LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 07-02-2003, 06:53 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Arrow Mag platings & colors??? What did they use?

Hi to all! I have looked at a large number of P.08 magazines over the years, and I am still not sure about the different platings that are on the shells?? All I have ever read about platings on Luger mags suggest a nickle finish... but I have yet to see a bright nickle shell on a WWI or earlier unit! Some of the Erfurt mags have been brighter then most other types, but none anywhere near as bright as say 06/29 Swiss, or newly made nickle plated mags of today... And what do you think about the ones with a golden tint, or even a few with a greenish hue to them?? This has always perplexed me... If the finish is indeed nickle, then how is it dulled down for a military use? Any ideas from some of our enlightened metal engineers?? Thanks! Till....later.....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2003, 09:31 PM   #2
Heinz
User

Interesting question GT. My Haenel Schmeisser looks like nickel but the two Imperial era mags do not. Possible alternatives that come to mind are tin and cadmium, both start bright but dull down quickly. I will see if I can corner a metallurgist at work and ask if than can tell from a microscope look at the grain structure.

heinz
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2003, 10:16 PM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Arrow

Hi Heinz! Thanks for the reply!.... I have often though of tin, and that maybe correct for the ones that have a gold or yellow tint... ( I remember seeing tin window panes in old houses look like that!) But, I don't think cad... a question I would have is, can nickle be applied in a dull state?? Or is it chemically treated to be dull in another bath?? Again, thanks for the reply Heinz! till...later....GT
Unread 07-03-2003, 11:09 PM   #4
Heinz
User

GT if they used an "electroless nickle" bath the plating finish is relatively dull. It is a dip acid bath without electical connections to the part. Second, if the part has a rough finish and the plating is thin, or put on quickly, it will be dull looking.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2003, 09:11 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Arrow

Hi Heinz! I have heard that that the Haenel mags were some type of industrial chrome plating... I have heard them described as everything form aluminum to stainless steel...But the chrome makes sense... I know they are not stainless as I have seen several rusted unto junk! I would suppose that results would be many, and varried, with nickle platings... I am going to try some shadetree research on a shell or two! Best to you Heinz, and thanks for the info! till...later...GT