LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 11-06-2002, 02:14 AM   #1
rufe-snow
User

Post HENRY FORDS LUGER?

This is the last Military Handgun that I kept from my collecting days back in the 60's and 70's.
I got it from a elderly gentleman who had a interesting story, (abet unsubstantiated) telling how he acquired it.
According to his story, he was a hunting guide in the U P of Michigan before the war. In 1940 he guided Edsel Ford on a hunt. Edsel was so pleased at the outcome of the trip, that at the end he presented this Luger to him as a token of his gratitude.
Unfortunately at the time, I didn't think of getting a notarized statement from the seller. I always regretted this, as it might have made tracing the provenance easier.
In the 80's I sent photos and a request for information to the original Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI. After a number of months a curator got back to me with a rather ambiguous response and invited me to come to the museum to research the matter in depth.
Just recently I contacted the newly opened Benson Ford Research Center at the same location, with about the same results. At least this time they were able to tell me that Edsel had a "Pistol Permit" during that time frame.
I havn't done any research projects since my long ago school days, maybe it would be worth my wile taking a trip to Dearborn and digging in the stacks? I'm sure it would be a daunting task going through 30 odd years of reference material.
I always hoped the Luger had belonged to cranky old Henry originally, he was a mean old SOB. I could just Imagine him taking after Walter Reuther and U.A.W.ers with it.
O yeah, the Luger, I almost forgot. It's a common ordinary original Test Eagle, all matching, in standard Test Eagle condition. Maybe 70/70, it's a subjective thing, I've always had trouble grading Lugers.
Pictures are attached, (It looks a lot better in the pictures then it is?). I'm sure, doing my photo finishing at Wally World has something to do with it.

Unread 11-06-2002, 09:12 AM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

There has been a discussion on the forum on the Model 1900 Test Eagles. Would it be possible to include the information on your Test Eagle?
Johnny Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2002, 09:38 AM   #3
rufe-snow
User

It's in the 68XX range. When I first joined, the info was sent to Ron. He already had the S. N. on his data base. This led me to believe, that the curator I first contacted at the Ford Museum in the 80's had disseminated the data i had sent him within the Luger community.
Unread 11-07-2002, 08:06 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Richard, Your 68xx US test luger's serial number could have been parts of the Bannerman purchase from the US govt in 1907 and have been on the collector's data base since then. Tom H.
Unread 11-07-2002, 12:21 PM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
Tom,
The 68XX Test Luger was part of the Bannerman purchase. However, the list I maintain consists only of surviving pieces that have been observed or reported and does not contain many of the Bannerman Lugers. To make it onto my list a Test Luger would have had to have been reported by someone within the last 20-odd years. Old number 68XX was obtained from a list maintained by another collector about 5 or 6 years ago. Unfortunately, I do not know if he saw it or if he obtained the number from another source.
Unread 12-04-2002, 08:17 PM   #6
Big Norm
RIP

Rufe-Snow,
I had a simular experience. I was offered a post war Mauser Luger and I still wonder if I made a mistake not taking it. The gun came with a permit for it issued to Mayor Coleman Young. You talk about feisty gentlemen, Mayor Young ranks right up there with the best.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote