LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 09-01-2002, 03:44 PM   #1
jim haycraft
User

Angry Unmarked Luger Holster

I purchased my P.08 from my next-door neighbor in Phildelphia sometime about 1946 or 1947. He brought it back from Austria after WWII. For 20 bucks, I got a 1940 Mauser P.08, with a low serial, all matching numbers and 2 magazines (NOT matching serials), and a pretty good original finish. The pistol was complete with holster and loading tool. I have examined the holster on numerous occasions, inside and out, and can find no markings whatsoever. About all I can say about it is that it is brown! The mag loading tool in its little compartment is also completely devoid of markings. After all these years, the fastening strap has rotted and part broken off; the flap is showing signs of cracking in a number of places and stitching here and there is loosening up. Questions: How come no identification, maker's or otherwise? Likewise for the tool? I know my neighbor didn't liberate this assortment from a "high ranking officer" - probably gathered it together from a pile of captured weapons and accessories made available to his unit for take-home souvenirs. So, I'm sure the stuff is genuine, but shouldn't there have been some ID - manufacturer, unit number or even a name on the holster and a proof of some sort on the tool?
jim haycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2002, 04:52 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Talking

Some loading tools were not marked, same with holsters. You expect them to be and the vast majority are, but some are not. (more educated from others I am sure).

Sure see a heck of a lot of 1940's pop up on the forum, I myself have one close to yours. Can you provide pictures of your beauty, it sounds very cool, even run of the mill like ours can't be beat, and it would be even better to get pictures of your holster.

More description of your gun would be nice to, toggle marked? Proofs are? etc., you can find a sheet to write all of these down at http://www.lugerforum.com/IDsheets.html which is at www.lugerforum.com on the left side of your screen under Tech Info.

I would gladly post any pictures for you.

mailto:66mustang@palouse.com66mustang@palouse.com</a>
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2002, 08:12 PM   #3
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,617 Times in 526 Posts
Jim, I have a Luger holster that my father and I acquired in the late 1950's or possibly as late as 1960. It's black and no markings anywhere at all. A 1940/42 Mauser P-08, serial number 4078 l (small L) was in it. The pistol was sold but the holster didn't go with it.
Doubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2002, 08:46 PM   #4
jim haycraft
User

I would like to provide photos of my beauty, but I am just now getting into the technical aspects of digital photography and trying to decide what type of compatible camera I need and how elaborate a device I can afford. I am using a WebTv system, which as you may know, is basically an internet terminal and not a computer, although it has considerable flexibility and is capable of performing many conventional computer functions. When I have photo capability, I will certainly 'show off.' Early on, I had the pistol reblued, accomplishing at one fell swoop, its conversion from a "collectible" to a "shooter," but at that time, who was thinking 50 years ahead and what its value would be in 2002? Nevertheless, with new Nill grips, it is a handsome piece and has renewed my interest in perforating some paper at the range. I will also be able to provide some views of the holster, which can probably be refurbished, despite the effects of age. I can supply details of the markings, etc. at a later time, for anyone who is interested. Meanwhile, thanks for the interest.
jim haycraft is offline   Reply With Quote