LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 07-17-2001, 04:05 PM   #1
Gaetan

Default WW2 rework?

A couple years ago I purchased a DWM 1918 Luger. Serial is 50xxm and all numbers match except for the safety lever. This pistol came with two matching fxo mags (with aluminum base) suggesting it saw service during WW2. This P-08 was also refinished after WW2. It exhibits the West Germany federal eagle proof mark (the one used between during 1950 and 1971) in addition to its original WW1 Imperial and Army proof marks (one of each only on the right side of barrel extension). There is even a St.Andrew's cross on the barrel indicating that at some time of its history the pistol was deemed unfit for service.

Most probably this pistol was reworked during WW2. What really puzzles me is that it shows none of the military proof mark or Waffenamt acceptance mark used during that era (except the eagle/37 on both mags). It is hard to believe that the meticulous Germans performed the repairs and returned to service this handgun (and thousands of others no doubt) without proofing it. Why then didn't they apply the proof and acceptance marks accordingly? To save time? Once the job is done, stamping the gun is an easy, short step. Besides, all P-38s, Walther PPs and PPKs were proofed until the very last days of the Third Reich in April 1945 when the Germans were hard pressed more than ever.

Is it possible that the rework occured in an Army equipment depot where there was no Waffenamt staff? But then the pistol should show the KU marking anyway?

Does anybody have more information about this specific variation and more specificaly why some of these WW2 reworks don't exhibit the usual proof and acceptance marks?

Thank you for any input.

Unread 07-17-2001, 05:33 PM   #2
BCC

Default Re: WW2 rework?

I think the answer lies in the echelon that did the repair and or refinishing. Often depot level (arsenal) level work will show a Hzaxxx type mark. I don't know the meaning of the Ku mark ...I think the jury is still out on exactly what that one means and where the assembly was done for the Ku Lugers, although I agree with you that it was not at a factory. I don't think (evidence does not support) that much of the WWII refurbishment was conducted at factories for any weapon...including Lugers. The most data is probably known on K98k's and of the several legit 98k reworks that I have inspected, none show newly added waffenampts..except sometimes to the wood (this is also true with the Hzaxx type stamps). Most German WWII reworks were performed by matching smaller parts to the frame number and sometimes this included removing the old number and perhaps replacing some parts with new ones. Sometimes existing numbers were missed (ie the saftey lever). Interesting subject which very little is published but must have affected thousands of Lugers.

Unread 07-17-2001, 05:37 PM   #3
bill m
User

Default Re: WW2 rework?

Hi,

It is my opinion that some Imperial Lugers were put back into service in WWII. I have a police 1918 DWM with 2 matching fxo magazines numbered with the serial number plus a 1 & 2. My gun is not marked in anyway Nazi either, except for the magazines.

Since your gun has post WWII markings on it, it would be hard for me to say what is original and what was done at a later time.

These reworked Imperial Lugers that I have seen or heard of do not have any Nazi proofing on them. I also have a 1912 DWM that is in a 1941 Police holster which is serial numbered to the pistol. This is a good indication that they did rework and reissue these guns, but they usually were not marked.

I think the reason that they were not marked was because the new guns were marked at the factory and these were just issued magazines or holsters which was at a depot and therefore would not be required to be marked.