LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-03-2003, 09:07 PM   #1
JohnF
User

Post Erfurt/DWM grips query

Happy New Year to all Luger Forum Members.
Can anyone tell me if there is any difference in the grips between an Erfurt P.08 and a DWM model? I have a horribly mismatched 1918 Frankenluger that may or may not be an Erfurt as the Erfurt marked piece is one of the mismatches. It also has what I think are VOPO grips - black bakelite with a bullseye? I'd like to change these but don't want to buy grips that don't fit if Erfurt and DWM are different. It is also has a lot of proof marks, all of which have been scored over with an X. I know that I should probably just not waste any more money on it but it's the first Luger that I bought and I'm kind of attached to it.
Any information would be appreciated.
Best regards,
John
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2003, 11:40 PM   #2
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

John; I have several Lugers, and they all interchange. The grips on the late Erfurts seems to be very oversize compared to the DWM. Your gun would be fine with nill-grips at half the price as originals.
Lonnie
Unread 01-04-2003, 10:57 AM   #3
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

John, The major differences between DWM & Erfurt military grips (both will be numbered with the last 2 digits of the serial number) are that the Erfurt's will also have an Imperial inspector's mark (crown over a letter) stamped inside and the later Erfurt grips are sometimes not checkered all the way down to the grip straps. As a less expensive alternative, I do have both the German made NIL grips @$75 and Indian made course checker repros @$25 available. Both of these come slightly over sized in lenght and must be fitted to your luger, but at least you don't have to worry about them being loose, as can happen with originals that may have shrunk over the years. Tom H
Unread 01-04-2003, 12:59 PM   #4
Pete Ebbink
User

Sample of my Erfurt grip proofs :

Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2003, 01:02 PM   #5
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,676 Times in 550 Posts
JohnF, look at the eagle on the right side of the slide. If it appears to be holding a cross in one talon and a champaigne glass in the other talon, that's an Erfurt eagle proof and the slide will be Erfurt-made. A DWM eagle will have feet that appear to be almost like a ball... at least that's the best way I can describe it.

Look on the front of the trigger guard. If there is a crown over a gothic letter stamped on it, the frame is Erfurt. DWM did not stamp theirs that way. There may also be a "lazy" small crown over a letter stamped on the raised part of the frame on the left side just in front of the sideplate. That, too, is an Erfurt inspection stamp. Again, DWM did not mark their Lugers in this fashion.

Your description indicates that your Luger was an East German rework and be aware that they may have placed some stamps on the gun. A common one is a shield with a number inside of a starburst. Another, often found on the front of the frame near the serial number is a circle with an "X" inside. These are not factory stamps by either Erfurt or DWM. If you have questions about any markings on your pistol, pictures would help the forum members to identify them.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote