LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 09-24-2003, 09:52 PM   #1
Tony S.
User

Post 1917 Navy

Gentlemen,
I am looking for an estimate price on the following Navy. I think that I have an idea, but I am not too familiar with holster quality and prices. Your assistance is appreciated.
http://boards.rennlist.com/lfupload/DSC00362.JPG

It is a 1917 Navy all matching to include the magazine. All proper markings on gun. Tool (I believe) is not Navy marked. Holster is marked above stud but under the cover flap. Gun is probably 80-85% with most wear on front grip strap and high areas on the right side of gun. The holster appears to have being modified (long time ago) from a shoulder stock type into a belt type (belt loops added, old stitching visible). The belt loops are as worn as the holster, it does not distract from overall look. The Rod appears to be the Four variation, early brass zig-zag rod with walnut barrel.
Thanks,
Tony
Tony S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2003, 11:09 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,432 Posts
Tony, I can't get too good a look at this outfit so is difficult to give any estimate that would be very accurate because many factors come into play.

Pistol, $2500.00

Holster is missing the ears over the cleaning rod pouch. Looks pretty good though as Imperial Navy holsters go. $800-$1000.00

7" cleaning rod if original-$250.00

Tool if Navy marked $200.00 if not ?

These are really only blue sky estimates...Without more info it's anybody's guess. You could be getting taken if the pistol has been boosted.

Hope this helps, Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2003, 01:57 AM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,149 Times in 1,694 Posts
Jerry,
Unless my eyes deceive me (which happens not infrequently) it looks to me like I can see the ear on the cleaning rod pouch. It is just twisted sideways a little.
Unread 09-25-2003, 10:03 AM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Jerry,

FWIW, My old eyes would have to agree with Ron's assessment... Here is an enlargement of the photo (which is somewhat out of focus) with some color correction and contrast adjustments... I am fairly sure I can also see the Cleaning Rod flap "ears" are present, but in the shadows of the light used to photograph it...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2003, 04:23 AM   #5
Big Norm
RIP

Tony,
just my opinion. Wear on a Luger is pretty subjective. If the wear is strictly holster wear and thinning of the bluing, then the value of the gun is not greatly diminished. But if the wear also includes pitting and/or some strong rust spots or deep dents or scratches, then the value of the Luger drops. There is not much that can be done with them. But this is just the humble opinion of one of many collectors on this forum. Each of us will have our own ideas of collectibility and value.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2003, 09:28 AM   #6
Navy
RIP

Hi Tony,

I believe the accessories are more interesting than the pistol.

I think Jerry is about $500 more generous than Me on the gun; I see quite a few in similar shape and they are nothing special. The matching mag makes it a little interesting if the mag is right. The holster is a nice Type 1. I agree with Jerry's evaluation of it; I might be inclined to go a bit higher depending on markings. The tool is a gimme; nonmarked tools are a dime a dozen, so to speak. A real Imperial Navy tool is an easy $200. The rod, however, is *very* interesting. I'd pop $500 for the rod without batting an eye.

If it were me, I'd offer somewhere around $3000-3200 for the whole outfit and then dump the pistol later for a better one.

My zwei pfennigs.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2003, 11:45 AM   #7
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,149 Times in 1,694 Posts
Holy spoons!! Is a zig-zag cleaning rod really worth that much?! Now I feel like I cheated the guy I bought mine from. (Not really...I paid what he was asking .)
Unread 09-26-2003, 01:44 PM   #8
Navy
RIP

Ron,
I haven't seen a *real* Navy Zig Zag rod FS in about 10 years...they are pretty rare. I am looking for one if you know of any that are loose; also any ordinary (If they may be termed as such) Navy marked rods/tools.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2003, 03:55 AM   #9
Big Norm
RIP

Geez! You guys are pretty tough on a 80-85% Navy. $2,000? From the pictures I would say that the gun may not be in that bad a shape. Maybe if it were badly buffed, then I would agree. But, then again, what can you really tell from one photo?
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote