LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-01-2003, 04:32 PM   #1
bleumoon
User

Post First Post First Luger Help ID

Hi, Great website! This is my first post about my first Luger. I have looked at every picture and read all the information provided here. But I am still having problems dating my recent purchase. Any help would be great! I have downloaded the Identification form and completed the form. 7.65 30 cal. Toggle Ins. is DWM but also has a horizonal crown N on the side of toggle {photo 5} where the white arrow is pointing, takes a magnifing glass to see and still not to plain. The Vertical crown N is also located on the left side {photo 5}. No grip safty. Does have the stock lug. The serial number is 1977 located on barrel and above trigger guard with a letter which looks like an {k} beneath the 1977. I tried to take a photo of this but no luck. The number 77 is located on all other parts that I see without breaking down the gun. Measuring the barrel from forward end of extractor to muzzle I get 3 3/4" or a little shorter but not 4". Magazine bottom is wood but I find no number anywhere on it. Grips are checkered wood. I believe that the gun has been reblued. That's about it for the description. I paid $425 and I would love to know it's value.

bleumoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2003, 09:11 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts
I would also venture that it has been re-blued, as the pictures seem to show very light pits with blue over them.

Still, a nice looking Luger, probably a commercial of a WW1 gun, the date has been ground off and then sent to the US as a commercial piece. (true commercials didn't have a suffix, almost universally military, plus the caliber is almost never military).

A "shooter" goes from $400-$550 where I am, 30's seem to go for a bit less, but you paid a decent price for it.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2003, 10:25 PM   #3
Navy
RIP

Hi bleumoon,

Based on the pictures, you have a pure shooter re-blue. At $425 or so, it is money well spent..these things were going for about $300-350 only a few years ago.
Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2003, 11:54 PM   #4
bleumoon
User

Thanks for the replies! That is the way I was leaning, a 1920 commercial rework of a military luger. In my Firearms Price and Reference Guide it says exported guns were marked "Germany" but guns sold in Germany were not marked. So I guess this gun made it way here after being sold commercialy in Germany. It also mentioned removing of the proof marks which this gun still has. And was the only place I saw mention of a 3.5" barrel which this could be, but if I am measuring it right it is 3 3/4". Also this is the only gun I have noticed here that has a horizonal "crown N" proof mark on the toggle. Is this unusual? I bought the gun to shoot so I don't mind the rebluing but the cost of ammo here is $28 for 50 rds. so I don't think I will be shooting it a whole lot. Thanks for the help!
Unread 12-02-2003, 12:23 AM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts
As I said, it was probably made after WW1, this is the Weimar era, you find a vast range of barrel lengths, calibers, etc., during this time-frame.

The horizontal crown N is seen on commercial pieces, are there any proof marks on the right?

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2003, 12:32 AM   #6
bleumoon
User

No, there are no other proof marks other than the two I mentioned, both on the left side.
Unread 12-02-2003, 09:49 AM   #7
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Bleumoon, You have a reblued 1920 commerical with the 7.65x95mm barrel, which is normal, as is the horizontal C/N on the center toggle link. Your side plate profile appears a bit strange. Unless it is numbered with the last 2 digits of the serial on the lower edge, it may be a repro replacement. Still @$450, a fair price in today's market. TH
Unread 12-02-2003, 02:49 PM   #8
bleumoon
User

Yes lugerdoc, it does have the 2 digits of the serial on the lower edge. Thanks for the info! I saw in a post in another forum that lugerdoc might have what is needed to convert a 30 cal. to 9mm. Would this devalue the price of this luger or since it is reblued anyway wouldn't make any difference? 30 cal. ammo is so expensive I'd rather have a 9mm. Or could you set it up to change barrels?
Unread 12-02-2003, 03:56 PM   #9
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,288 Times in 426 Posts
Bluemoon,

Because your Lugewr is reblued, the fact that it is matching is its last vestige of authenticity. It would be a shame to rebarrel and lose that, when boring out to 9mm is practical. You will need to change the recoil spring to one appropriate to the heavier charge.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2003, 12:57 AM   #10
bleumoon
User

Thanks Dwight, Is that all there is to it? Can you use the same magazine? About how much should that cost? And has anyone had it done? Sounds like the way to go to me. Had to order a box of 30 cal. should be in wednesday, will be running to the range to try it out!
Unread 12-04-2003, 12:21 AM   #11
bleumoon
User

Thanks Rick for all the info. Finally got to shot it today and now I see what all the fuss is about. It made me look good. Best groupings I have had to date. I'll admit I was a little nervous shoting a 80 year old gun for the first time but after that first shot it was like I'd shot it for years. Don't think I could stand to own one and not shot it often. I'm hooked! I think I'll just find a 9mm and keep the 30 cal. also. This could get habit forming. Never have done any reloading but it may be time to learn. Thanks everyone for all the great help!
Unread 12-04-2003, 01:03 PM   #12
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
bleumoon,

You have just discovered what many of us have known for years... A Luger feels like it is part of your hand... not just something you are holding That comfort certainly makes a difference in what you can hit!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2003, 08:31 PM   #13
Steve Richards
User

Welcome to the .30 Luger fan club! If you don't want to reload, I can send you the info on a loader in my area that ships via UPS and they run $85.00/250. It is still more than 9mm but cheaper than any others that I have found and they cycle in my three guns without a hitch.

No financial ties, just a customer.
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2003, 08:45 PM   #14
bleumoon
User

Wow Steve that sounds great! Would love to have the info. Thanks!
Unread 12-05-2003, 12:35 AM   #15
Steve Richards
User

The person who does the loading is Richard Specht.

Email: ammoman2@msn.com
Phone : 503-390-9192
Fax 503-390-9144

The load is 95gr FMJ at 1330FPS out of a rebarreled Glock so they are fairly hot.

He also loads for many other "odd" cartriges.

He ships UPS to street addresses only. NO PO Boxes.
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote