replacement accomplished--field repair level? armory? some intermediate repair depot? The power-proofing procedures presented in G�¶rtz & Bryans (p.119) for replaced barrels imply that this was an armory-level repair. Were replaced barrels stamped with serial numbers to match the weapon? Are there regulations extant which detail these specifications?

The example below is a 1936 S/42, a suspected re-barrel. Evidence is beginning to appear which calls into question such suspicions based solely on witness marks as pictured. What other visible characteristics might support it as authentic or rebarrel? I certainly wonder about the way the serial number is stamped. The right side of the barrel does bear the same Mauser acceptance eagle (Costanzo, p.114, mark 176) as the receiver.

--Dwight

Unread 03-10-2003, 10:36 AM   #35
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Absolutely GREAT photo essay Dwight!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2003, 03:04 PM   #36
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Hi,

The proof marks on the vickers barrel are normal.
The same proofmarks are found in the 'Dutch Luger':

NP (nitro proof)
Crowned GP (London proof house mark)
Crowned V.
serial # between 4182 and 10181.
I suspect the Vickers has had a new receiver somewhere in it's life.

An interesting note on the other barrel:
Quote from 'DL': A few lugers have been observed where the barrel, apart from the "GS" mark, carries a small letter "M". The meaning of this is unknown.
Unread 03-12-2003, 08:35 AM   #37
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Hi,

Is there any substantial proof (or any ideas) that instead of barrels, the receivers were replaced instead?

That way you might end up with a numbered frame, original barrel, renumbered receiver and a weird witness mark.
Unread 03-12-2003, 10:21 AM   #38
Dwight Gruber
User

Gerben,

Can you provide the page number for the Dutch Luger quote? Does it seem to you that they mean there is a small M -and- the GS mark?

Does anyone have contact information for either Martens or de Vries?

As far as replacing receivers is concerned, I can't imagine why that would be done on any regular basis, it is the barrels which deteriorate. Also, according to Martns & de Vries, the GS did not manufacture receivers, so they would have to find them somewhere, scavenge them from other guns, or buy them new from Germany.

--Dwight
Unread 03-18-2003, 08:03 AM   #39
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Hi,

I don't have the book with me now. Will check, but consider that there are several prints of the Dutch Luger that contain different layouts (found that one out a few days ago)

Both Martens and De Vries write for a dutch gun magazine called 'SAM magazine'. I believe they are connected to 'S.I. publications'. You can try the email address of that organization:

si@sipublicaties.nl

I've done some new research into the 1945 - 1949 KNIL period and I can confirm that the 'scavenging' scenario was followed by the KNIL when trying to rebuild their forces in 1945.

My M11 fits nicely into that category. As far as I can see now, it was rebuilt from arsenal parts and re-issued in late 1945 to the then-formed 11th Infantry division in the Bali area.

Obtaining luger parts from Germany was an impossibility in that timeframe and it's not surprising to find Dutch lugers that were results of local (indonesian) recovery and scavenging tactics. Lack of 9mm ammunition meant most KNIL lugers didn't see much action anyway.