LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 02-27-2003, 04:50 PM   #1
pisto
User

Post Luger Holster with no markings?

Hello,
just want to use Your advantage as collectors to help me in another case of my collection!
purchased a few years ago a nice WWI style holster with not a single marking neither on the front side nor inside the flap.
It is very well made, not as the repros I have seen.
The color of the stiching is black, not white or brown as all the others I have. The colour of the leather is original dark brown.
pisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2003, 12:19 AM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts
Pistolero, Quite the unusual holster. It has characteristics of an original but has differences that bother me. It may be a commercial variant. The top and the hinge almost look like replacements.They look new and have a color that is not natural to original holsters of this time frame. Also the hinge is too wide. The front closure strap on many WW1 era holsters are stitched with a middle stitch. This one has only the two side stitches. The metal closure buckle looks too thin to be an original. Difficult to see really.

Pistolero, Ganz die ungew�¶hnliche Halfter. Es hat Eigenschaften eines Originals aber hat Unterschiede, die mich bel�¤stigen. Es kann eine kaufm�¤nnische Variante sein. Die Spitze und das Scharnier sehen fast wie Ersetzungen aus. Sie sehen neu aus und haben eine Farbe, die zu urspr�¼nglichen Halftern dieses Zeit-Rahmens nicht nat�¼rlich ist. Auch das Scharnier ist zu breit. Der Vorderverschlu�?-Riemen auf vielen WW1 �?ra-Halftern wird mit einem mittleren Stich gen�¤ht. Dieser hat nur die zwei Seite-Stiche. Die metallene Verschlu�?-W�¶lbung sieht zu d�¼nn aus, um ein Original zu sein. Schwierig, wirklich zu sehen. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2003, 03:29 PM   #3
Navy
RIP

Pistolero,
Welcome to the forum.

I would tend to agree with my Airborne comrad that this is a commercial "Private purchase" piece.
Must say though that I have run across several 1914 dated and maker/unit marked pieces that had a similar bucket and hinge. Also they all had uncharacteristically long closure straps, which of course led me to nick name them something that I shall not mention here.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2003, 02:18 AM   #4
pisto
User

Jerry,
I grabbed another WWI Holster and saw the stiching of the front closure strap is again without a middle stich. The flap is not a replacement - it is all exactly the same type of original coloured leather. The hinge is exactly the same size than in the military types....
The buckle is black coulored but in the same size.
Even the clousure strap is not longer and has no differences to military types, like Tom suggested.
I think it should be a comercial type too and agree with You both.
Unread 03-01-2003, 10:47 AM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts
Roland, Well I suspect all is as it should be. It looked a little odd in the photo's but if I had to guess I would say original. Really difficult to say exactly without seeing it up close.

Many WW1 era holsters that come thru my shop have a much tighter hinge and the closure strap is usually sewn with the three stitches.

I have learned that it is wise to expect the unusual when dealing with Luger holsters. I always run into something different from time to time. Thats what makes it interesting. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2003, 01:49 PM   #6
pisto
User

Some more pictures about the holster to compare.
the bright brown one is a 1916 B�¶hml�¤nder&Co, N�¼rnberg.