LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-02-2001, 01:06 AM   #1
tony k
User

Default Need advice on Luger project

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but: Is it possible two have two complete barrel assemblies -- upper receivers, if you will -- for one Luger?

I've been coveting all the long-barreled Lugers that have appeared here since GT's Navy project started, and I have lust in my heart for a shooter with a 6- or 8-inch barrel and target rear sight. I guess I could build/have one built on a mismatched rework, but as I opened my safe the other day and looked at the multiple upper receivers I have for my AR15 family, it struck me that I've never heard of doing the same with a Luger.

Is it possible, given the amount of fitting required, to build a second long-barreled unit for my BYF? And, if it is possible, would it be any less expensive than just going out and getting another Luger and building it up as I would like?

TIA, and thanks as well for all the great Luger info y'all post here! I'm slowly learning....:-)

Unread 05-02-2001, 02:34 AM   #2
Patrick
User

Default Re: variable Luger

German handgun law being as it is, there�´s no other way of owning more than one Luger. Once you�´ve overcome the dogma of the "fully numbered" gun, there�´s not much to stop you from using any barrel and receiver from carbine length to one inch Mini in both calibres (9 mm & 7.65 mm).Fitting the receiver to the grip is not one of the major problems and if you can try out the fit, you should be able to see whether it is too loose or too tight quite easily. A tight fit is often the result of torque applied when the receiver was re-barreled. German ex-servicemen have often told me that they never saw a "fully numbered" P 08 during the last years of the war and wouldn�´t trust any of them to be genuine. Most contributors to the Forum corroborate that they have no compunction in "making up" a fully numbered gun. If you are not a very serious collector, your�´s is a good idea. Patrick

Unread 05-02-2001, 08:43 AM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default Re: Need advice on Luger project

Hi Tony! I think it is a great idea, I have struggled toward that very same idea for quite some time now, two things make it hard for me to accomplish, 1) the high cost of nice luger parts...and, 2) my inability to make up my mind as to which pistol to start with, and as to what options I would like to have.....I start thinking simple and soon wander off into the exotic.....but I think for those that want straight military examples, interchangable barreled receivers should be a pretty straight forward thing......happy hunting / building!...till...later....G.T.

Unread 05-03-2001, 07:30 AM   #4
tom heller

Default Re: Need advice on Luger project

Tony, I have parted out many of the newly imported PO8s for customers, and sold them just the top half of pistol for half price (slighty higher if all matching serials or unusual markings). In some cases, they wanted either a new 6" @$60 or 8" LPO8 @$200 barrel installed @$100 for rebarreling, head spacing, test firing & front sight installation. This naturally doesn't include the cost of the LPO8 rear sight @$200 plus another $50 for installation, so your can see that this can become an expensive procedure. If you can find the correct length & caliber barreled receiver at a show and choose to use your existing sear, ejector and toggle assy (some fitting may be required) from one of your current lugers, you can probably get by for less. Tom