LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 07-23-2003, 12:39 AM   #1
MikeH
New User

Post need help with an id

To start off with, this is my first visit here and i would like to say you all sound like a great bunch of guys. I recently inherited along with a few other guns, a Luger pistol. I know more than a bit about most firearms but was shocked to find out all Lugers weren't the same. So here is what i have: there is an eagle above the chamber. Looks like a DWM on what i was told is an early style toggle. Has a grip safety as well as a thumb safety. There isn't any proof markings on it except for on the back of the toggle, take down lever and the bottom of the plate on the left side there is a 56. On the frame just below the barrel the sn# 5656 along with germany. The barrel at its base has 5656 as well. All the numbers match on this luger except for the wooden bottomed magazine which is numbered 2341 or 2941 and has a couple marks that look like 7's with a line through them. There is no stock lug and apart from the wear on the front and back strap and a little holster wear is in great shape. The little bit of info i have on this Luger came from my grandfather who purchased it. He said it was caliber .30 luger? and he thought it had been a pistol which had been tested by the Army. Any identification and history on this luger would be much welcomed. Hopefully i will be able to put up a few pictures of it in the next couple of days. Thanks again!!!
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2003, 01:03 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts
Welcome Mike!

This is probably NOT a test gun, although anything is possible.

Can you tell us any markings or proofs on the gun?

Proofs? (see on your left under tech information if you came through www.lugerforum.com) Tell us what and where proofs and markings are located. You said no others? I beleive there should be some, but older ones are out of my purview.

There are forms in this section, where you can print out and then write down pertinent information.

Are there any year or letters are stamped on the top of the receiver? {{I expect not, but ask anyway}}

Can you provide pictures, to include side, top, etc?

It should be 30 Caliber and is most likely a commercial model.

What do the toggles look like? {The things you pull back to load it.}

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2003, 08:00 AM   #3
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Mike, Your 1900 AM.Eagle #5656 is only a few hundred numbers prior to the earliest know US test luger #6099. If it were a test, it would not be marked Germany and the serial number of the locking bolt would be on the right side vise yours on the left. TH