LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 01-06-2003, 03:52 PM   #1
Roadkill
User

Post Might want to try this

I've been loading and shooting 9mm using 5.7g Unique with a 125g Lrn bullet in several 9mms, done several thousand now and they do very well. I was having real problems with .38s though. The recommeded top end load was 5.7 g Unique with a 124 g bullet, I could not get consistent powder ignition. Last 500 resulted in about 1 in five not igniting. CCI and Winchester primers both repeatedly failed. I think the problem was too much case length for the volume of powder. When I loaded the last bunch I used 5.7g again but cut a small cube of styrofoam and packed it on top of the powder, this filled up most of the empty case volume, leaving room for bullet on top. Nice and snug. Fired 100 rounds, excellent results. The styrofoam kept the powder to the rear of the case for ignition, was no appreciable increase in pressure, and disentegrated when ignited. For you who use powder with less volume might want to try it.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
unspellable
User

The styrafoam sounds like a good idea for loads in a straight case requiring a filler. I'd be cautious about using it in a bottle necked case but then I guess you couldn't use the cookie cutter method for a neat plug anyway.

I'm a little surprised you have to use a filler with this particular load though. You didn't say if you were loading 38 Specials or 38 S&W but 5.7 grains of Unique in either one ought to ignite without having to use a filler. I've used 10.6 grains of Unique in the 44 Magnum for a midrange load for years and never had an ignition failure. I've used it for a midrange load in the 357 Magnum also, although I can't recall the exact charge.

The one place I did have an ignition failure was with about 43 grains of a slow rifle powder in the 400-360. The primer drove the bullet about eight inches up the barrel. That would be ugly if you fired a good round behind it. You have to watch for this sort of thing.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 05:55 PM   #3
Roadkill
User

I was using it in the .38 specials. Never had a problem with the .357s using same powder & primers with an 8.7 g load, even though the case was longer and emptier than with the others. Due to the expansion factor in styrofoam it might work with bottlenose cartridges also.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2003, 12:10 AM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts
Roadkill, I have always had good luck with Red Dot powder. I just loaded 4.3 RD in 38. special and have no problems with ignition ever. Unique is very dirty when I have used it and I notice unburned powder buildup in my actions. I find it would be an untenable nuiscence to cut styrofoam spacers as many rounds as I load. You have the patience of Job. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote