LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 11-29-2002, 12:17 AM   #1
JimD
User

Post Artillery value?

Another friend of mine has a 1917 Artillery that I'm thinking of buying. The only parts not matching are: trigger, un-numbered side plate, bolt hold open and un-numbered extractor. The mag also does not match. Finish is original, about 85%-90% with straw at about 75%. Micro adjustable rear sight, and bore is bright and shiney.

Now the unusual part: On the right side of the rear sight base boss, in front of the eagle it is marked; VP, under a symbol I can't make out with the naked eye, 9M/M 725 15 TONS. Looks to be import stampings. There also seems to be tiney VP marks on the frame, barrel receiver and toggle parts.

For the most part I realize the gun is shooter grade and that's one reason I'd buy it, plus I just love Arilleries. Any guesses on what I should pay? I'm thinking in the $1200 range.

Jim
Unread 11-29-2002, 12:53 AM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
The marks you describe sound like British proof marks, but it would be useful to see photos of them to make sure. Objectively, for a mismatched, import-marked LP-08, your price range is easily a third too high. Artilleries are suffering from outrageous inflation these days, and people seem to be willing to pay far more than their worth.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2002, 12:53 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Artillerys go for more than you'd think. I would say a shooter price should be $800 - $900, hopefuly less, but I have never tried to get an arty for a shooter (the last 18 years. My first Luger is a Erfurt arty I paid $325 for). Artillerys go for a bit of money on the auction sites, so $1200 is probably reasonable.

Anyway, just some information, the [quote] 9M/M 725 15 TONS. Looks to be import stampings.<hr></blockquote>

Is a British marking, hopefully TacFoley or Johnny can answer this better.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2002, 07:39 AM   #4
Kyrie
User

Hi Jim!

The Artillery in question sound to have British proof marks. If you can get a close (or magnified) look at the â??VPâ? it may turn out to be â??VRâ?.

In terms of value, shooter Artilleries typically sell for between $600 and $700, assuming they are mechanically sound. You could certainly pay more (many people do), but I would not recommend it :-)

Warm regards,

Kyrie
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cruffler_Forum/ ("The flame free C&R Forum.")
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/C96_Forum/ ("That Broomhandle Forum")
Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2002, 09:05 AM   #5
JimD
User

Thanks a bunch for all the replies. I suspected the marks were British import but wasn't sure. I will speak to my friend and see if we can bring the price more in line with the market. I don't mind paying him what it's worth but I don't want to pay now what it will be worth in ten years.

You all have been very helpful and I appreciate it very much. There seems to be a good bunch of people here.

Jim
Unread 11-29-2002, 09:33 AM   #6
Lugerlover
User

Smile

If anybody has an artillery that they would sell for $600, please contact me. I've never seen any decent shooters in that range.
Lugerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2002, 05:55 PM   #7
Kyrie
User

Hi Lugerlover,

Frequent the on-line auction houses like www.auctionarms.com and www.gunbroker.com. Iâ??ve picked up three nice shooter Arty Lugers from these in the last year, and the most Iâ??ve paid was right around $675.

Warm regards,

Kyrie
Unread 11-29-2002, 06:31 PM   #8
Lugerlover
User

Smile

It's the story of my life Kyrie. I always miss the good deals.
Lugerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2002, 10:57 PM   #9
Kyrie
User

Hi Lugerlover,

I understand completely ;-(

The key to getting good deals on the on-line auction houses is just pure persistence. Keep track at least once a week of what is being offered, and donâ??t be shy about making a low bid. Sometimes itâ??s possible to come to terms with a seller even after you have not met his reserve and the auction has ended. If heâ??s been trying to sell the pistol for a while he may be willing to listen to reason :-)

And sometimes you will have the opportunity to pick up a nice collector grade Luger because no one else recognizes it for what it is. I got a minty 1923 Commercial with a six inch barrel (itâ??s pictured in the Ownersâ?? corner) on Auction Arms for about $650 that way.

The luckiest Luger acquisition I ever made was a Persian Artillery. It was quite literally a gift, from a friend who spent some time in Arabia. He saw it in an arms souk and paid $200 for it, figuring Iâ??d like it. He was right :-)

Warm regards,

Kyrie
Unread 12-01-2002, 09:36 PM   #10
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,618 Times in 527 Posts
IMO, the "VP" should be "NP" (left leg missing) for "Nitro Proof". It's unlikely that it's "VR" as that would indicate "Victoria Regina" and the good Queen died in 1901, IIRC.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote