LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-10-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
Eric Lund
New User

Post byf Luger

Hi. New here.

My uncle recently passed away and left my mother a Luger he brought back from WWII. She got a bit aggressive cutting pictures out of his photo album, and so half of the war trophy certificate is gone. I still have the half that names my uncle and is signed by his company commander.

The Luger appears to be of mixed origin. My uncle relieved a German officer of it when he was processing POWs. I may not get all this terminology correct, but I'll describe it as best I can. The barrel is stamped with 3208 and 881 and has an eagle stamped on the right side. There is a 42 over the chamber, and byf and 08 on the slide. The serial number on the left side is also 3208, and side of the slide is marked 08. The other side of the slide has three symbols, two are numbered 135 and 136. The third has an eagle with swastika. There is also an eagle symbol on the left side of the slide, just in front of the hinge. There is a P.08 just forward of the safety. The larger side panel on the left has a 53. The all metal magazine is marked 3208 with a cursive s and an angled + sign or x. The grips are black, appear to be made of a synthetic material, and have no discernable markings. They have the diamond pattern on the outside and are in excellent condition. The front of the trigger guard, near the barrel is marked with 3042 and a cursive s. There are 42s on the barrel release and safety that pops up when the safety is activated. There is some very light rust on the barrel and a few minor dings. There is also normal wear to the bluing associated with being in a holster and normal use. It is in a holster, but not the classic German one. I believe my uncle got the holster just to protect the weapon.

I'm interested in dating the weapon, though with the different numbers that may be difficult, and if someone could suggest an approximate value, that would be helpful as well, as I am looking to sell it for my mother.

I will provide some pictures later, as my wife and I need to go out for a bit.

Thank you,
Eric
Unread 06-10-2004, 11:25 PM   #2
Doug G.
User

Eric, "byf" is a wartime code for Mauser. The 42 means 1942 the last year for Mauser P.08's. From your description it is half matching meaning that the top is from one gun and the frame from another. As to value about $450-$600, but could go for more if someone wanted it for parts.
Unread 06-11-2004, 12:42 AM   #3
Eric Lund
New User

Thanks,

A police officer "suggested" to my mother that it was worth about $1500, but after I noticed the different serial numbers, I figured that was pretty much a pipe dream.

Interestingly, my uncle also served in the unit that acted as guards for Eisenhower at the end of the war. Of course that has nothing to do with the weapon.
Unread 06-11-2004, 10:31 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts
The police officers guess was about right, provided it was all matching. Can you provide pictures, close ups, etc? Front of the trigger guard with the different number sounds like the only one that is odd?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">The barrel is stamped with 3208 and 881 and has an eagle stamped on the right side.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">The 3208 is a the serial #, while the 8,81 is correct and is the measurement of the land to land for the rifling.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">There is a 42 over the chamber, and byf and 08 on the slide. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">The 42 is the year of production, and byf is the code for Mauser, the 08 is the last two of the serial number. So far, so good.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">The serial number on the left side is also 3208, and side of the slide is marked 08. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Correct and ok so far.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">The other side of the slide has three symbols, two are numbered 135 and 136. The third has an eagle with swastika. There is also an eagle symbol on the left side of the slide, just in front of the hinge. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">These are proof and acceptance markings.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">There is a P.08 just forward of the safety.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Correct

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">The larger side panel on the left has a 53. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">This is one of the things that sounds wrong, I am assuming this is the trigger plate, and being 53 sounds like a part that is wrong...
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">The front of the trigger guard, near the barrel is marked with 3042 and a cursive s. There are 42s on the barrel release and safety that pops up when the safety is activated.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">This sounds like the top receiver has been replaced with another one?
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">The all metal magazine is marked 3208 with a cursive s and an angled + sign or x. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Matching magazines are not common and this adds value, even to a "parts" gun as many people will tell you it is. I think it is a bit out of that category, the value much less than an entire original piece, price stated above is probably right.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 09:20 PM   #5
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

The byf 42 didn't have the barrel diameter stamped on the barrel. The byf 41, I thought was the last to have that stamp. My byf 42 does not have it...
Unread 06-11-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
integralaction
User

Eric, the others here are more expert than I, and the price discussion sounds about right, but as a fellow byf (41) owner I would hope that it goes to a good home that will keep the gun and story together as it is. It sounds like a nice shooter-with-a-story and as such I think it would go in a flash at $450 unless the rust is bad or there is an operational problem. Why not buy it from Mom for $800 and keep it all in the family?

Bill