LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-26-2001, 08:34 PM   #1
Marvin
User

Default Re: Weimar era Lugers

Bill,

You are correct about a lot of history in the Weimar Lugers. Many of them were WWI reworks, some new made ones, and many served throughout the Third Reich. What a history these pistols have. When the Import Marked pistols began coming into the US, there were a lot of the Weimar and WWI Lugers in these captured pistols. That alone shows that they served Germany for many years.

marvin

Unread 03-26-2001, 09:29 PM   #2
bcc

I fully agree with you guys. This relates to my respect and maybe even preference for guns that were clearly work horses and can show fair wear and tear (as oposed to post war abuse and alteration) and may not be in almost new condition. As you stated most Weimar Lugers were Imperial era that survived WWI and the attempted communist revolutions of 1919-1921 (except for a few 1920's made Simsons). Jan Still does an excellent job of documenting the re-work and re-issue that these pistols under went. Impressive also is the fact that perhaps as many as 200,000 of these pistols (Army, Navy, and Police) were used during the Third Reich period. This is to say that all surviving Weimar Lugers saw continued use during the 1933-45 era. When one adds the Weimar Luger numbers to the Third Reich era production you get a total number of Lugers that were used in WWII that is somewhat (but not tremendously) higher than total P.38 production for the war!

Unread 03-27-2001, 08:11 AM   #3
Marvin
User

Another good thing about the Weimar Lugers is the price is still reasonable on these pistols. it does not seem that there are a lot of collectors that "specialize" in the particular era. I feel the history behind these make them a "sleeper" in the collecting field. I need to find me a nice Sneak Luger one of these days. After just buying a nice P.38, I will have to wait a while to get the Sneak.

Marvin

Unread 03-27-2001, 08:47 AM   #4
Ted
User

Marvin, I Did NOT get the picture or the email unless you sent it to my work address! Ted

Ted's Luger Strawing Service