LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
Quiet1
User

Default 42 - 1940 c Block Magazine Question

Once again please indulge my calling on the forum's collective knowledge, expertise and experience with a naive question.

The answer may be obvious but, since I've begun searching for a magazine that's "close" to my Luger's SN and block letter, I'm no longer certain of precisely what I'm looking for.

My 42 series 1940 is serial number 4897c.

Can someone please inform me of exactly what stampings and markings, and where they should be located, on an original magazine correct for this gun?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Quiet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #2
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Lance,

Your c-block gun could be correct with a properly serialized Mauser folded metal blue body magazine with the full serial number and SE655 on the base.

But also used in this time frame, i.e. c-block, was the Haenel magazine (sometimes incorrectly called the extruded body) with zig-zag spring, and the Haenel code 122 on the body together with the Eagle 37 acceptance stamp. The Eagle 37 may also occasionally be seen on the concave pinned aluminum base base where the full serial number will be stamped.

So the correct magazine will be serialized to the gun complete with suffix. A period correct magazine will be either of the two types with a serial number as close as possible to that of the gun.

Hope this helps.

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to guns3545 for your post:
Unread 06-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
Quiet1
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns3545 View Post
. . . . . . . . . So the correct magazine will be serialized to the gun complete with suffix. A period correct magazine will be either of the two types with a serial number as close as possible to that of the gun. . .Hope this helps. . . .
Yes! That's an enormous help, John. It is exactly what I was hoping to discover.

(Interestingly, I recently acquired a Walther ac/40, 1940 "a" block, P38 and discovered a "correct" magazine could also be one of two different types due to transitioning of magazine suppliers.)

Those turbulent early war times must have produced a lot of improvement, improvisation and modification as manufactures strove to increase production and decrease costs.

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your in depth reply. I genuinely appreciate it.

Quiet1 is offline   Reply With Quote