LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #21
Angus Magnus
User

Talking It has arrived!

Arsenal finish is quite nice. The pistol is covered with tiny bumps scratches, and nicks, but they are mostly under the finish. They certainly did not polish it before rebluing. I like it...

In the first description the seller had said "most parts" were matching. When I asked him to clarify which, he said all the ones he could see were matching but he had not taken off the grips or checked the firing pin. HA! The only parts that are matching are the slide and frame. Certainly doesnt bother me much, as I would have expected a finnish luger not to match, but I was secretly hoping I had an oddball that had somehow made it 90 years in one piece...

Frame and slide are 1834. Front trigger guard number also has a cursive "L". Slide is (SA) marked and nitro proofed. At least the seller was right when he said it wasn't import marked, I checked everywhere and nuthin'.

At first inspection there was some shiny goo all around the edge of the grips. My first thought was that some previous owner had epoxied the grips to the frame. When I removed them, they came off without any trouble. It turns out the whole inside of the gun was caked in grease. Not as sticky as cosmo, but same color. It had hardened in a couple of places to almost a tree-sap-on-your-windshield consistency, but came off easily enough. My wife chanced to poke her head in right when I had disassembled everything, and she asked "is that maple syrup?"

With all the goo I had to clean out, I suspect any previous owners must have not fired much if at all since it was imported. The barrel was really clean too.

Magazine is wood bottom with a chip and nearly illegible +280 with no SA marking and a small dent in the body. The grips have the standard chip, but look pretty cool otherwise. I'm happy with it as-is and wont mess with the finish. After I fire it and check the point of aim, I may have to hunt down a square front sight. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. I would also like to know if anyone can explain what the most current interpretation of the laws are regarding reproduction stocks on 120mm Lugers.

I took some photos with my iphone. They came out terrible. I'll try again later when I'm less tired.
Angus Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #22
jussi16
User

I have SA marked 1836 "L"...
jussi16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #23
Angus Magnus
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jussi16 View Post
I have SA marked 1836 "L"...
So was part of the finnish luger purchase new production consecutive numbered guns? I was under the impression it was all existing war surplus and commercial inventory, and not any serial number range to speak of.
Unread 02-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #24
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Magnus View Post
I would also like to know if anyone can explain what the most current interpretation of the laws are regarding reproduction stocks on 120mm Lugers.
Aaron, if the Luger in question was issued with a stock when it was new, then I believe it would be legal to use with either its original stock or a stock made specifically to reproduce it. This would include Artillery models, Navy models, and carbines. Therefore, if you slap a buttstock of whatever manufacture or vintage onto a 4.75" barreled Luger, since it was never intended to have one, despite a stock lug on the gun, would be illegal for use.
One weird thing about the rule is that one is not allowed to mix a stock from one model with use on another! Those with handy access to the regulations may help you out here by quoting from them, or add more info.

David Parker
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #25
jkaler48@yahoo.com
User

It is legal to attach an ORIGINAL German or Finnish made Artillery style stock to a SA marked DWM 120mm barrel Luger. It is in the book Finnish Pistols and Revolvers.
You can obtain a copy by contacting me at jkaler48@yahoo.com.
And it is only 179.99 (just kidding it is a FREE draft copy as it's not finished yet)
Unread 02-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #26
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Be careful. Unless this combination is SPECIFICALLY mentioned in the C&R list, then it is NOT legal to join the two.
I looked recently and there is no mention of an exemption for Finnish 4" barreled Lugers to use a stock, historically correct or not.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #27
jussi16
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Magnus View Post
So was part of the finnish luger purchase new production consecutive numbered guns? I was under the impression it was all existing war surplus and commercial inventory, and not any serial number range to speak of.
Check this site for info.
http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/PISTOLS1.htm
jussi16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #28
jkaler48@yahoo.com
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Be careful. Unless this combination is SPECIFICALLY mentioned in the C&R list, then it is NOT legal to join the two.
I looked recently and there is no mention of an exemption for Finnish 4" barreled Lugers to use a stock, historically correct or not.
The proof is in the book!!!! Email me for a copy! jkaler48@yahoo.com
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #29
Angus Magnus
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jussi16 View Post
The article states that inventory numbers of m/23 dropped partly due to conversions to 9mm m/08. Does this mean that there is a different inventory tally of m/08s?
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #30
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaler48@yahoo.com View Post
The proof is in the book!!!! Email me for a copy! jkaler48@yahoo.com
AGAIN....Just because it is a historical fact that the Finish 4" pistols were used and/or issued with stocks does NOT mean the ATF agrees with you!
Unless you can point to an official ATF ruling/variance for these Finnish pistols you will not be in compliance of US NFA law.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #31
jkaler48@yahoo.com
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
AGAIN....Just because it is a historical fact that the Finish 4" pistols were used and/or issued with stocks does NOT mean the ATF agrees with you!
Unless you can point to an official ATF ruling/variance for these Finnish pistols you will not be in compliance of US NFA law.
AGAIN the proof is in the book (as in a copy of the ATF letter)
Email for a Draft copy of the book at jkaler48@yahoo.com
which will be I hope worth your while to read and have as a reference until the completed book is published. Or you could wait
until it's published and pay maybe 79.99 or more plus shipping.
OH anyone else who wants a draft copy is welcome to Email me as well! It's FREE!
Unread 02-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #32
Angus Magnus
User

I can personally attest that the book is masterfully written and is an excellent resource for any fan of Finnish pistols.

I would also like to add that I will gratefully accept a heavily discounted price on the volume as a token of appreciation for my wholehearted endorsement.