LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 01-28-2018, 04:40 AM   #1
mauro
FIREARM HISTORIAN AND AUT

Default Paul Mauser event in Liège – Belgium

Dear Fellow Collectors,

It is my pleasure to inform you and to invite you to a major Mauser history event planned for Saturday, 21st of April in Liège - Belgium.

The event covers details of Paul Mauser‘s life, the Company, firearms development and Mauser’s impact on military firearms production.

The event also celebrates the fact that last year, 2017, was the 150-year anniversary of the Mauser brothers move from Oberndorf to Liège. They spent about 3 years in Liège, working under the supervision of Samuel Norris on an improvement of the Chassepot needle rifle, adopting it to fire metallic cartridge. In these three years, the foundation of the design of the future Mauser Model 71 rifle was established.

The Mauser relationship with Belgium and Liège continued with an important contract finalized in 1889 with the Belgian government for the furniture of the Model 89 rifle and, as a consequence, the establishment of the FN Company in Herstal (Liège).

Of course, several major topics will be discusses in the presentation, with part of the event focusing on Mauser revolvers and pistols.

All the information will be explained through the use of original documents available in the Paul Mauser and Mauser company archives (www.paul-mauser-archive.com).

The meeting is organized in the Liège Arms Museum, which contains one of the biggest firearms collection in Europe (http://www.erih.net/i-want-to-go-the...seum-at-liege/).

Attached you can find a brochure that provide more information and you can use it also to subscribe for tickets to the event.
Should you have any question or you need any help for logistics support, please feel free to contact us at the following email address: mauser.archive@gmail.com

We would like to thank Marc Erickson for his support of this event, including presentation of excerpts from the documentary film, “The Legacy of Paul Mauser”.

Best regards,
Mauro Baudino, Gerben van Vlimmeren
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SUBSCRIPTION FORM.PDF (1.04 MB, 32 views)
Unread 03-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
mauro

Dear All,
I would like to remind you the Paul Mauser event in Liege, Saturday the 21st of April.

It will be a great opportunity to discuss all together about new finds and historical aspects related to the life and production of Paul Mauser.
We are working hard to prepare very interesting presentations.

The Arms Museum in Liege, that has one of the biggest collection in Europe, will present interesting guns, among them one of the original Mauser - Norris rifle that was donated to the Museum by the first owner that presumably got the rifle directly by Norris.

If you need any help or clarification please contact me or Gerben.

Cheers,

Mauro
Unread 03-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
Diver6106
User

This sounds really great... Can we bring our Mausers to shoot on your range? (Just one of the many reasons we have a very strong NRA here.)
Diver6106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi David,

The event is a symposium to discuss Mauser and history, not a range event. There are certainly ranges near Liege and a number of clubs, but this event is not related to those.

Were you planning on transporting a firearm Internationally?

You may be also interested to know that one of the authors presenting is quite active in gun rights work in Europe.
The following 3 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 03-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
Diver6106
User

NO, transporting internationally is near impossible. And purchasing these classics in the EU is about the same - they don't like to export firearms. So too many of them are being demilled with plugged barrels and cut. Back in my Gov't days, it was possible to move guns around thru the USMC security details in embassies - but no longer and probably closed down. There were some scandals and stock piles involving Army SF guys in Asia.
Diver6106 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Diver6106 for your post:
Unread 03-29-2018, 01:10 PM   #6
mauro

Dear All,
I just update the schedule of the event.
Cheers,
Mauro
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Event planning.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	71852  

Unread 04-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #7
mauro

The Paul Mauser symposium on the 21st of April was a great success.
I would like to thank BVVW, AMAL, ARS MECHANICA and all the speakers for the great job. A special thank to Yves Quireyns for the leading talent.
Many thanks to all the participants.
Cheers,
Mauro
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_7404 (2).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	72140  

Name:	DSC_7417.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	72141  

Name:	P1000966.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	72142  

The following member says Thank You to mauro for your post:
Unread 04-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #8
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

The Arms Museum Grand Curtius at Liege also made available some very rare landmark rifles that were associated with Paul and Wilhelm Mauser's work in Liege.

This photo shows the past director of the museum putting final touches on the display.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LiegeCurtius.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	72143  

The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 04-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
mauro

The second from the top is a very rare Mauser - Norris. The only one in Europe (three are in USA).
This rifle was donated in 1889 by one of the founder of the museum to the museum itself.
Since then the rifle was always in the Museum Grand Curtius in Liege.
Cheers,
Mauro
Unread 04-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #10
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default Mauro! a little added history!

In our life journey, we sometimes happen across incredible people, that have seen incredible events unfold, and if we are lucky, we can hear history as it really unfolded... I have been one of those lucky enough to meet an individual such as that.. If it does not bore you folks, I will submit a little story that ties into the Paul Mauser history.. It all starts.....
Back in the late 80's early 90's I was a manager of sorts in a rather large boat service shop.. In the spring, we sometimes received enough boat service work to last us all summer much less any reasonable time frame for completion... We also sold and serviced Lawn Boy lawn mowers and we were deluged with them as well.. Well, around lunch time, all the techs took a lunch break and I was all alone at the shop, and in walks an old gentleman pushing a Lawn Boy with the starter rope hanging out of a broken starter! At that point in the day, I already had about 50 service invoices in my hand, and I said to him, I'm the only one here, and I'm about 6 months behind on the service I already have in hand, and I just couldn't help him?.. He replied, that he had a "hire a kid" at home, and was paying him to wait and wasn't there anything I could do? I said, alright, I'm six months behind, I might as well be six months and 30 minutes behind as well, and I will repair your mower...
While I was replacing the recoil spring in his unit, I struck up a conversation about his age and possible WW2 service. Turns out, in WW2 he was a LT. Colonel with the 78th Lightening division, and his battalion were the ones tasked with holding the German side of the Remagen Bridge head! He made it thru unscathed, but had terrific battles in which he participated and was highly decorated as a result, Legion of Merit, Silver Star, Bronze Star, etc.
We became good friends and I followed up with him and visited him many time as he would relate his version of WW2. One of the more memorable things was every day I went to see him, he was still receiving mail form his soldiers thanking him for different actions taken by him, that they felt saved their lives? Very much reminiscent of the theme of Saving Private Ryan. One day we were discussing the Remagen battle and he said he set up his CO in Paul Mauser's Vacation home, and actually brought Paul Mauser's personal sword back as a war trophy!
He said that after the war, he managed a motel in Faith South Dakota, and the sword was stolen during that period of time... probably in the late 50's?.. I don't know? Probably still there somewhere?..
Anyway, I was a pall bearer at Mr. Kennedys funeral, and miss him greatly even today... And so it goes... best to all, til...lat'r....GT....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 04-24-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Being nice to him says a lot about your personality..........
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to tomaustin for your post:
Unread 04-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #12
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

Ah, to be young again! You guys look great and I am sure it was a most memorable gathering. Wish I could have been there.
Ron
Unread 04-24-2018, 11:30 PM   #13
mauro

G.T. Interesting story.
Too bad that this person is not with us anymore to provide more details about where the vacation house was located.

Anyhow, the interesting aspect is that Paul Mauser mentioned a sword that was passed to him by his father Andreas Mauser that worked in the Royal Arms Factory in Oberndorf as a gunsmith and was mainly involved in the sword production.

Paul had a sword signed by his father, and the one you mentioned in your story could be this one.

Impossible to verify without the sword today, but this is what I can say about this history.

Cheers,
Mauro
Unread 04-25-2018, 12:01 AM   #14
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default places he mentioned...

He said the towns he was primarily involved with were Erpel and Unkel... a 48 hour rocket tank battle... and were located close together? there was a third town, but really, I feel fortunate to remember the two... He said the staff at the Paul Mauser house treated him just the same as high class guest?.... I should have documented it ... The sword was supposedly ornate, as this gentleman was pretty fussy as to what he sent home...
BTW, in one of the battles, he said they fought in a lumber yard, and that the stacks of lumber absorbed the energy, he said his mortar crews were shooting almost straight up to have then rounds land on just the other side of the stack of lumber in order to have any effect. He also talked about all the wire men he lost that were just a step behind, or on the other side of a doorway... pretty humbling to someone like me who was never in that situation... best to all, til...lat'r....GT
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 04-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #15
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

I Really Lamour You Both!!!! Merci Eric. Tres Bien Mon Amie~
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 04-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #16
mauro

Thank you guys for the positive feedback.
Cheers,
Mauro
Unread 04-26-2018, 07:42 AM   #17
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,198 Posts

Since Paul Mauser died in 1914 and the battle in Remagen was in 1945, 30 years later, I guess that a holiday home with staff would have belonged to another Paul Mauser, perhaps to his nephew Paul Mauser II.

Great info. We should look into that. I was at the remains of the Remagen bridge 2 years ago.

I found this quote
http://www.62vgd.de/78th/Frank_Camm/...bridgehead.htm

The mansion we occupied that first night in Erpel is pictured in our 78th division memory book. We soon learned it was the home of Herr Mauser, the German munitions magnate. We remained there a day, allowing occupants to stay in the cellar. As we were leaving, Sergeant Titus told me the owner of the house wanted to speak to me and ushered in an old gentleman. The old man handed me a small package wrapped in white tissue paper and said in English, “I’m Mr. Mauser, owner of this house. I want to thank you for the way your men have treated my house. Please accept this as a token of my appreciation.” On opening the package, I was dumbfounded to find a brand-new .32 caliber Mauser pistol. I thanked Mr. Mauser and left, realizing only later that Germans under our control had to turn in all their guns. The pistol had no ammunition, but I managed to get some and carried it in my hip pocket until the end of combat. It was much handier for night use than my army carbine. Of course it was of little value in the daytime.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160813_130113-800x450.jpg
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	72165  

Name:	20160813_125746-800x450.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	72166  

Name:	20160813_113126-800x450.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	72167  

Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 04-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #18
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,198 Posts

Found it.

The villa was purchased by Karl Wilhelm Mauser in 1941 and is located in Bad Honnef, not far from Remagen and Erpel.

Karl Wilhelm had nothing to do with Mauser in Oberndorf but was affiliated with Mauser in Köln. The company that was founded by Alfons Mauser, son of Wilhelm Mauser. This company was specialized in sheet metal production. Famous for inventing the steel oil drum. They were also leading in metal office furniture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1280px-Bad_Honnef_Uhlhof_Villa_Mauser.jpg
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	72169  

Attached Images

Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 04-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #19
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Honnof

Hi Gerben! And Thank you! Honnof was the third town he mentioned, that I could not remember?... Also, he said the Mauser house was pretty tall and good for an OP, Lt. Col. Kennedy also said he slept in Mausers bed!
Maybe one of the spoils of winning! ... Thanks again Vlim.. til...lat'r....GT
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 04-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #20
mauro

Thank you Gerben for the interesting find.
G.T. to better clarify the story that now is clear.
The mentioned house has nothing to do with the Paul Mauser himself nor with the descendants of Paul Mauser.

The house is related to the descendants of Wilhelm Mauser, brother of Paul and founder with him of the Mauser Company.

What you need to know is that from 1888, 4 years after the death of Wilhelm Mauser, the relationship between Paul Mauser and the son of Wilhelm, Alfons Mauser started deteriorating. Alfons blamed Paul for not recognizing the role of his father Wilhelm in the development of the "M71" Rifle.

The result of this is that Alfons Mauser left Oberndorf and moved to Koln where he set up his own Company.

Coming back to your original point about the Mauser sword, it is most probably possible that the Mauser brothers have both a sword made by the father Andres.

Interesting story indeed, too bad that cannot be verified being the sword gone.

Cheers,
Mauro