LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 08-26-2002, 09:16 PM   #1
wterrell
User

Post Male/female snaps

I can't bring myself to buy this book. In my younger days, I would follow the trail wherever it lead. But nowadays, my feet hurt.

[quote]IT'S A SNAP!

Secrets For Successful Snapping

by Jeanine Twigg

AUD $32.93 ($36.22 with GST) GST will be added for Australian residents only.

Here it is - the first ever book dedicated entirely to snap fasteners - the fun & creative closure. It takes you into the colourful world of snaps & teaches you to incorporate them in your sewing & craft creations. Discover the history of snaps, the multitude of snap styles & sizes available & the necessary snap attaching products which make snapping fun. With dozens of sewing & craft projects & ideas, this book will launch you into snapping success.
Jeanine takes you beyond basic snapping into craetive ideas for home, family & garment embellishment. Jeanine takes the guesswork out of attaching snaps - she knows from experience just how difficult attaching snaps can be & will take you from frustration to fun.
This book has something for everyone who loves the look & convenience of snaps. Includes step by step instructions for creating fun projects such as children's games, tab curtains, creative Polarfleece�® closure ideas & even simple projects for those with special needs.
`It's A Snap' is a must have for anyone who wants fun & creative alternatives to traditional closures.

<hr></blockquote>

wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2002, 09:31 PM   #2
Garfield
User

Jeanine Twigg!! One of my favorite authoresses.

However, on the subject of male/female snaps' I believe that they were used on the wool canteen covers at least as early as WWI.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2002, 09:45 PM   #3
wterrell
User

The holster had snaps with a Swiss cross in the center. But I have a hard time seeing it.

wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2002, 11:35 PM   #4
Garfield
User

I can't make it out. Not that it is important.
Unread 08-27-2002, 03:43 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Garfield,

I don't recall seeing surplus canteen covers with snaps until the late 1960's... but I may be wrong (it happens!)

Are you thinking of the Lift-the-Dot fasteners? They are what I remember being on WW2 and earlier equipment cases and web gear... or is my memory having a "senior moment" ???

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2002, 04:17 PM   #6
Johnny Peppers
User

I have a couple of 1918 dated rigs with the canteen and cover, and both have the lift-the-dot fasteners. The first aid pouch, shaving kit, and mirror case all have snaps. The marching compass case uses a snap, and the two cell mag pouch uses a snap to fasten it to the cartridge belt and a lift-the-dot to close the flap.
Johnny Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2002, 05:42 PM   #7
Garfield
User

Well, I will be the first to admit that "snaps" are not my forte. Maybe we should all chip in and buy Ms Twigg's book. The "snaps" that I was refering to look like the one on the tool pouch in the holster which is the initial subject of this thread. It is a male/female affair with the female half completely covering the stud on the male half when the snap is secured. I associate these type of "snaps" with some WWI german equipment, particularly the 4 or 5 snaps used to secure the edge of the wool cover on WWI canteen. Most certainly they are used else where, however, this use sticks in my mind.

The "Lift-the-dot" type snap, I associate with US WWI/WWII web gear, mainly. Here, the female portion has an opening in the center and when the male and female parts are secured the tip of the male stud is exposed. (This is starting to take on erotic overtones.} Now these are MY definitions, only. I am not inferring that they are correct nor do I imply that they were not used by other countries for other purposes.

Don't know if this helps explain anything. Certainly not very "technically" worded.
Unread 08-28-2002, 08:40 PM   #8
Hugh
RIP

Talking

Garfield,

Please don't get any more "technical", this here is a family website. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]