LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-18-2003, 03:06 PM   #1
rommel
New User

Post newbie

I would like to know what is a good book to get that covers basic imformation on lugers .Also what price and type of luger would you recommend for a newbie like me just curious.THANK YOU.
rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2003, 03:52 PM   #2
Thor
User

I would recommend Jan Still's Third Reich Lugers. Study it intensely and get to know a lot about finishes, fonts of letters, number styles and placement. DONT be in a rush to buy your first. Ask questions, watch the forum a couple of months, save your pennies. Then look for an original byf 41 or 42 that is all matching for a first COLLECTION PIECE. Continue to buy books, read, then decide which direction you want to go. The very first Luger might be a mismatched parts shooter. They are less expensive, fun to shoot, and will feed your desire to learn more about Lugers. Education and research should be the first step, but it rarely is, most folks just take the plunge......then ask questions. It is human nature to do this when you get excited about one of these cool guns for the first time, but getting the cart before the horse, will undoubtably cost you. Good luck and good collecting!
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2003, 04:42 PM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
I would guess from your handle "rommel" that Thor's suggestion of "Third Reich Lugers" is a good one. However, if you have not decided on a collecting emphasis (and you can't collect them all unless your name is Bill Gates) you might also consider a book or books that includes a wider range of Luger production. Jan Still has published a series of excellent books that cover the range from Imperial era through Third Reich. A single reference that spans nearly all the basic types of Lugers in that range is Kenyon's "Lugers at Random" and is a good basic reference for the beginner. Which ever way you go, for goodness sake buy books or check them out at the library before you purchase anything. Armed with just a little bit of knowledge will go a long way toward saving you dollars and disappointment. As Thor said, good luck and good collecting.
Unread 01-18-2003, 11:13 PM   #4
rommel
New User

Thanks alot guysI will take your advice and read read read.Before i part with my $$$
rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2003, 09:49 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
You can also get some good basic information and some really good illustrations and photos of Lugers in the four Computer E-books about Lugers by Gerard Henrotin. They are less than $8.00 each and downloadable online for members with a PC... Macintosh users can read these books only if they have a PC emulator software.

I am not in my office to use my favorites to provide the Link, but if you do a google search on Luger E-books you should find the site where you can purchase them. The neat thing about these books is that you can download them in just a few minutes and be reading about Lugers without leaving your computer desk.

The can't compare with Jan Still's hardback reference works, but they are certainly worth the $8 each and I recommend them to all beginners.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote