LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-21-2003, 10:08 AM   #1
Hay
User

Post Serial Number On 1938 S/42

Are there any reference materials or other means to find out any specifics about my S/42 based on the serial number 7759. I dont mean value so much as city and month made and where it was used. Other parts except magazine are numbered 59 also.
Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 10:59 AM   #2
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Hay, kinda tough to give you much information. There should be a suffix letter on the frame, under the barrel and is part of the serial number. Unless we know this suffix all we can say is that it was completed in 1938!!

With respect to where and when it was used, no information is available!!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 11:05 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Hay, there is very little to tell "where or whom" it was issued. There are some Lugers with unit markings, but these are almost always 20-25 years older than your S/42. S/42 is the marking for Mauser, so they were all made in the same factory, I don't remember the town, but if that is what you mean, someone will know.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 11:07 AM   #4
chris69
User

Hi Hay what a coincidence I just had a post about my Luger which is a 1940 coded 42 which is in the excellent condition but somebody put pearl grips on it. I was wondering if the grips on your Luger are stamped with the last 2 digits of the serial number. The last 2 digits of the Luger I own are also 59. I wouldnt dare to try to buy the stamped grips of your Luger. I just think its very funny me posting search for a stamped grips 59 and your posting about your Luger numbered 59 as well. Can you please let me know if your grips are stamped. I do own a s 42 as well but the grips are not stamped
chris69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 05:06 PM   #5
Hay
User

The letter under the serial number, under the barrel, on the frame is either a single cursive small case b or l. What does this mean?

Also, beneath the serial number under the barrel are some small markings (numbers) I can not quite make out. What are these markings for?

To Chris regarding grip numbers. I have not had grips off yet to see if they are numbered. Somewhere on this site there was instructions for how to do this carefully. I will try to find them and remove and check grips this weekend. weekend.
Unread 02-21-2003, 05:42 PM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Hay,

Here are my recommendations for grip removal.

First, do not remove the left grip unless absolutely necessary!

Take the magazine out, remove the right grip screw, put your finger into the magazine well, and push the right-side grip plate off from the inside.

It is likely, though not guaranteed, that any markings which may be on the left grip can be seen through the frame, without needing to remove it.

If you do need to remove the left grip, use the same inside-out techniquie, but be -very careful- about the small part of the grip which sits behind the thumb safety lever--it is very fragile, and can break off before you know it.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 07:02 PM   #7
RockinWR
User

Hay,
* Mauser (S/42) serialized the pistols in blocks of 10,000. First block: just numbers 1-9999; then, 1a-9999a; then, 1b-9999b; and so forth. Went thru the alphabet aprroximately 3.5 times from 1934-1942 starting with the "K" dates and ending with the byf'42's. Your example could be either the "b" or the "l" suffix block as the 1938 S/N range was approx. 400b-4500n. Check the "Tech.Info" section on suffix letters or post a clear picture of the frame S/N location.
* Small markings on the barrel could be "8,8?" which is the bore diameter in millimeters. Usual range is 8.85 +0.01/-0.03mm = 8.82-8.86mm. If your eyes are like mine, a magnifying glass is advised. If other than above, the S/N, or the barrel to receiver stake mark, please advise with a post/pic delineating.
Respectfully,
WR
RockinWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2003, 01:25 AM   #8
Hay
User

Chris:
Checked grips. There is a proof mark on each grip but no numbers.