LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-13-2004, 07:00 PM   #21
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts
John, a friend of mine collects Banners and has probably one of the best, if not the best, nicest collection of them I have ever seen or heard of!

I sure don't know much about them also, so it is a real lesson when other collectors can share bits of their collection for the edification of the rest of us!

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 07:22 PM   #22
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hey Ed..!

As you - I'd love to see pictures and posts about anyones collection. With the collectors here and on Jan's excellent site - something tells me "collecting" has come into a new era - where we all benefit.

In my mind - that's what it's all about. For that, I think collecting has passed from a "passive" information paradign into an "interactive" learning experience where we can share what we think we know, and bolster our knowledge through other collectors in "real time". As a proof - look at this thread where ToggleTop, Heinz, Steve and others have added terrific bits of information and assistance on only this variation.

To that point - and as I just posted back to John on Jan's site - I have a great deal of respect for those who continue to conduct their own research in both published works, and developing new research/findings which can assist all future collectors. I guess that's a "hot button" of mine, if you know what I mean?

So - this is a LONG answer that says - you are right on...!!!

(OH - and I just posted a new Gallery on a 1916 I'm trying to write the analysis on - again, just to share what I know and others can learn from... Again - to your point exactly....!!!)

My Thanks to you!

John
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2004, 11:33 PM   #23
Lyn Islaub
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

John D.
Interestingly enough, I just picked up my first Banner and it's a 1941 date too. S/N is 308y and it has one matching mag (#2)and is in about the same condition as yours (99%+). The barrel on mine is serialized and the number was correctly stamped after the barrel was blued which John Pearson tells me is a good sign that it is original blue. Also, the serial number on the left receiver side is set farther forward than yours so that the E/N above is just to the right of the "308". Don't know what significance that has if any. The grips have E/655 stamps which is the same as my byf 41 and 41 Code 42 which seems typical of the period. I presume yours are marked the same. I won't ask you what you paid if you won't ask me. Suffice it to say that Banners aren't cheap now days to say the least. I've got digital photos that I'll share with you and because you are much more computer smart than I, I'll let you upload them for the membership if you're so inclined. Also, for those of you lucky enough to have access to Costanzo, there is a significant amount of Banner data starting at page 398 that is worth reading. It's out of date in some instances, but in many ways it supports and compliments the data in 3rd Reich Lugers.
Regards, Lyn
Lyn Islaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2004, 12:58 AM   #24
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,671 Times in 548 Posts
For whatever reason, not a single picture shows on this thread. I've had no problems with pictures on other threads. What's wrong?
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2004, 09:40 AM   #25
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Hi Doubs,

Are you on a high speed connection? or dial up?

Have you visited this thread before? or was this the first time. If it was the first time, and you are on a slow connection it may take a long time for all the photos to show.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2004, 11:45 AM   #26
Fritzer
User

John, Doubs,

I had a similar experience when viewing the thread. I got the dreded "red X" where the pictures should be.

If I placed the cursor over the "X" where the image should be - then right-click for the pop up menu, then I selected 'Show Picture' and the image would refresh. This works if you are only missing a couple of pictures.

I also tried one other trick. From the link where you select the thread (either the thread index, message board index, or active topics) hold down the <ctl> key at the same time you click the link. (..This forces the browser to request ALL page content, and ignores the cache)

Just a couple of things to try...
Regards,
Fritz.
Fritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2004, 11:58 AM   #27
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts
Didn't know that trick Fritz! Thaks bud, always learn something new every week I say, now I can let my mind go for the rest of the week!!

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2004, 12:09 PM   #28
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hey Guys..!!!

Thanks for the feedback!!! Those pictures are on my "Gallery" server - which I just upgraded, BUT - I'm not certain the OS/Web Server is optimized? One of the difficulties is - across the 3 sites that use that dedicated server, I have over 20,000 photos and 3000+ Galleries, so it's somewhat resource intensive....

So - let me take a look and see if I can improved the response for you folks..

Thanks!
Unread 03-17-2004, 01:30 PM   #29
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,671 Times in 548 Posts
John, I'm on a cable modem and have visited this thread each time there's been an additional post.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2004, 01:56 PM   #30
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hey Doubs!

So - are the pictures still showing as "X"ed out - even if you hit the "refresh" button?? Also - is the same true in the 1916 DWM thread I posted or the Krieghoff thread (that one has lots of pictures!)...

If those show - and these don't - maybe I can try to "recreate" the server thumbs and see if that works?

Anyway - thanks for any additional info as I try to chase this down!!!

Best to you!

John
Unread 03-17-2004, 08:27 PM   #31
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Doubs - or anyone.....

I just finished patching some code on that server - both in the OS and the PHP scripts, and I'm interested how it's working for you (sorry that I've been taking that server on/off line for the past few hours..)

Thanks for any feedback!

John
Unread 03-18-2004, 10:31 AM   #32
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
John D. All photos are showing up for me except the second thumbnail from the top of the page... it is taking so long that I was able to type this entire response and it still hadn't shown up on the screen. When the progress bar at the bottom of the browser indicated that nothing else was being downloaded, I checked again, and all I had in that position was the red-x. When I right Clicked on it and chose 'show picture', the photo was IMMMEDIATELY shown with no additional downloading.

I hope this helps...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2004, 08:13 PM   #33
Kriegloker
New User

I had a question about the production rate for the banner police Mausers that were being discussed here. I have the exact same Luger, a Mauser 1941 large date police issue serial number 565. It has a matching number 2 magazine. How many Lugers would have been produced on a daily basis in 1941?

TJ
Kriegloker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2004, 12:51 PM   #34
kidvett
User

Hello John,

Very nice pistol you have there !! And a fabulous presentation......

A question: can you put a production date on this #99 Y pistol ?? ``Y`` Block Banners started in 1941 then continued in 1942. Photo shows 2 ``Y`` Block 42 dated Banners....

In trying to establish the production date of those....only thing I'm able to come up with is that one is ``early``, the other one ``late`` I know it sounds cheap but I dont have more info

Both Police issue with Sear Safeties.....Top pistol has a #1 matching mag ( and a Otto Sindel holster !! )Bottom one is one of my ``favorites``.....

Both have the E/N upside down proof on the front sight base....( have to admit I do like those ``muzzle shots photos``...)

Both being III Reich Lugers, they fall into my main area of collecting......

MARK
kidvett is offline   Reply With Quote