LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 07-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #21
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
According to the photos, his knive folds, not retracts. The blade is simply much longer than the handle, so when folded, it exposes less of the blade.

I'm not clear on what the practical use of this feature would be.
You are correct, I missed a photo. At my age it's a curse being deaf and dumb in both eyes.
NoncomRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #22
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

I believe it's a less expensive model of a Hirschfanger. It would have originally had a leather scabbard that the closed knife would drop into.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #23
skeeter4206
User

Yes the knife does fold out to full length, but does not have a locking mechanism at that length. Possibly something missing to allow it to lock at that length. At the shorter length it locks fine. Then press the button on the side of the handle to release the blade outward. I never did remember seeing a scabbard to it. At least as far back as I can remember. But who knows, me and my brothers could have lost it when we were kids. I do remember playing sword fighting with my older brother with this knife and an old civil war sword, I think it was called the "old wristbreaker". My dad used to beat our asses for playing with them like we did. Now I know why he did. Needless to say they both survived our childhood and now I own them.

As for the folding knife I'll keep looking with the information yall provided so I can find out as much information about it. My dad always wanted to know what it was used for and where it came from (country origin and year). He is in his mid 70's and his health is deteriorating pretty badly these days. Hopefully I can pinpoint the exact origin about it before he passes away. He came by my house recently and was looking at it and just having some old memories about it. I really think that particular item is the one thing that reminds him about his father the most.

Thanks for the information
skeeter4206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #24
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,101 Times in 1,678 Posts

Bastet was a Dutch manufacturer of high quality cutlery and surgical supplies since 1684, located in central Amsterdam.
They went out of business only in 1981. At some point they changed the name to T.F. Bastet (around the last quarter of the 19th century), having been purveyor to the royal household for different periods of time (at least during the late 17th and late 19th century).
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #25
skeeter4206
User

Doing my search online I found T.F. Bastet markings on speed skates from 1890-1900. I do remember the last time we talked about this knife I did find some shaving style folding knives. But there were not any that stuck out when folded.

I looked up the German style hunting knives / cutlass (Hirschfanger) and most of them had some kind of hand guard on it and they had some length to them usually around 20". I think the total length of my blade is around 12" to 14". So I'm not sure if it would be a hunting style, but the blade is thick enough to do some damage.

But they were definitely in Amsterdam. It be cool to find one that is close to what I have with some kind of description. I'll keep on searching.
skeeter4206 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to skeeter4206 for your post: