LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 08-01-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
Hoyt Weathers
User

Default Is this the proper place to get ID for my commercial Luger?

I do not want to upset anyone, but I want to post the full ID info of my commercial Luger and I do not want to go to all that effort here if this is NOT the proper place to do that. I am trying to determine *which* commercial version I have. Please advise with your reply.

Regards,
Hoyt Weathers
Trinity, Alabama
Hoyt Weathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Hoyt, you are in the right place. And you would not upset anyone here, and if it was the wrong place, I could move it and all would be well.

WELCOME to the forum, one of our members, Roadkill (he was run over by a wild MP a few years ago) lives in Alabama.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Welcome to the Lugerforum Hoyt... please post your identification information and the forum will be glad to assist you. Photographs are a plus, and if you need help posting them, there is an excellent tutorial on posting images at the top of the Site Help and Feedback Forum written by Ed Tinker...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
Hoyt Weathers
User

Thanks Ed and John.

I was on this Forum once before. Then I got "into" P.38 pistols. Getting back in was a PITA. Long story of frustration. Glad to be back in and with such warm welcomes to boot.

I can take good macro pictures with my tripod and Nikon digital camera of the pistol's stampings, but they are too large to post directly. I can burn a CD with them, send the CD to ? for down sizing if I know who ? is. That will take some time. Help.

In the meantime, I will just prepare a listing of all of the parts with stampings on them and post back with them. The pictures can wait.

Hi Roadkill ! Where in the heck are you in 'Bamma?

Regards to all in this house. ( old Irish saying upon entering his "local" (pub)

Hoyt Weathers
Morgan County in sight of the Tennessee River
Trinity, Alabama
Retired NASA engineer
Unread 08-01-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,288 Times in 426 Posts

Hoyt,

Looking forward to a good Commercial post to sink my teeth into. You can email the pics to me dwightg@pacifier.com and I can shrink and post 'em for you.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
Hoyt Weathers
User

Thanks Dwight. Taking acceptable pictures will take a while. After I am reasonably satisfied with them, it may take forever and a day for an email with those attachements to fly out of my computer and get into yours. I will do it though. Keep bugging me to get it done! I do have DIRCWAY satelite Internet for my Mac G4 though, so that should help on the outbound msg.

Just this morning I had a flash of the obvious and looked in my copy of "WEIMAR AND EARLY NAZI LUGERS" by Jan C. Still. On page 263 therein is a picture of a 20 DWM, SN 83058, which is only a few numbers above mine which is SN 81181, which looks exactly like mine. It does not appear to have any number on the safety sear bar (part name?). Mine does not. It that part original? My chamber is not dated and there are no military stampings on it.

Since there are many parts with either numbers or unkown marks on them, I will slog ahead and take macro pics of all parts and then email them to Dwight { dwightg@pacifier.com }

For now I believe my Luger is a 1920 DWM Commercial.

Hoyt Weathers
Morgan County in sight of the Tennessee River
Trinity, Alabama
Retired NASA engineer
Unread 08-01-2005, 03:20 PM   #7
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,288 Times in 426 Posts

Hoyt,

While you have your Luger apart and are taking pictures, have an eye for the questions at this link http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...threadid=12523

Thanks

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2005, 03:25 PM   #8
Hoyt Weathers
User

Angry

tacfoley. you are quite correct and I was just plain wrong. It has been many years since I was in an Irish pub and heard the term as you said. Before I traveled south in Irland years later, I visited Belfast several times on U.S. Government business. Our ship ported very near where the Titanic was layed down. This particular pub was part of a hotel, perhaps, but I could be wrong about that. That was before the Troubles started up. That section of Belfast got plastered pretty badly after I was there and that pub may be long gone. Anyway, that pub was north of the square, just off to the left on the left side of the street and had settles around the walls. It was located before the well-known hotel on the right side of the street. If I recall correctly, the pub was near, or beside or inside, the Windsor Hotel.

I am most pleased to be corrected.

Hoyt Weathers
Hoyt Weathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2005, 05:25 PM   #9
Hoyt Weathers
User

tacfoley I need to Google for Belfast Hotels and bring myself somewhat up to date.

Now, type with your English fingers and tell me what Slainte!! and tac mean.

Hoyt
A Rebel too, but in the Southern U.S.A.
Unread 08-01-2005, 05:31 PM   #10
stallturn
User

Hoyt,

The bar you mention is likely to be the Crown Bar, in Great Victoria Street, Belfast. It is almost opposite the famous (or infamous) Europa Hotel.

The bar is a rare surviving genuine example of a Victorian bar, and is owned by the National Trust.
stallturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2005, 05:38 PM   #11
Hoyt Weathers
User

stallturn,
That is the pub I visited quite often. Good to know it is still there. I will try a Google for it.

When my late wife and I visited Belfast years later on a self-paid visit we stayed at the Europa Hotel.

Has it gone "down hill" since then?

Hoyt Weathers
Unread 08-02-2005, 01:02 PM   #12
Hoyt Weathers
User

tacfoley,

My most humble apologies. I now realize, with cap in hand, what a big flub-up I did. Since I have been almost all over Ireland, I understand somewhat the deep feelings of the Irish toward the English. What I should have asked was to tell me what those words are in English. However, I just above jumped to the conclusion that you are Irish. If I am wrong, I assume you will correct me quickly.

Being the bold and tongue twisted American that I am, I wish to ask where you live. Since you show your Location as the United Kingdom, I further assume you do not live in the nation of Ireland.

Again, my most humble apologies,

Hoyt Weathers
(with red face)