LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 06-11-2001, 02:24 PM   #1
Mike T.

Default More movies

Here are a few of the movies featuring Lugers which I have gathered recently from this board:

Of Mice and Men

The Great Escape

The Great Race

The Notorious Landlady

Sergeant York

The Detective

The Maltese Falcon

Teenagers from Outer Space

Anatomy of a Murder (with a starring role as the murder weapon)

Schindler's List

Son of Frankenstein (at least a Luger-shaped holster)

I also believe that Lugers were featured in some weird movie with Doug McClure on a German sub from WWI fighting dinosaurs at the South Pole and in a film with John Wayne portraying a courageous German freighter captain trying to get back home after the war broke out.

"Schindler's List" showed Lugers being used to commit acts of atrocity and certainly does not bring any glory to the subject of our hobby; unfortunately, it is not a work of fiction.

Anyone else have more to add to this list? I am sure that there must be dozens of WW1 and WW2 movies with them, but I have not included any which I do not recall having a confirmed sighting.

Incidentally, for you C96 and P38 fans, the Star War movies use these extensively as the framework for the various blasters and ray guns.

Unread 06-11-2001, 02:37 PM   #2
BILL
User

Default Re: More movies

Good list. I saw some before and after shots of the 'broomies' that were used for Star Wars. It would be nice to be able to get a 'modified' one (actually, a nice unmodified one would be nice, too).

Unread 06-11-2001, 02:53 PM   #3
Thor
User

Dont forget Robert Wagner at the end of "Austin Powers-Man of Mystery" had a Luger and displayed it

Unread 06-11-2001, 04:40 PM   #4
Johnny Peppers
User

Also, watch some of the early movies about the war in the Pacific. Apparently the studios did not have many of the T14's and substituted Lugers as they look somewhat alike.

Unread 06-11-2001, 07:01 PM   #5
Matt
User

The movie with Doug McClure on a U-Boat fighting dinosaurs is "The Land that Time Forgot." I have not seen this movie in years, but I think I recall an LP08. As for other movies with Lugers, here's some that come to mind, I'll probably think of more later. With the interest in Lugers in movies, maybe we should all put our heads together and come up with a list to be posted in the general info section.

Where Eagles Dare

Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade

Kelly's Heroes

For Your Eyes Only

The Twilight Zone (perhaps the best Luger scene ever filmed)

The First Deadly Sin

Stalingrad

The Guns of Navarone

Shining Through

The Cross of Iron

Tobruk

Hornet's Nest

Battleground

Unread 06-11-2001, 08:14 PM   #6
Mike T.

I simply don't remember what the scene was in "The Twilight Zone", although I vaguely remember something about a Nazi getting trapped in a painting. Would you be so kind to describe the Luger scene?

I also heartily endorse your list idea.

Unread 06-11-2001, 08:50 PM   #7
Matt
User

The Luger scene was from "Twilight Zone, the Movie," not the TV show, although I believe the scenes in the movie were remakes from TV episodes. The Luger scene has Vic Morrow (of Combat! TV fame) taken back in time to Nazi Germany after he made rascist remarks in a bar. During a scene where he is trying to get away from the Gestapo, the Nazis are taking "pot shots" at him with a Lugers while he is trapped outside a window ledge. The scene is authentic in that you can even hear the empty cases "tinkling" when they hit the ground.

I also remember a TV episode where a paralyzed WWII vet, who has a "bringback" Luger, shoots an arrogant man who is dating his daughter.

Vic Morrow was killed during the filming of the Twilight Zone movie.

Unread 06-11-2001, 09:17 PM   #8
Rick K
User

I saw that scene recently. Those officers were just playing with Vic Morrow with those accurate Lugers!

Unread 06-11-2001, 09:34 PM   #9
Matt
User

Default I agree, Rick K.,

I haven't seen it in awhile, but the Nazis certainly could have hit him. I think they were just "playing" with him and were not trying to hit him.

Unread 06-11-2001, 09:40 PM   #10
Rick K
User

Default Re: I agree, Rick K.,

Yeah, they coulda' hit him in any of his extremities at will.

Unread 06-11-2001, 10:22 PM   #11
Natalie

They were chasing ol Vic Morrow and had him up on the second floor eave, the two SS officers were below in the street and were making him move back and forth shooting the two Lugers up at him. Firing, brass ejection, toggle action, report all very very real. One of the German Officers in that sequence went on to be the Russian pilot in Firefox that ALMOST shot ol Clint Eastwood down. Cheers! Thor