LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-23-2004, 08:38 AM   #1
k1mri
User

Question Help looking for 1st Luger

Being a newbie (only been collecting for 8 months)I need advise on purchasing a WWII Luger. I bought my P.38 from FGS, Inc. and I'm happy with it (o.k. so I think it's dipped), now for a Christmas gift to myself I'm looking for a matching WWII Luger. I need to know a few things so please bear with me.

1.) What the heck does 'straw' mean I see it in many descriptions?

2.)What's 'Black Widow' mean?

3.) Does FGS 'dip' their Lugers they sell?

I'd like to spend no more than $1500.00, can you guys point in the right direction for a GOOD dealer in this price range. Nobody wants to get ripped off, myself included!

I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Thanks very much for your input.

Mike
k1mri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2004, 08:46 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

A few answers;

Straw is where it has been fire-blued, this is only done on certain years (pre-1936 or something like that).

You can get a WW2 for "less" than $1500 if you look around.

Here is an answer on Black Widows, not a true variation BTW:
Quote:
Q:What is a "Black Widow" Luger?
A:Typically a 41 or a 42 dated chamber Mauser, toggle coded "byf" with black plastic grips (on about 20% of them). This was simply a marketing tactic employed, and the phrase was coined by Ralph Shattuck (he tells me). It really worked. These guns have a black salt blued finish, black grips, and all blued (black color) small parts (trigger, safety lever and take down lever). Some of the 1940 vintage (a very few), and 41/42 Lugerâ??s had them also, but primarily the "byf" with black grips are a "Black Widow". This was an American invention, and had no German basis at all! German collectors say "Huh?" sometimes, when you mention the term! Written by Thor
FGS never "dipped" any of the guns. This was done by the East Germans and Russians to preserve them.

BUY a collectable gun, so it rises in value, unless you plan on shooting it often, then buy one that is a shooter, reblued, etc, as a rep piece.

Buy luger books, and learn, unless you just have money laying around, $1500 bucks is a bit of money....

Ed
Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2004, 08:59 AM   #3
Ron Smith
User

Hi Mike,
"Straw" is the golden-yellow color of the trigger, take down lever, safety, magazine release and extractor on Lugers that were manufactured prior to early 1937. Straw will not be found on a ligitimate Luger made after April 1937.
There are lots of WWII Lugers around, for less than $1500. The average price is in the $1000 range. Give or take $200. A $1500 pistol should be in " excellent "condition. With a few exceptions.
A good place to get a general idea is Simpson Ltd. There prices are at the top, for the most part, but will give you a good working knowledge of what to expect.

Good Luck, Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2004, 12:28 PM   #4
Daniel
User

Hello K1mri, please check your private messages.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
pipeman45
User

K1 mri . If you are wanting a pistol in that price range,first you need to buy some books. LOTS of books are even better. You can then decide what it is you really want,and know about what it should cost you.Information is power. Read, study, and learn. These pistols have a lot of history to tell,if you will only listen!
pipeman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2004, 01:36 PM   #6
SteveM
User

Ron,

I believe that you wil find some Banner Commercials later than 1937 that will have strawed parts.

SteveM
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2004, 02:34 PM   #7
k1mri
User

Question Which book?

There are so many books, which book does a beginner like me start with?

thanks again
k1mri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2004, 03:45 PM   #8
policeluger
RIP

For a binginners book, I think the best book to start any collection from is John Walter's "The Luger Book".....there are more detailed books once you decide on an certin type/time frame to collect....but a good beginners book as you asked for....hope this helps
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2004, 04:43 PM   #9
Ron Smith
User

Steve,
Thanks for the correction. I was thinking in terms of Third Reich military. Did'nt mean to mislead.
Merry Christmas, Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2004, 02:31 AM   #10
G.W. Gill
User

K1mri, Check out the Classified section on the forum and get a shooter with wood grips and a wood bottom mag. wallmart USA ammo is fine in the 100 pack. Then learn the pistol as you spend the extra on reference material. I bet you will end up likeing your first luger so much you will never sell it. I would buy a workhorse shooter and put half the bucks in the bank and wait till 2006. The one you really like will still be out there.
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2004, 03:25 PM   #11
Brent B.
User

K1mri, Some of the books I have to help me out are Lugers at Random, Luger by John Walter, Imperial Lugers, Luger Tips revised edition and The Imperial German Regimental Marking. I've been fortunate to have also made a couple of friends from LF that have been most helpfull. I've also found it wise to post questions here on LF and you'll be sure to get correct answers from the many collectors.
Brent B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 10:12 PM   #12
Captain Emo
User

K1mri:

I started out with a shooter and an all matching 1937 S42 that's a great restoration candidate. She's just fine the way it is now. I am fascinated by this pistol. I was able to find my pistols by going to various shops and asking friends. Two pistols in two weeks.

Now, I am ready to add that $1,000+ Thired Reich Luger to my milsurp collection.
Captain Emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2005, 03:48 PM   #13
Ponyman
User

I've seen numerous Mauser-Interarms (1970's production) pictured with trigger, safety, ejector and take-down looking like "straw". (Didn't see any with the extractor strawed - I would have thought the extractor would be a prime candidate for tempering.) Is that merely painted or plated?

My understanding is that these parts ('37 and earlier?) were tempered to improve the "springiness" of the metal, which would reduce breakage.
Ponyman is offline   Reply With Quote