LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-21-2004, 06:56 PM   #1
Vboy
User

Post Effect of Rebluing on Value

What is the negative effect of rebluing on a Luger in good condition? Any estimates of the difference in value between a luger with the original finish and one that has been refinished?

Thanks,

Vboy
Vboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2004, 07:06 PM   #2
Thor
User

Depends on who does the work. A standard gunshop reblue will reduce the price by 1/2. I have gotten as much as 80% of the value of a minty example with my reworked/restored Lugers. I would say there are about 4 restorers in the country that will get premium prices for restorations. I have seen some shoddy work that would really reduce the value. If there is not a real good reason to restore the gun and it is in good condition, usually it is a good idea NOT TO, especially if it is a truly matched Luger.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
Vboy
User

Ed Good, said to be doing business as North Dixie Firearms, in New Hampshire, offers an S/42 with G date, all matching numbers, including the mag. The gun is described as in good working condition. But the gun has been reblued. The price is $750. My e-mailed questions about the finish and condition apparently offended him and he won't answer me.

Thanks,

Vboy
Unread 06-22-2004, 10:10 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Vboy, At that price the G date is probably a buff & hot dip blue, not a true rust blued restoration. As far as the advisability of restoration, my feeling is that unless the condition of the bore and matching restored grips is as good as the metal restoration, isn't not worth doing. TH
Unread 06-23-2004, 11:53 PM   #5
Frank H.
User

Hi Vboy, re: "My e-mailed questions about the finish and condition apparently offended him and he won't answer me" -

You know, it's amazing the number of people "in business" who place their contact e-mail address on THIER website, and they don't answer e-mail, any e-mail.

You could have offered to will him 5 Lugers, and you might not have gotten a reply. I also usually think it's "something I said" or whatever, but over the years I've seen how many, many individuals (and companies) simply don't even have the firing pin in place when it comes to e-mail, thus they shouldn't list their address and bring about the bad reputation for themselves.

Re: value of reblue, one other angle on this (beyond the great and accurate info provided here) is, "what is it worth to you, and what do you really want".

Happiness with what you own, enjoying the piece, hard to put a price on that. Looking at the sample pieces on Ted's site, wow, who wouldn't truly have pride of ownership with that quality of "looker", and to be able to shoot it as well without worry of putting wear on a museum piece.

Resale value is important, true, but sometimes we keep and enjoy things that aren't being put up for sale anyway, might as well please ourselves with how we spend our money.

Frank H.
Frank H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2004, 05:13 AM   #6
Big Norm
RIP

The question is really too vague to give a concise answer to. We have many different types of Lugerheads on this forum. Some only want to pretty up a mismatched shooter so that they can have a nice looking Luger to kill some paper targets at the shooting range. Others want to restore a very expensive rare collectors piece to "new in box" condition. There are all sorts of Lugerheads in between.

Suppose that you have a mismatched shooter that you only want to doll up. It has a good bore and functions well. Will that Luger drop in value? Maybe, but it wasn't worth a lot from the beginning.

But suppose that you have a rare and expensive collectors piece. After a while, that gun will have passed through a few sellers and buyers hands so much that you really don't know who did the original work. It could have been an artisian, a good counterfeiter or anyone in between.You really have to know your do-do regarding Lugers to tell and sometimes that isn't good enough. Remember, if the gun is rare and expensive there are few, if any, to compare it to and collectors may shun buying it at any price.

Your Luger will probably fall in between my above two examples and the above posts becomes truth. So the real question should be "I have such and such Luger in such and such condition. What will I gain or lose by having so and so restore it?" Then you have to take costs into consideration and make a judgement call.Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2004, 06:50 PM   #7
Vboy
User

Frank H.:

I got two replies from Ed Good which only indicated that he didn't want to deal with me. One reply was "go away." The other was "yadar, yadar, yadar." (I think he mispelled this Seinfeld shorthand used in conversation.)

Vboy
Unread 06-24-2004, 07:53 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts
vBoy, well, that usually convinces me they don't have anything I need to buy...

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2004, 08:13 PM   #9
DougT
User

Vboy,
Please see my post under restoring and refinishing (Erfurt). I sounds like you have a nice gun that doesn't look as good as you would like it to. Send it to Thor and you won't be sorry! Thor's guns will soon command their own market, and in the mean time you will be absolutely happy with your "new" Luger. I have never owned a gun that I prized so much as the Luger Thor restored for me.
DougT.
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2004, 09:20 PM   #10
Vboy
User

I don't have the gun. It was for sale on one of the gun sale sites and I wondered about a reblued matching WWII Luger. Seller won't answer my questions so that is the end of that story. My orientation is to collect what I can shoot so a shooter in excellent mechanical and esthetic condition is what appeals to me. I have no desire to buy a collectible Luger and lock it up. Thanks for all the great comments.

Vboy
Unread 06-25-2004, 03:29 AM   #11
Frank H.
User

Vboy, thanks for the clarification on that "attitude and maturity problem" dealer.

At least you're not stuck with him as a neighbor or boss etc, sheesh, it's a wonder he ever sells anything ever...

Frank H.
Frank H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 10:52 AM   #12
Lawdog67
User

I couldn't agree more with Frank about the e-mail thing. I am sick to death of trying to use some website's "contacts" e-mail address only to receive no response at all. And larger companies and governmental agencies or cities are no exception, either.

I notice the same thing about voice mails these days. Leaving someone a voice mail (when they're "out of the office" or not answering the cell phone) is about as effective as writing them a note on a scrap of paper and throwing it out your car window as you cruise down the road.

Maybe all these nifty things designed to keep us in better, constant contact are too much?

All I know is, if any of these comments apply to you or to anyone you know who runs a business, Frank is right. I'd rather you have no e-mail address available at all than make me waste two or three days waiting on a reply that you will never send. Don't ignore me as a customer or you will NEVER hear from me again!

And thanks for letting me know about another company I don't need in my life, Vboy.
Lawdog67 is offline   Reply With Quote