LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-02-2003, 02:14 PM   #1
P. Ristan
User

Post DWM 1915

Jan Still states in his book (Imperial Lugers) that very few DWM 1915 lugers are known in the h/i/k/l-blocks, and that theese blocks were only partially filled.

I own DWM 1915 #9754i. Would not the high number on mine indicate that the entire block was filled?

Thanks
P. Ristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2003, 02:28 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
It would seem so...but while someone here could comment on your question, in this case I would suggest that you inquire directly to Jan Still since it is directly related to one of his books.

The link to Jan's forum is listed on our "Links & Resources" page. Please be kind enough to let us know what he has to say about your very interesting question and extend to Jan our best wishes.

Thanks,

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2003, 12:46 PM   #3
P. Ristan
User

Jan C. Stills answer:

Peter
In the section covering the 1915 DWM (Still, 1991, IMPERIAL LUGERS, p 24) I stated "Only one or two serial numbers are reported in the h, i, and l letter blocks, and these suffix blocks may have been only partially filled."
I have been tracking unit marked Imperial Lugers for many years and have recorded 5 unit marked 1915 DWM's in the h suffix, 3 unit marked 1915 DWM's in the i suffix, and 3 unit marked 1915 DWM's in the l suffix. You might be interested in the other three serial numbers in the i block: 223i, 949i, and 3862i. I would now estimate that all these letter blocks were filled. The production estimate for the 1915 DWM(P08 and long P08)(Still, 1991, IMPERIAL LUGERS, p 24, 92) 120000 is based on filled letter blocks and would remain the same.
Thanks for the information.
Jan
P. Ristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2003, 07:18 PM   #4
Jim Keenan
User

Could this have less to do with numbering than with the low survival rate of all guns in the 1915-1917 period? Are those "missing" numbers under the ground somewhere in France or Russia?

Jim
Jim Keenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2003, 08:49 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts
Jim, I think that is true, as it is also true that many guns were refurbished during the Weimar period, some numbers were ground off and new ones put on them. Those are just educated guesses on my part, but it makes sense, so many guns were destroyed during the war, and also after the war by the allied commission in Germany.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote