LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 08-17-2005, 05:57 PM   #21
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,149 Times in 1,694 Posts

Gee whiz guys, Simpson's have a 99% 1939 S/42 Police with holster and two matching mags for $4400, and his prices are not the cheapest around. Asking $4.5-$5K for just the gun in "very good to excellent" condition is just plain nuts. Don't let Luger lust con you into a bad deal.
Unread 08-17-2005, 08:30 PM   #22
ken d
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

wworker:

I agree the 4.5/5K seems out of line. Local gun show, National gun day, prices range from 1.7/2K.

Regards Ken D
ken d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2005, 09:12 PM   #23
wworker
User

Don't worry guys, I'm not going to buy for several reasons.

1. The price is out of my league
2. The price is too high for it to start with
3. The seller doesn't realize the price is too high
4. You guys advise against it and this means more to me than the first 3 reasons

Steve, didn't mean to hyjack your thread, but I think we were thinking about the same thing.
wworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2005, 08:00 AM   #24
thegundude
User

See Ken, I told you these were great guys who know their guns... And yeah, you're right. We were thinking about the same thing...

Thanks for the info guys. I don't see me paying mulitiple thousand dollars for a gun anytime soon, but it's good to know the difference between actual vlaues and BS values, should a similar gun at a much lower price comes along...

For example, I figured that was too high for a 1939 S/42. But now when I see another S/42 at a more realistic price it seems so much lower by comparison... It makes me think that the $1,800 S/42 is a steal...

I think my next one will have a grip safety, no matter what kind it is... I don't know enough to be very specific in my collecting so I'll try for a few representative examples of various Looooogers.....

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2005, 11:27 AM   #25
gewehrpatrone
User

Question Hello there, need help with another police gun

I`m kind`a in the same boat as Ken/Steve, I`m a noob to Lugers and I`ve recently acquired what I assume to be a police gun but need help with the I.D. It`s a mauser commercial banner, 1939 date, s/n 4164w, crown/u on the front site, reciever and the extractor housing. It also has an eagleL on the right side of the reciever where you would normally find the military acceptance stamps. Here`s the kicker; it had the sear safety at one time but it has since been removed. Following this thread I closely examined what`s left of the rivet and sideplate, from the absence of bluing on the sideplate where the sear safety was and the fact that the rivet shank attracts a magnet I cannot help but to conclude this hasn`t been "humped up". Without pics I know it`s hard for someone to estimate worth, it came to me with a 1940 dated holster (KernKlager, Berlin) has normal holster wear and one mag (fxo eagle37) which of course does not match. My question is this;
Would it be worth attempting to replace the sear safety? If so who would I talk to? How much?
What`s the approximate worth as is? I`ve tried to compare different police Lugars for sale but they are either Weimar or reworks. I can`t seem to find a mauser banner/police gun to compare it with.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Brian
gewehrpatrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2005, 11:15 PM   #26
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Brian, there is a good chance it never had a sear safety installed. If I remember correctly (Bill will know), some of the banner's never had the sear installed.

A banner can be found on Simpson's LTD fairly often. A banner goes for more than many lugers.

Start your own thread and then add description and pictures when you have them

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2005, 12:17 PM   #27
gewehrpatrone
User

Ed, thanks for your reply and I`ll certainly start a new thread per your suggestion. I disagree with you however about the sear safety, once I upload the pics I think you`ll see what I`m talking about.
gewehrpatrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2005, 08:42 AM   #28
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Brian et al, I just had a few repros of the sear safety made for such pistols that are missing them. $50 each with repro rivet. Send MO or check to address on the left. Tom