LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-20-2015, 11:34 PM   #21
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem556 View Post
Wow Sieg....you must have cornered the remaining world market for LSA! Yeah, when I was in the infantry, we hoarded the remaining stocks of LSA we could find for the big guns....100 rounds through a Ma Deuce would sling and burn every drop of CLP off and the gun would be running metal against metal.
Hi,

Here is an outstanding source of LSA, as well as, all other military oils and greases:

sprucemtsurplus.com

Look for NSN 9150-00-753-4686 for one gallon cans of LSA (Medium Weight) for $25.00 each. This is the Castrol product and is excellent.

They also have the harder to find LSA-T. This is the higher tech one with the Teflon additive.

This site sells everything surplus, not just oils and greases, so have at least two hours or so when you go "shopping".

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 05-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #22
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts
Default Always My Favorite

One can lasts forever~Order on Amazon~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bal 002.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	48971  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 08-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #23
Chris_1522
User

I use Ballistol (including on my Lugers) and love the stuff. You might think it stinks but in my opinion it doesn't smell nearly as bad as other gun cleaners. It's not a great lubricant, though. I only use it as a cleaner and rust preventative.

Since in common usage it is emulsified in water, it also works for cleaning up after corrosive ammo.
Chris_1522 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Chris_1522 for your post:
Unread 08-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #24
4 Scale
User

It clearly has cleaning properties, as when I use it on a q-tip I get material transfer.

I'm not a chemist, but I do believe it can be both a solvent and a lubricant. The solvent part appears to evaporate, and the remaining residue is the lubricant. If you spray or otherwise place a quantity of Ballistol on or in a non-porus surface, after a few minutes you will notice a volume decrease, that must be evaporation. I associate rapid evaporation with many solvents. The oder also also diminishes rapidly, which strongly suggests something is evaporating.

As far as the smell overall, it is not as bad as other cleaning solvents like acetone and Hoppe's.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #25
rolandtg
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Since you gents have filled me in a little about the ingredients, those seemingly wacky claims now actually make some sense. Non-toxic, antiseptic properties, etc. I'll have to check PubMed to see if I can find a study on its efficacy as a "tonic"!
I think what you really need is the MSDS!
rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2015, 06:04 PM   #26
Olle
User

FrogLube has a very similar smell to it, and the marketing claims are very similar to Ballistol's (except for the medicinal part). I'm just wondering if this is the same stuff in a new bottle...?
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2015, 07:24 PM   #27
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I have 2 cans of Ballistol under my sink and haven't touched it for 3 years. I don't trust a liquid to protect something from another liquid. Wax has been used forever for protection. It is referred to as a "MICRO-CRYSTALLINE WAX POLISH" PS it smells but no way as bad Ballistol. No worse then polishing your dress shoes! Its label "Apply sparingly with soft cloth and buff gently. Resists liquids spillage. Does not show finger marks" They sell it on Amazon!! My greatest endorsement!! Wax always protected leather and protect all of my valuables! PS Makes your holsters shine like a new pair of shoes!!! One small can lasts forever!! Eric
Unread 08-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #28
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Eric

I'm amazed how much you defend wax also for firearms... but I would not call BALLISTOL oil just a liquid... then have you checked our friend (Hickok 45) what he thinks about BALLISOL OIL?

No really jokes apart I've been using mainly BALLISTOL but not only BALLISTOL for several decades now without any issue, surely is not the best of the best of gun oils, I'll post a video of another of my "gurus": Bill Wilson.

Have a nice week end Erik

Sergio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iQNiAv998o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQYEOB0glwM
Unread 08-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #29
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thank you my dear friend. Great Weekend No Storm!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 11-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #30
Levi 42
User

I just came across this posting and decided to add my 2 cents.

After being a Hoppe's #9 sniffer for 40 years I decided to give Ballistol a chance (after seeing a post that Hitchcock 45 put on You-tube). The smell is so annoying to me I only gave it one chance! I noticed that if I put rags that had gotten in contact with it, into my garbage bags, the local raccoons would not tear up my bags.

So each week I spray some into my garbage bags and "Voilą", I've never had another problems with the raccoons!!
but the stuff is not used on my gun cleaning bench!

Levi
Levi 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Levi 42 for your post:
Unread 11-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #31
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Now thats an endorsement!!
Unread 11-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #32
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi 42 View Post
I just came across this posting and decided to add my 2 cents.

After being a Hoppe's #9 sniffer for 40 years I decided to give Ballistol a chance (after seeing a post that Hitchcock 45 put on You-tube). The smell is so annoying to me I only gave it one chance! I noticed that if I put rags that had gotten in contact with it, into my garbage bags, the local raccoons would not tear up my bags.

So each week I spray some into my garbage bags and "Voilą", I've never had another problems with the raccoons!!
but the stuff is not used on my gun cleaning bench!

Levi
That's how they advertise it: "Can be used for anything"
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Olle for your post: