LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
MSW
New User

Default byf Luger straw parts

Hello,

FNG/Newb checking in with a (probably) basic question. Great site—thank you for the information. As an “analog man in a digital world,” please forgive me & my search skills.

I have a matching byf 41 Luger (except magazines) that the straw colors are absent. I bought it from a small rural gun store without papers, but the story was it was a WWII bring-back & papers lost. Son sold it after dad died.

The bore is clean, bluing 90+%. Shoots great. It is in opposition to my 1944 Remington Rand. The Luger’s grips are worn like the blueing & not abused. I‘ve sent pics to collectors regarding my question & been offered $2k, but it’s not for sale. My questions & reason for sending pics was to ask an opinion re: refinishing, since the safety, trigger, extractor & takedown lever aren’t straw color, but blue. All major parts are marked “51” corresponding to the last 2 digits of the 4 digit serial number. There were 2 mags, complete with waffenamps & stylized, script letters, but neither has matching serial numbers

The trigger, takedown lever, extractor & safety are blue. From my reading, polishing & baking at 450F will re-straw the parts; will this add to the value? My understanding is to leave these “as is” as any refinishing can detract from value.

Is it true Mauser/byf stopped straw parts 1937? But, I was also told this wasn’t true...as “parts bins” would have had straw colored parts in 1941...which seems unlikely, but I’m not an expert.

Thank you for your help! And thank you for a great site. I’d love to buy a real, age appropriate holster & add some other Lugers, but I’m concerned about getting scammed by less scrupulous Luger sellers. Any recommendations for straight shooters?

Thank you again!
MSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,594 Times in 931 Posts

Hi Martin,
Welcome to the forum! A byf 41 Luger should have no straw parts. If someone offered you 2k for this gun I think you should take the money and run.
Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 02-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,148 Times in 382 Posts

Here's a couple photos of my BYF'41 for comparison. It is generally correct that straw wasn't used after mid to late '37. Except for commercial sale Banner pistols. (Always exceptions). This one is an "r" block gun. DO NOT have your gun refinished. Unless it's a real pig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5688.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	75654  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5687.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	75655  

gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 02-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
MSW
New User

So, my byf isn’t Mauser? I don’t see an S/42....

As noted—I’m not interested in selling it, just trying to figure out if it’s correct.
Unread 02-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
MSW
New User

Gun Bugs—serial number aside, mine looks like yours. I only note the price as 2 collectors said it was a nice gun and weren’t put off by lack of straw.
Unread 02-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
HerrKaiser
User

It is a Mauser produced gun, the codes just changed over the course of the Nazi regime. There are 42, S/42, byf, and byf-41 codes as well as typical Mauser banners. All are Mauser made Lugers. IIRC the codes were first established because Mauser production in the 30's violated the Versailles treaty.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is online now   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 02-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #7
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSW View Post
Gun Bugs—serial number aside, mine looks like yours. I only note the price as 2 collectors said it was a nice gun and weren’t put off by lack of straw.
They weren't put off by the lack of straw because it isn't supposed to have strawed parts...they knew a bit more about Mauser made Lugers than you did at the time. I would think they were trying to take advantage of your lack of details, but the fact that they offered $2K makes me wonder about their knowledge..."collectors"? maybe, maybe not. Any way, welcome to the crazy world of Lugers...folks here are glad to help keep you ahead of scammers.
Ron
Unread 02-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #8
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Just to complicate matters, while military Lugers from Mauser in 1941 and 1942 were all salt blued, they still shipped a very small number of commercial Lugers that had strawed parts after 1937. There are exceptions to every rule in Lugers.

You'll benefit from our forum's FAQ PDF document. Just follow the FAQ link at the top of every page.

Since Luger collectors value pistols in their original factory state, refinishing one will result in zero original finish, and no longer be considered collectible. You'll turn a collectible gun into a "shooter" worth at most 60% of it's original value.

Mauser received the tools and gauges, the master factory gunsmith August Weiss and what spare parts existed from Berlin DWM in about 1930-1931. By 1933, when the Nazi government took control, there really wasn't a practical issue relating to the Versailles treaty. The Germans simply ignored it. Until they formally threw off the restrictions, Mauser Luger military pistols were marked with a date code ("K" in 1934 and "G" in 1935) as well as a manufacturer's concealment code. Kurusu shared all the Mauser concealment codes in sequence. By the time Mauser switched to "svw" they were no longer making Luger pistols, having converted to P.38 pistols during 1942.
The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post: