LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 05-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #21
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I'm pretty comfortable with the later S/42, 42, and BYF guns myself. They say the metallurgy was at it's peak toward the end.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #22
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

If I had to pick a Luger to use at the range I think I would choose a 1942 P08, when the metallurgy was supposed to be better and compared to a WWI perhaps the gun should be less used and abused.

Sergio
Unread 05-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #23
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

1936 is a VERY good vintage......quality respected across the board.........
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #24
danielsand
User

I shoot my all matching 1918 Erfurt. I purchased ALL potentially breakable parts, and fitted them to the gun. Just in case. But honestly,......I'm an old selfish bastard, and I really don't care what happens to my "collection" (or the world in general) after I die!

I put "collection" in parenthesis, because I don't "collect". I just accumulated some weapons that I like, and I shoot them all, whenever I feel like.

I admire all members here that profess to be concerned about their collection been kept "for future generations". I have this one life, and I intend to live/enjoy it to the fullest. As far as I'm concerned, the world can cease to exist after me (as it will for ME!).

I never acquired a weapon that I considered "an investment" (I invest in other things), and the "future value" of anything I own doesn't concern me. Keeping a weapon (a car, a watch, or anything worth considering "collecting") for looking at it, is not my game. I WILL use everything I paid for with my hard earned money, and have a TON of fun doing it.

Just my 2 cents.
danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to danielsand for your post:
Unread 05-22-2015, 03:34 AM   #25
Sergio Natali
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsand View Post
I shoot my all matching 1918 Erfurt. I purchased ALL potentially breakable parts, and fitted them to the gun. Just in case. But honestly,......I'm an old selfish bastard, and I really don't care what happens to my "collection" (or the world in general) after I die!

I put "collection" in parenthesis, because I don't "collect". I just accumulated some weapons that I like, and I shoot them all, whenever I feel like.

I admire all members here that profess to be concerned about their collection been kept "for future generations". I have this one life, and I intend to live/enjoy it to the fullest. As far as I'm concerned, the world can cease to exist after me (as it will for ME!).

I never acquired a weapon that I considered "an investment" (I invest in other things), and the "future value" of anything I own doesn't concern me. Keeping a weapon (a car, a watch, or anything worth considering "collecting") for looking at it, is not my game. I WILL use everything I paid for with my hard earned money, and have a TON of fun doing it.

Just my 2 cents.
Instead I'm a gun collector, not an addict, not that there is a distinction... just sounds better...

jokes apart, probably you've got the right attitude after all

Sergio
Unread 05-22-2015, 04:01 AM   #26
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
Not sure if I asked this or not. I am under the impresion that the best of the Lugers (as far as function and durability) are those made just prior to and at the beginning of WWII. Would that be Mauser "42 marked Lugers only?
Mauser marked S/42; 42 and BYF from 1937 to 1942 any of them would be a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
I'm pretty comfortable with the later S/42, 42, and BYF guns myself. They say the metallurgy was at it's peak toward the end.
dju
And I didn't see your post that said pretty much the same thing I did.

Last edited by kurusu; 05-22-2015 at 11:24 AM.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2015, 09:41 AM   #27
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,532 Times in 944 Posts

Unfortunately that attitude has gotten us where we are today. I seriously feel we need to be concerned about the future. And I am an old fart.
Unread 05-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #28
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlyon View Post
unfortunately that attitude has gotten us where we are today. I seriously feel we need to be concerned about the future. And i am an old fart.
+1
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #29
Diver6106
User

Oh, I am concerned about the future, but gun collections should be mostly enjoyed. There will always be some 'preserved' in museums, armory collections, safes, etc. But the preservation of individual's items that concern me more are the aircraft of the wars. They still fly the old B-17s and others, and every so often we loose one and those are REALLY irreplaceable. But I can't really fault those who own them and want to fly them. Because they see history and the future as remembering the sacrifices of the past in real time, which made that - this future possible. I guess that is also true for antique firearms shooters. Sometimes bringing a Luger to the range opens up conversations with others, including the future and the next generation of 'collectors.'
Diver6106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #30
Sergio Natali
User

Smile

quote "...They still fly the old B-17s and others..."

Some people would be interested also on the most decorated US ships of WWII but come on an old Luger is definitely more easy to preserve!

:-)

Sergio