LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 07-03-2015, 09:58 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,001 Posts
Default Repro Drum magazines, more info.!

Hello to all, I've had a chance to take apart one of the early Numrich drum magazines and made some interesting discoveries? First of all, the magazine was being worked on because of insufficient tension when fully loaded? When I checked the tension, there was barely 5 pounds at full lock, that is about where original drum mag springs start!!! It should have been around 10 pounds at that point. I removed the mainspring for inspection, and discovered it is approx. .080" less width then the originals as well???... Soooo, I had a chance to install one of my new GTHQ reproduction mainsprings and wind it full tight to the lock point. Good news is... it fit! Best news is, it was the correct tension! .... I loaded it up to 32 rounds, and with the firing pin removed, and hand cycled all of them thru without a hitch! Ran perfect! ... I'm pretty happy! If you're having trouble with your repro drum not functioning, the spring tension could well be the trouble! BTW, unless you're going to drop into an enemy trench in the next fifteen minutes or so, I would recommend loading all drums, original or repro, to 25 rounds max! The last half doz or so, really puts a strain on the whole assembly?? Well, best to all, til...lat'r....GT.....

Last edited by G.T.; 07-04-2015 at 12:53 PM.
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 10 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 07-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default more of the more info!

Hello again, another annoying shortcoming of the repro drums is the little spring loaded button the follower! Every one of them has been loose, or has fallen out when disassemble from the drum.......... I straighten all up and re-set them, but it is not a permanent cure at all.... I'm still working on it! .... Results soon... Best to all, til...lat'r....GT.....
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 07-04-2015, 11:22 PM   #3
Jim Mac
User

Are the reproduction being sold? If so where? Thanks. Jim
Jim Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #4
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Are the reproduction being sold? If so where? Thanks. Jim
Numrich
Unread 07-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Best news so far!!!!!

Hello to all! Spent most of the day working on a Numrich repro. and almost all of that effort was tuning for fit? It seems, as if some fit right out of the bucket.. and some you can't insert, or remove without a dead blow hammer!!!!.... Well, I can now cure that on most of them! If you have a real tight magazine well, and a far out of tolerance drum...you're just screwed! ... But, most fall into the category of examples we can correct! ... So, if you want to use yours for shoot'in, send it to me and I'll repair it, If you want to dump it or the loader, let me know as I can use the parts! ... Best to all, til...latr..GT....
The following 3 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 07-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,122 Times in 1,433 Posts

Drum on the way for GT Magic!

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2015, 11:44 PM   #7
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,040 Posts

Just ordered one from Numrich to be drop shipped to GT for his magic tune up!
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 08-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Latest on drum upgrades!

OK, breaking news! If you have been following the discussions about drum magazine deficiencies ... then you are aware it all comes down to fit & function! ... The fit part, as from now on, I have 100% cured!!!! On most, to a drop free empty condition!.........
As to function, I have determined that, although the drums vary slightly, the main issue confronting function is mainspring tension... as we have discussed at length... The repro drum springs are anemic, and barely work at their max preload!!!....... and perform even worse as they unwind???
My G.T. replacement main spring is considerably better, as it is the correct width and length. Although it to has to be wound to the max capacity, it has the correct minimum tensions to operate the drum successfully and consistently. Or at least it has done so on my tests here at home... .... But, it really needs a small increase in thickness on the added bridal spring to be exactly the same as the originals, which I believe would add just that little smidgen of extra strength so necessary for function thru the transition from mainspring to coil spring......... Sooooooo, you ask, what does this all boil down to? Well, on Monday, I'm going to re-order more SAE1075 at .025" X .785 (.005" increase in thickness) for the bridal spring upgrade!!!!!! again!!! Anyway, then they will be dimensionally perfect! And, I'll, of course, will have to sell three more! ...........BTW, Jer, if yours don't function correctly for you, I'll switch them out at no cost, I pay shipping both ways..... (I think they will work fine though) we will see! Best all, til....lat'r...GT......

BTW, when German engineers finally got to this point in their testing, they probably exclaimed, "Holy crap, it works!"...

Last edited by G.T.; 08-22-2015 at 10:42 PM.
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 08-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Crazy GT..I will thoroughly test your drum when I get to it in Oct. It's in AZ and I am 1000 miles away from it! I am certain it will be perfect. Your work is always top notch.

For those of you who have a Numrich drum..better get it modified before Crazy GT comes to his senses and gets a real job...You have to appreciate a man with this much dedication! Impressive..

Thanks GT! Keep up the good work..I for one appreciate it no end.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

The following 2 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 08-24-2015, 10:22 PM   #10
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default steel on the way!

OOOooohhh! Lordy, lordy, lordy!!! will this never end!......... .025" X .785 SAE1075 ordered and on the way!!!! By the way, who's supposed to be watching me???.... .... More fun ahead! Best to all, til....lat'r....GT.....
Unread 09-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #11
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Update!

The thicker bridal spring steel arrived Friday, and I have been in the shop all weekend making test springs to see if we are any closer to our quest!..... And the preliminary answer yes! YES!!!! The new spring mimics the original in EVERY respect!!!! I could not be more pleased!!!!!!........... I feel somewhat like a mad scientist!! It's alive, it's alive!!! ...Ok, maybe not quite like that?? I'm hoping this is the NUMRICH drum cure.... Stand by...more to follow! .... best to all, til....lat'r....GT....
The following 5 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 09-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #12
DonVoigt
User

Sounds like good progress!

Keep us posted.

We're going to have to nick-name you "Job"; as in the patience of Job.
Unread 09-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #13
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default patience....

Hi Don, I agree there are similarities... except I think Job would have quit by now...... ..... best to all, til...lat'r....GT......
Unread 11-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #14
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Breaking news! Drum repair progress!

Well, believe it or not, for the last five months, Non stop! I have been working on / testing / modifying / and upgrading the Numrich repro drum magazine and loader...... And, just this morning, at the range, achieved 100% function, ...........thru several strings using Winchester Range/ Target ammo.
Although it doesn't sound like much of an accomplishment, it is practically impossible to get that type of performance out of the box stock drum unless some serious modifications are performed.
With the assistance of Don Voigt we have nailed down all the modifications necessary, and are in the final stages of tuning to prepare for re-manufacture of the problem drums that come available. I spent a lot of time, ammo and money on the upgrades, and will for now keep them confidential, but let me just say, they are extensive, and necessary! One of them, as you already know, is the addition of the new mainspring! And that is just the start.... The loading tool has undergone some serious modifications as well. and will be custom matched to the drum it is to service.... It's not going to be a cheap fix, as it isn't cost effective to do in the first place, but if you want to impress your buddies at the range, or want something more than a paper weight, then we are your guys! ... By the way, for the 4 or 5 customers drums we have already worked on, please send them back, I will do the subsequent modifications necessary, no charge, and let you know about several that are an option, but will incur a cost... Best to all, til....lat'r.....GT....
The following 4 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 11-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #15
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I had no doubt that you'd have them straightened out in no time.
I have one here that is unmod'ed, so if you want to have at that one send me a PM and I'll get it off to you.
Thanks for all your efforts here, G. T.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2015, 08:02 PM   #16
DonVoigt
User

GT has been working diligently, I do believe some every day!
He and I have communicated daily it seems for at least 3 months, often 10 times a day and well into the night when a solution seemed close. Member Tim Hawkins loaned me an original drum for inspection and reverse engineering, which was also helpful.

I know he has expended many hundreds of rounds of ammo and scores of hours on this project to date.

As most of you no doubt know, the trommel mag was a challenge when it was new- and 100 year old drums are not reliable either.

Not only will GT be able to upgrade the Numrich repro drum to use-able status, he can replace broken or weak main springs in original drums also.
Unread 12-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #17
5card
User

Do you know if the current Numrich drums are the GT versions?
5card is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #18
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It's my understanding that Numrich is modifying all of the drums it has so the answer would be yes?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 12-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #19
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default not quite yet!!!

Hi to Jer & all! Not quite yet!........... I have only submitted test drums so far? I will post a note here as soon as the first batch of Numrich drums are completed! ..........I have enough materials for the first 50 or so... and will be on task soon! Please be patient as the repair is complex and labor intensive! We are streamlining the process and tooling ..... BUT, any drum repaired by me from now on will be GT stamped, so whether they go thru me first, or Numrich first, they will have to show the stamp to have been tuned?.... GT stamped NUMRICH drums will be available soon, they (Numrich) just have to say "Ready, Set, Go!" ...... ... Best to all, til...lat'r....GT......