LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 02-08-2003, 03:45 PM   #1
Roadkill
User

Post Don't you just hate it when.......

I blew up another damn gun. This was a NEF .223 Bull Barrel with a Winchester 62g soft point,
last time I cleaned it I ran a clean patch through it several times while talking to my ugly
dog, seems the tip of the cleaning rod unscrewed and came off in the barrel. Big mistake. The ejector is embedded in the bottom of the shell case, the hammer and firing pin gone who knows where, the trigger guard and everything inside shattered, all the springs broke, and my scope is bent and won't focus. My ears are still ringing (wonder if I can get another 10% from the VA?) , my trigger finger looks like hamburger, and there ought to be one real happy coyote out there cause he should not be on this earth. Oh well. Think I'll take my 03A3 hunting in the morning. My dogs are raising hell right now, coyotes are singing tonight. Later ya'll.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2003, 03:50 PM   #2
Herb
User

You Dummy!!!! A quarter million dollars of military training down the drain, send you to school and all you do is flirt with the teacher! lol.
Unread 02-08-2003, 04:01 PM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,288 Times in 426 Posts
RK,

Glad to know you survived the incident, hope hamburger finger is amenable to healing soon.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2003, 05:49 PM   #4
ToggleTop
User

I don't know if I believe that story or not. Can we see a picture of your trigger finger to confirm it? LOL, LMAO, MAID
ToggleTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2003, 06:18 AM   #5
Stevie
User

How many guns have you exploded?

Stevie.
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2003, 06:49 AM   #6
policeluger
RIP

There were NO military teachers I wanted to flirt with!!!! hope your trigger finger is OK and your eyes where not hurt.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2003, 07:04 AM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts
I hear that!

Herb must have been lucky and had a few WAC's in his unit LOL

Hope the trigger finger looks ok, and doesn't have "tire" marks, never fun when something bad happens!

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2003, 08:13 AM   #8
Roadkill
User

Thanks for the concern but except for the ringing in my ears I'm ok and I've had that since I pulled in a firebase in Cambodia in 1970 and parked my jeep 25 or so yards down wind of a 155mm howitzer just as someone yelled "fire", it knocked me out of the seat and shattered the windshield, that got my left ear, then a few months later on an APC I had the misfortune to be on the track side that hit a mine. That got the other one. Point is the crickets never really stop singing, just are a little louder now. Stevie, I've blown up two this year. Both my own damn fault. The trigger guard was plastic so it really shattered, I just patched my finger up with duct tape. I've really had much worse happen before. Eds' right, the Humvee really hurt. Gotta be more careful though.

rk
Unread 02-09-2003, 08:35 PM   #9
Stevie
User

Long-long ago I got a Winchester 54 out of a burned up house, put a $30 dollar new stock on it, and shot 8-10 rounds of federal .30-06 through it. Not sure what happened, but it was loud and it hurt. Might as well been dynamite. I shot crossman BBguns and Savage .22's for a long time after that. Finally my mom let me get a used Winchester 94 .30-30. It's been downhill ever since.

Hope the finger grows back, Stevie.
Unread 02-10-2003, 08:14 AM   #10
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
A horrifying experience Tacfoley... we are grateful that you were not the shooting companion that caught that shrapnel... My heart goes out to the owner of the Trooper who must live with the results of his carelessness and the memory of a former friend.

RK! Most of the time, old soldiers tell each other to keep their head down... in this case, I hope you will do exactly that and WATCH WHAT THE HECK YOU ARE DOING FROM NOW ON! Otherwise we may have to transfer you to the rubber gun squad.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2003, 03:08 AM   #11
unspellable
User

Stevie,

Is it possible your Winchester 54 got warm enough in that house fire to take the temper out of the metal and so weaken it? This has been known to happen to firearms that have been through a fire.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2003, 03:30 PM   #12
Stevie
User

The poor old 54, I saw this rifle before it got burned up, and it was beautiful. When you're 15 years old and a fine hunting rifle is going to the dump, you go get it out of the truck. Yes I think it got too hot, the mauser desighn and fine Winchester steel probably saved my life.

I sometimes worry about getting ahold of another fire damaged gun someone has fixed up. Hopefuly no one else is as stupid as I was.

Check your bore, don't shoot burned guns, Stevie.
Unread 02-12-2003, 04:58 AM   #13
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I bought a Garand receiver that the story said that it was taken from the scrap pile that was purchased at an Army Depot. Paid a premium for it since it was not rusty. Spent a small fortune in time and money gathering all the necessary parts to build a beautiful M-1 rifle. Spent hours polishing it until it looked like a presentation Browning without the engraving. Sent it off and had it blued by the best in the area...

It was gorgeous! Thirty rounds of test firing proved to me that the weapon had been in a fire... the bolt lugs had eaten a nice depression in the receiver from firing...

It hung on the wall for a couple of years and then I contacted Springfield Armory in Illinois and they replaced the wasted soft receiver with a serviceable one... but it just wasn't the same... and wasn't very accurate.

I ended up trading it even for Nickle plated Colt Gold Cup NM... Boy could that gun ever shoot! Wish I still had that one!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 02-12-2003, 06:43 AM   #14
Roadkill
User

John,
I've got a few wall hangers that could use some of that type of care and attention. Let me know if you get bored and I'll send a few up your way. In fact, I would be remiss in my obligations if I failed to do so. Any preferences? Long gun? Pistol? Revolver? With or without 75yrs of cosmoline? Really glad to be of assistance. What are friends for?

rk
Unread 02-12-2003, 07:05 AM   #15
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Rk,

I have wised up a bit since that episode took place..(1974-75). But thanks for the offer.