LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 09-29-2021, 10:17 PM   #16
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Further proof that this pistol avoided the Mauser refit a lot of Police pistols went through. Mauser numbered those previously blank DWM toggle pins.
Seems that fluting firing pins, The job was to be carried out by unit-level armorers would require a level above unit armorers? Pretty complex milling machine set up but maybe they were more skilled than I can imagine?
You have to remember that the SA is a totally independent entity from the German Army even though they adopted many of Germany's ordinances.

They were under no obligation to do anything that Germany did so unless alterations had already occurred on Luger's they were purchasing or they chose to adopt upgrades to the P.08 there was nothing saying that both countries guns had to be identical.

As for the difficulty fluting firing pins Gortz & Sturgess have this to say on pg. 1074 Vol. 2 of Pistol Parabellum the Green set :

"To produce the flutes in existing old type firing pins, a rounded edge-section grinding wheel of 2.5mm width was to be employed
- if no high-speed grinding machine was at hand, a second cut file of 2.5mm diameter would do the job.
It was forbidden to anneal firing pins for the purpose of fluting
- in case a firing pin would withstand filing due to its hardness, it was to be sent in to the appropriate Ordnance office."

Finland's army had their own armorers which they utilized to transform purchased Commercial Luger's to their liking. Alterations such as the firing pin flutes and the addition of a breech block drilled "Gas Escape" hole preventing the pistol's destruction if the cartridge primer is punctured was done in their military arsenal. Mauser's firing pin mods had nothing to do with the SA mods in my understanding but I reserve the 'right to be wrong'.

Those were great questions Jerry ... Thanks
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to spangy for your post: