LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 11-17-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
trigger643
User

Red face 1937 s/42 questions

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1937 s/42 in the t serial # range. Gun is the property of a veteran and comes with a notorized letter, but no capture papers. The veteran claims he has not reblued this gun and has had it since he took it from a german sgt in early 1945. I rate this gun blue @ 98%, straw 60%, comes with 1 police magazine which does not match, drop eagle "2" marking on holster, I can't read maker, and is matching, including grips, except for magazine. but here are my questions...

1. Would the bluing method used in 1937 be shinier than say, 1938 or 41? This appears to be an almost deep commercial type blue. There is no smudging of markings (except on the right side proof marks, I assume these were applied before the final polish?). Halo is evident on "1937", serial#s, "s/42" on toggle. Edges are crisp. There is thining on the grip straps, on muzzle, but little wear.

2. Would the toggle pins be fire blued? These are.

He's asking $1,100.00. I don't doubt this fellow's story. I'm just concerned about his memory.

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2004, 10:42 PM   #2
Tomathvl
User

Trigger643,
According to Jan Still in "Third Reich Lugers" you're looking at a subvariation 1 that was rust blued and had strawed parts. Later 1937 models were hot salt blued and did not have strawed parts. Rust blue is a much nicer looking finish. I'm not sure about the toggle pins but I believe so. IMO, based on your assessment of condition the piece with the holster is worth the asking price.
Tom
Tom
Tomathvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2004, 07:56 AM   #3
jamese
User

Trigger,
I have a 1937 1st variation in the q block. The pins are fire blue with straw small parts.

Jim
Unread 11-18-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Trigger, Depending on the condition of the E/2 marked Luftwaffe holster, it may be worth $500 by itself. TH
Unread 11-18-2004, 06:16 PM   #5
trigger643
User

"My name is Donald E Zahn. I was a PFC when I parachuted into Normandy on D.Day and discharged a 1st Lt. in 1945. This history of this Lugger [sic]is contained in part under my name in the books "Vanguard of the Crusades" and "The 101st Airborne in Normanday" written by Mark Bando. The Lugger [sic] was obtained from a German Sgt. in a group of prisoners captured on patrol with Lt. Richard Meason to contact a unit with communications as we had none at our location.

Donald E. Zahn /s/

(witnessed by notary 9-29-04).

Unread 11-18-2004, 06:39 PM   #6
trigger643
User

Sorry this picture is not very good. We are still unpacking from our move 3 weeks ago and I don't know where my other camera is yet (nor most of my socks, books, the phone...). Now that I have this sucker home, I'm going to rate the bluing at around 98% and strawing around 90%. matching. Holster is marked inside (maybe-- it is hard to read) "Alein Eger Schimilkalden" or something like that, and a drop eagle "2". Leather is in excellent condition, however, stitching on the rear flap has come undone and it could use a dose of Jerry's magic restorative powers. It is fairly scuffed all over, but not cut. a Crack is present in the mag pouch. The magazine is the nickeled type with aluminum bottom marked with "1." followed by "1930" -- serial # not the gun. still looks like a police mag to me.

Unread 11-18-2004, 09:57 PM   #7
trigger643
User

Unread 11-18-2004, 10:12 PM   #8
trigger643
User

now if I can find my socks and phone I'm in business

Unread 11-19-2004, 02:05 AM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts
We moved 8 months ago, found the socks, no phone

Mark Bandos website, very cool

http://www.101airborneww2.com/index.html

Especially go see the the souvenirs part of the site!

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2004, 09:38 AM   #10
Ida-Alp
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Ed--Thanks for the heads up on a GREAT website--Al
Ida-Alp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 09:11 PM   #11
trigger643
User

got to talk with the vet further last night about the circumstances surrounding this piece. They had engaged a german paratrooper unit earlier in the day, then captured about dozen soldiers, many of whom were hungarian volunteers. The pistol was taken from one of these prisoners. This happened within the first couple of days of D-Day. Later, a holster was acquired to put it in. As he brought back several Lugers at the end of the war, he admits it's possible the magazines got switched or there may have not been one with the pistol when he took it. He stated many times when they had prisoners it was just too much of a hassle to get them to undo their belt, so they often took just the pistols, leaving the holster with the wearer. He's liquidated almost his entire collection of Nazi Booty and this was his last fire-arm.

Unread 11-30-2004, 09:34 PM   #12
DougT
User

Trigger, remember what they say about snoozing and loosing. I think this is a very nice Luger--go for it!
DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote