LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 03-15-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
BigBarn
New User

Default Luger Newbi Question???

Hi too all;

I am a new member to this forum, and also new to the world of Lugers. I have purchased my first one, and it is in remarkable shape, and shoots like a dream, except for one little problem: Every time I shoot, and it ejects the spent shell, it goes back into battery with the next round, but for some reason, the firing pin is not cocked, and it will not fire when I pull the trigger.
I can pull the slide back far enough to **** the trigger, and then it will fire just fine, but the same thing happens when I fire the next round, it will not **** the trigger.

Any suggestions? I am using new Winchester FMJ ammo, 124grn. And everything else seems to function perfectly. Also, when it is unloaded, with the magazine out, it will **** the trigger everytime I pull the slide back as far as necessary. Seems crazy to me, but then I do not know much about these fine weapons. hopefully one of you experts can help. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

BigBarn
Unread 03-15-2005, 09:02 PM   #2
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi William..!!

First - Welcome to the LugerForum!

Second - on the last round fired from the magazine, will the toggle "stay open"? If not - either the ammo isn't quite strong enough to fully cycle - OR - if you have a really early Luger, it doesn't have a hold open, but most 9mms have the hold open

A quick way to test is - WITH NO AMMO IN THE LUGER OR THE MAGAZINE! - pull the toggle all the way back. Does it lock open?

Let us know which Luger you have, OK? There are a couple of other things that come to mind as well - but my first guess is that the Ammo needs a bit more "juice"...

Best to you!

John
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 10:33 PM   #3
BigBarn
New User

thanks John, I appreciate your time. Yes, the toggle locks open just fine, and there is no problem with it cycling when fired, it just does not **** the trigger. And nothing appears to be worn or bent or broken.I am not sure when vintage Luger I have, and have no idea how to tell. Will the serial number reveal that?
Thanks again for your reply.

BigBarn
Unread 03-15-2005, 11:18 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

William, I second welcome to the forum! You will need to give us more info for us to help you.

Any date on the chamber?
Any proofs on the right or the left of the receiver?
full serial number to include suffix (the letter under the sn).
the age of your mothers cat?

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 12:05 AM   #5
BigBarn
New User

He Ed, thanks for the reply. Thee are three proofâ??s on the right side of the receiver, the date stamped on the top of the chamber is 1911, the serial # is 8868 with d under it. It could Laos be an a, but looks more like d to me.
My mothers cat is 28 and on her last legs, but we hate to put the old girl down.
Hope this helps. Please reply with as much info as you can come up with, this is a real head scratcher for me.

Thanks again,
BigBarn