LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 04-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
Major Tom
User

Default Trying to learn luger language

While browsing thru various threads here I have come upon some terms I don't understand. One poster said he used the "hot pin test' on his side plate. What is that? Another poster was using the word "sneaker pistol". What's that?
Thanks
Unread 04-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Concerning the "hot pin test", check page 15 of the FAQ on bakelite grips...

I don't know what a "sneaker" Luger is, but a "sneak" was one of the Lugers made while Germany was under the terms of the Versailles treaty prohibiting them from making military handguns (except for Simson's production for the 100,000 man Weimar army).

There was considerable "under the table" secret arms production going on when Germany wasn't supposed to be making military caliber guns. Those Lugers are referred to as "sneak" Lugers.

Some of the deception was rather clever. The Versailles treaty specified that inspectors were to go to the arms manufacturer sites and verify that clandestine production wasn't taking place. Documents were required from the manufacturers. A little tweak here or there and inventory seemed to disappear. Sometimes misleading descriptions were used to deflect attention. In the new book on Paul Mauser, some of this is briefly discussed...

I expect that much of the inspection now being done under arms treaties is subject to similar manipulation by some of the parties involved.
Unread 04-26-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,040 Posts

Tom,
invest some enjoyable time in reading All of the stickys- from beginning to end.
There is no substitute for doing your "home work".

When I first came here, in addition to the stickys, I read all the posts in each forum, some go back years and run to the 100's.
Sounds strange, but that is the way I approach a new subject, and it gets one up to speed in about 3 months. There is just no substitute for time spent doing the grunt work. It does not all "make sense" at first, but gradually the pieces fall into place.

Much has been said about owning books, but you have pretty much torpedoed that suggestion for yourself. You really could/should consider the dvd of the Sturgess/Goertz book for about $40- even if you have to learn how to use a cd/dvd in your computer- most are capable today.

That DVD would get you a three volume 1800+ page reference book that will answer many questions for you, has great pictures, is engrossing in its detail and history. But it would not explain the "hot pin test", or use of a black light, and some other tricks of collectors.

The search feature of this forum is also a great resource. Many threads contain information about "sneak" lugers; which is a pretty much obsolete and old collector's term.
Unread 04-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

well, the 'sneak' term is actually the middle link that is blank. That is what most people think of as a sneak luger, although what Marc said about is also true.

See the FAQ for further information...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,603 Times in 933 Posts

Hi Tom,
I second Tom's advice. When I joined this forum, and Jan Still's Gunboards forum, a few years ago, I read through the archived sections that dealt with Imperial Lugers, my particular area of interest. When I say "through" I mean ALL the posts in EVERY thread going back to the very earliest, taking notes along the way. It took me a couple of hours a night for about three months. Bear in mind that I was a collector of many years standing when I joined and already owned most of the Luger reference books that had been published at that time. Nevertheless I found it to be a most enriching learning experience and have never regretted all those "wasted evenings".
Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #6
Leather Neck
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
You really could/should consider the dvd of the Sturgess/Goertz book for about $40- even if you have to learn how to use a cd/dvd in your computer- most are capable today.

That DVD would get you a three volume 1800+ page reference book that will answer many questions for you, has great pictures, is engrossing in its detail and history. But it would not explain the "hot pin test", or use of a black light, and some other tricks of collectors.
Don,

Do you know of any place that is offering just the DVD currently? I've searched Simpson's website, but I'm only seeing the DVD in conjunction with the book. Thanks!

-Dustin
Unread 04-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,040 Posts

I had to call them to buy the DVD; but that was a year or more ago- they may have changed their offering by now.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 04-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather Neck View Post
Don,

Do you know of any place that is offering just the DVD currently? I've searched Simpson's website, but I'm only seeing the DVD in conjunction with the book. Thanks!

-Dustin
Calling is best; use your credit card to get it quicker. Mine was $35 + $15 S&H; I sent a money order while another member used the CC. He got his three weeks sooner than me.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 04-26-2017, 11:17 PM   #9
Leather Neck
User

Thanks!