LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 07-01-2001, 04:54 PM   #1
Chip
User

Default Bought a Luger

I have recently bought a Luger from an estate sale.Of all the Lugers I have owned in the past, this one has a couple of features I haven't run across before. This is a DWM double date 1918/1920. All matching serial numbers, except the mag, which is an after market one. The interesting features are; it has the sear safety on it and has the .225 inch hole milled above the rear of the trigger guard for the magazine safety. The overall finish of the gun is about 85 to 90 percent with a few scuff marks and slight muzzel wear. Strawing is probably about 40 to 50 percent depending on which piece you look at. Serial number is 7853k. By the way the magazine safety parts are all missing. Anyone have a guess what this Luger might be worth? Oh, and it has police marking on the front grip strap bottom,SB2137. Anyone know which police outfit this is? Thanks. Chip.

Unread 07-01-2001, 05:57 PM   #2
SteveM
User

Default Re: Bought a Luger

Chip,

You have a 1918 DWM stamped with the 1920 state property mark. It has also been converted for police use as

evidenced by the sear safety and magazine safety. Very few of these have survived with the mag safety still operational as most were either completely removed or

"clipped". This pistol was issued to the Schutpolizei in

Berlin, weapon number 2137. I also have a 1918 model that was converted to police use. It was reworked by Simson and the Berlin Police Armory. The Police unit marks on it show

that it went to the Landjagerei in Trier. It was never stamped with the 1920 date. As to value, I couldn't hazard a guess. Since some of the imports bring upwards of $500,and

being dip blued at that, an original Weimar era ought to bring that easily.

SteveM

Unread 07-01-2001, 06:12 PM   #3
Chip
User

Default Re: Bought a Luger

THanks for the info, Steve. This Luger is not an import as it has no import markings on it. Of course it could have been imported before the 1968 Gun Control Act went in. It also has not been dipped. It's the original finish on it. Back in the 60s I had a pretty good collection of Lugers, I think it was 10. Memory fades as you get older.