LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 06-18-2001, 10:06 PM   #1
Thor
User

Default Lugers-Heck yes I like them!!

Well, looking through Still's books I have one favorite from each era, that is WWI, WEIMAR and WWII that I really like. They are not your rare or extrememly expensive (though the Navy can be costly) variations. I sure like them a lot:

WWI-1906 Navy-Frontpiece 14c on page xxx (front section of "Imperial Lugers")

Weimar-This may shock some, the 1920 Commercial 30 Luger with a 3 & 3/4" (or 7/8") Barrel, page 270, Figure 84c in "Weimar Lugers"

WWII-41 byf with Checkered Walnut grips and type 3 Army magazines. Just like page 83 "Third Reich Lugers" (but without the sear safety)

What are you favorites from these Three Eras? Thor

Unread 06-18-2001, 10:59 PM   #2
BILL
User

Default Re: Lugers-Heck yes I like them!!

I also have a fondness for the '06 Navy, I like the second issue with the grip safety. There is a toss up for a 1906 '30 caliber American Eagle (I am a sucker for the chamber stamp and also the thin tapered barrel). In the Weimar era, the M23 commercials are as nice as they get (bought a really nice one from Tom Heller a few months back). Same as the one you picked out in Still's book only a five digit model. I am also attracted to the longer barrel variations of that era. It is too bad that very few artillery models survived without having the barrels shortened during this time. As for WWII Lugers..well, I haven't graduated to that time period yet (they are still too 'modern' for me). That will take some real research ( I wonder how many WWII Lugers had their 'correct' plastic grips dressed up by owners to 'purty' walnut ones?). This is too tough..I likes 'em all. 'Take me to your Luger!'

Unread 06-19-2001, 05:59 AM   #3
Marvin
User

Default Re: Lugers-Heck yes I like them!!

Ted,

I love them all and it would be hard for me to pick a favorite. From the small collection I have of 21 Lugers, I have Imperail, Weimar, and Third Reich. My intest is mostly in the Third Reich pistols so I have a representative example of most from this era.

All my Lugers are the more common variety with nothing really "rare" about them. I guess the most rare one I have is the "KU" I bought several months ago. i tend to stay away from the "rare" stuff because I don't want to get stuck with a fake. I figure that if I stay with the common type, they will be correct and I won't get stuck with somthing that has been faked.

Marvin