LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-12-2005, 07:25 PM   #1
Walt NW
User

Default Garage Sale Luger

Once more into the fray, dear friends.
Been a couple years since my last sign on with the infamous right framed "Lazy N" double date that with the greatly appreciated help and expertise of a few of you good folks, we verfied as the very early Krieghoff rework. As I only had that one lonely Luger in my military weapons collection and could add little to the fun and games on the forum, I've just sat back and enjoyed reading what was going on in the wonderful world of Lugers. Now, however, through no fault of my own, I have Luger number 2!
A few days ago, out with my wife and the car that automatically pulls into any place with a garage sale sign, as usual, she was out rumagging through whatever these folks wanted to get rid of when I noticed an open backgammon box sitting on a work bench. Walking over, I found inside one of the nicest looking Lugers I've seen in quite awhile. Unfortunately, no, it wasn't the long lost, super rare, once in a lifetime find, but what it was, was a reworked 1916 Navy with a 4" barrel. Great re-blue, which is why it looked so good. Too much, in fact, as all the straw was blued, but strangely, the safety bar and sear bar were left alone. All numbers matched, except the mag as usual, and the rear sight was matched to the gun with the 4" replacement barrel not being marked in any way, including a serial number. Story from the owner was that his father had bought it from a farmer in France in the 50's when he was stationed there in the Air Force. He had shot it a few times, but other than that, its stayed wrapped up in the backgammon box. Although it's certainly a re-blue. he's sure his father never had it done. It appears to have been holstered following the rework as there is the slightest wear on the muzzle, front of the frame rails and trigger plate. Bottom line, I bought this little jewel for whatever it turns out to be for $400, including 4 boxes of shells and a second mag which was W.W.II issue with the eagle 63 proof. Now, need some comments from the "experten" on whether I have a very nice shooter or possibly something more. Don't think it will qualify as a DWM rework due to the lack of a serial number on the barrel. In any case, it's a great gun, and the guy even threw in the backgammon box.
Walt NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2005, 12:00 AM   #2
G.W. Gill
User

Walt, Heck of a deal! I saw a stainless steel prop for $10, I thought that was a buy. You have me beat hands down! How 'bout a couple pics and let the guys chime in...
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
Walt NW
User

Will do if I can ever figure out how to scan a picture in without messing it up. Although I've joked with my wife about her garage sale rummaging around over the years, I've got to admit that I've pulled a few goodies, including an old wooden prop that has been hanging over the front of my garage for many years that the guy gave me to get rid of it. She picked me up a mint condition "last ditch" Arasaka rifle after arguing the guy down to $40, and several years back, I noticed an old rifle sitting out in the middle of a bunch of tools that turned out to be an 1896 Krag with the original recoil pad and a 1917 marked sling. $100 later and it joined my collection.
Her garage sale roaming has dropped off a bunch in the last few years, but I've learned not to gripe if we're out and she gets an urge to turn into one.
Unread 03-13-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
pipeman45
User

Sounds like a few of us need to go driving around with you on your next outing. Nice find, now figure out that pic thing so we can get a good look.
Unread 03-13-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
Walt NW
User

The wife (garage sale hunting expert) also is the family genius with the computer. Says she will get it done so will leave it in her always capable hands and see if I can get some pics out over the next couple days. Don't think the camera's focal range is close enough to show the double M and crown Naval markings, but will give it a try. By the way, for anyone that knows, the 1916 date is not only on top of the receiver, but also on the left frame rail below the proofs. Have not seen this before. Is this common on Naval Lugers only?
Unread 03-13-2005, 06:55 PM   #6
byf42
User

I give the advice to all collectors of anything and everything: "never pass up a garage sale, a good farm sale or small town out of the way gun shop". I have picked up things like WW2 Jap officer sword, very nice K98, and like Walt, a luger. You just never know what you will find.
byf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2005, 10:15 PM   #7
Lyn Islaub
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Have to agree about never passing up those garage sales. A couple of years ago I got to one late in the morning an still picked up a Costanzo for $2.00 and a Lugers at Random in the original format for $3.00. I can only imagine what went earlier in the day.
Lyn
Lyn Islaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2005, 11:05 PM   #8
Walt NW
User

Finally got it through my thick Kraut head how simple it is to send pics. As my Garage Sale special went through a considerable change after starting life as a 1916 Navy, started a new thread in the Comercial Pistol area under 'Garage Sale Luger pics' (what else?) so they are posted under that title if you'd like to take a look. Commercial rework or whatever this turns out to be, I doubt if I'll find a nicer example for $400 in this lifetime.
Unread 04-19-2005, 11:35 PM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Agreed Walt, although not a gun, we were "sale-ing" and I barely looked into a empty garage, the wife says, hey did you see this trunk? (I have a thing for old trunks) Turns out that the older lady's friend had brought it over from Scotland, then moved to Canada, then Montana, then Washington and she lived a long life. When she passed, she gave it to her friend, who later did not want it. A nice old round top trunk, with metal designs all over it. a beauty...

Amazing what you can find.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote