LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 12-17-2002, 09:07 AM   #1
tomcat
New User

Question Cartridge power - 1917 DWM Luger

Hello All,

I've got a 1917, DWM-made military Luger. It has been in my family since WWI, brought back by my grandfather from a battlefield somewhere in France ...

As it had not fired since this time, I was not sure of what kind of ammo using. That's why I tried to use black powder ones, but it seems that there was no power enough to rearm the system ...

At the opposite, I fear that using commercial contemporary 9mm cartridges can be too powerful for the cylinder head.

So, can you tell me what kind of ammo using with this pistol ? Must I make them myself ?

Thanks in advance [img]smile.gif[/img] (And excuse my english, but it's far from being my maternal language [img]wink.gif[/img]
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2002, 12:50 PM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
tomcat,
The Luger was made after the introduction of smokeless powder. Black powder loads will not function in your Luger. Many members of this forum shoot their Lugers quite succesfully with modern contemporary ammunition. If nothing on your Luger is broken, it will function safely with commercial ammunition. Do not under any circumstance use military surplus ammuniton unless you are absolutely sure it was NOT loaded for submachine gun use. Submachine gun ammo is too powerful for pistols and will quickly damage the action.

By the way, I do not know what your maternal language is, but your English is excellent.
Unread 12-17-2002, 01:57 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
I can assure you that your English far better than my French...

Welcome to the Lugerforum and what part of France are you from tomcat?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2002, 09:47 AM   #4
tomcat
New User

Thanks for your messages !
My English is very proud of your compliments [img]wink.gif[/img] I live in the north of France, in Boulogne/Mer, a town of fishermen [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

I have a box of 9mm Luger Norma ammo, I will try them as soon as possible and say you back what happened ...
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2002, 03:58 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Hi Tomcat! Make sure you immeadiatly clean all the black powder fouling from the pistol, most importantly the bore, as it will cause a lot of unwanted and unnecessary corrosion! till....later....G.T.
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2002, 10:26 PM   #6
G.W. Gill
User

Tomcat, we are all excited when we find a family hierloom that is an exciting guy tool! After you clean and test your pistol, can you let us know what you were told about it. Maybe send a picture of it and let us know how it worked for you.
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote