LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 06-05-2005, 04:44 AM   #1
DougT
User

Default Father's Python

When I was boy, my father owned a Colt Python which he purchased new in the mid 1960's. It was a 4" blued model. I badgered him until he took me shooting, and I remember a couple of shooting outings with it--and he let me clean it too. I watched him make a full flap holster out of cowhide, and he did a very nice job of it. The gun just sort of faded away over the years--he had some story about loaning it to an out of state friend, and then the friend buying it. But I never was too sure about what really happened to that gun. My dad's been gone for almost 20 years now, and I have always wished that I had inherited that old Python. For the last couple of years, I've been cruising Gunbroker and other places looking for the same model (4" blue), and I've seen several but just haven't gotten serious enough yet to buy one. I recently mentioned my father's Python to my older Sister, and she replied with the true story of it's ultimate fate: My Father could drink and become abusive at times, and after one particularly ugly episode my mother felt threatened enough that she dug a hole in the back yard and buried it--loaded in the flap holster and all!!! I almost cried. My Mom is still around, and I plan on verifying the story with her--but I have no reason to not believe my Sister. If there is a gun heaven, I hope that old revolver is there!

DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,120 Times in 1,432 Posts

Doug, Find out what house she was living at and go find it with a metal detector and dig it up! Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2005, 10:22 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,520 Times in 2,088 Posts

yup! Tell the landowner that you feel since it is "loaded" you were worried and offer them $100 if you find it (as in incentive)

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
DougT
User

Flash--update! I spoke with my Mom this morning and she says that she doesn't remember doing that at all. We discussed it at length, and she is fairly certain my Father hawked the gun at a pawn shop (he had a gambling problem too). What we finally decided is that my Mom probably told my Sister at some point that she would like to bury it, but that she never actually did it. My Sister sometimes has a very vivid imagination when it comes to past events. It was a good story though.
DougT
Unread 06-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #5
Paul L
User

DougT,

Great story......tooo bad ........wouldv' been neat if it was to go back and dig it up !!!!!!

When my dad passed 13 years ago, I was fortumate to get the only gun he ever kept for himself and passed down thru the family.........A very old Savage .22/.410 over/under with no serial #........he hunted with it and put meat on the table for his large family during the depression.......another project to somday restore to its frmer beauty !!!

Regards, Paul
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
Rod WMG
User

Paul, You might want to ask these guys some questions about your dad's Savage. I don't think it'd be worth a million bucks or anything, and that it's value to you is as an heirloom, but still, you might not want to restore it.

http://disc.server.com/Indices/180203.html
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
DougT
User

Paul,

I agree with Rod. I have a Remington .22 single shot bolt action that my Dad bought for himself when he was a Boy Scout. He passed it on to me when I was in my late teens, and one day a few years later I pulled it out of the closet and noticed that it had gotten rusty. I had the barrel shortened, drilled and tapped it for a scope, had it reblued, and I refinished the stock. I wound up with a nice little rifle, but it no longer looked like it did when my Dad had it. So if you restore you Dad's gun, I would recommend that you keep it as much as possible like original, rather than "modernize" it like I did.

DougT
Unread 06-06-2005, 11:23 AM   #8
Paul L
User

Rod and DougT,

thanks for the info and the website link.......will definately check it out......

The Savage is actually in pretty good shape metal wise, i think the barrel's are 24" in length, strong blueing with minimal wear and the receiver/breach area is casehardened colored......the only thing that doesn't look great is the wood........originally shellacqued i think and the butt is peeling and scratched up a bit.........

My only plans are to have the wood refinished one of these days .........

Thanks for the comments, Paul
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote