LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-09-2003, 01:13 AM   #1
Vonflak
User

Post no feeds at range

I have two byf's a 41 and a 42. I was going to shoot them for the first time at the range today. I couldn't get either one to feed a round from the magazines. Except when I pushed the mag in with my knee. What am I doin' wrong? Do I need
new catch springs?
Vonflak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2003, 12:14 AM   #2

Vonflack,

First, can you insert an empty magazine in each gun? Will the magazine latch into the gun? Can you then lock the toggle back? Will the magazine stay in solidly until the release button is pressed? If so, it sounds like the magazine catch is OK.

Now, with the toggle locked open AT THE RANGE WITH THE GUN POINTED DOWNRANGE can you insert and latch a loaded (with 1 round) magazine into the gun? What happens when you pull the open toggle back and release it?

Maybe your magazines are dirty, rusty or damaged on the inside. Are they original German magazines or modern replacements? Can you give us a little more information?
Unread 03-10-2003, 03:32 PM   #3
Vonflak
User

I think I caused the problem myself by not loading the mags well. I remember that the final round in the mag (first one to be stripped off by bolt) was somewhat flat and pointed at the mag wall. I just loaded another with care and now the final round is parallel with all the others and sticks up at a greater angle. Feed fine now.

They passed your other tests. The mags are Original German, one is pretty beat up. My first thoughts were that it was these that was the problem, but both had the same symptoms, in both guns.... Maybe the catch springs are week from having the mags in the pistol for years....nope, the common denominator....the operator!

Thanks for your time!
Vonflak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2003, 07:50 PM   #4

Great that you resolved the problem. I can't help much on collector questions since I am a shooter. Have fun.

I have 2 new Mec-Gar ss magazines that work perfectly in 2 guns (when the originals are a little shaky). They don't work worth a dang in my mismatched Frankenluger that nobody can identify. But that gun works perfectly for hundreds of rounds without cleaning using a beat up old German magazine.

You never know. Good luck and be careful.